Author Topic: Possible buyer for older RE..what engine do I want?  (Read 1769 times)

Shoebox1.1

• Scooter
on: December 23, 2013, 01:50:26 am
I'd love a new c5 but the budget won't allow. I have a bike I'm selling and will have 3-4 k to spend on a RE
Do I want an iron motor or avl?  I like the idea of upgrading the intake and exhaust on a lean burn   I guess what I'm asking between the2 engines which is more durable? Thanks! Gus

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 01:42:39 pm
There are some issues with either of these engines, and you can take your pick as to which issues you want to have to overcome.
I think that the AVL has an inherently stronger and more durable lower end of the engine, but the Iron Barrel is much better to modify and easier to modify and get better results. But, then you have to improve the Iron Barrel crank/rod/bearing assembly to a better quality arrangement. The Iron Barrel was in production for much longer, and ultimately will have more parts available for it in the long run, as a classic.

I have a lead on a 99 Iron Barrel from a guy in central Illinois who I talked to the other day on the phone about Fireballing it. He has decided that he has to sell it instead, and he has a pretty good price on it. It's a red DeLuxe model with some mods already done, like a higher compression piston and an Amal 32mm carb from Dan Holmes.
If you are interested, then just email me or PM me, and I can get you in touch with him.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:48:24 pm
     By the time you modify the bike and fix the issues that are almost inevitable in any used bike, you will be approaching the cost of a new B5, or perhaps a non- current year new C5. With the warranty and the ability to go on the freeway that the older models do not have, it may be more economical to purchase new.
     When purchasing a used vehicle it is too easy to focus on the immediate lower cost without factoring in long term economy. For example, borrowing $3,000 at 10% gives a payment of $97/mo for 36 months. With $3,500 down you are in new C5 territory.
     Purchase a used bike for $3,500, install a carb and pipe and some repair and you are pushing $5,000. You will have no payments, but you will also have no warranty or the ability to go on the freeway, or even cruise reliably at 60 MPH.
     That's OK if that's what you want, but you should really consider more than just the initial purchase cost. I have helped many people sort out their needs. If you would like to discuss this further you can call me at 1-866-VINCEMC. I'm on holiday hours, but I will be in the store Thur/Fri/Sat.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:01:55 pm by Vince »

Shoebox1.1

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:30:47 pm
Thanks for the replies! I can not finance anything right now... It's got to be a cash deal right now with little to no mods.  For sure in the future!   Thx!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:21:26 pm
I restored my '58 Trailblazer to about 85-90% new myself for about $2500, maybe even less.
  If you do all the work yourself and don't have to source anything out, a bike can be restored for fairly cheap.  Besides BUILDING a bike is 10x more satisfying than BUYING a new bike.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:32:47 pm
Scotties correct on that one.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.