Author Topic: gone crazy?  (Read 1889 times)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
on: December 21, 2013, 07:42:54 am
So since I finally decided upon a name and therefore a theme for my bike; General Martok and obviously a Klingon theme...

The next logical step is to take a blow torch to the tank and various other parts of the bike to make it look as though it's been in a few battles with the Romulans or whomever the fuzz I feel like battling with, Because "today is a Good Day to Die"

WAIIIIT!!!

I'm not that stupid, even if the aforementioned statement holds true.

My plan is to simulate phaser/disruptor blasts in places that are already in need of touching up. The bike came with some less than perfect touch up paint work on the tank and has since seen a few scratches and scrapes... it ain't perfect, but thanks to it being a Military Bullet, it actually looks cooler scraped and dirty...

I figure to sand off the clear coat in a few places that are already messed up, as in on the tank where there is some touch up paint that looks about two shades off and two times too thick... then I will blast the area with black heavy duty spray paint (any better ideas are welcome). the idea to give it a burnt look... since a vehicle in motion would be left with streaks of battle damage instead of single spots I was thinking about streaking it along the tank, but giving it a direct hit to the front fender with the scuff and paint method, but this time since it's not the GAS tank, I was gonna hit it with my propane torch to give it a real burnt and damaged look.

As a note, I will never be selling this bike anyway, It is all I have left besides my cat, that means anything to me since my "divorce" (end of very serious 7+ year relationship where marriage was there just no preist and paper). So I am keeping the bike... I couldn't get enough for it to buy a decent car anyway... and would regret it for the rest of my life if I did sell it, and if I ever get lucky enough to have a kid who likes star trek and motorcycles, GREAT! I'll give it to them, If not, when I die it won't matter anyway...

So that and maybe one more battle damage on one of the ammo cans, probably following the same path as the line from the tank.

All in the hopes of making the bike 100% unique, 100% Geek, and 100% mine.

I also want to purchase another high powered green laser, my last one got stolen at a party where it got passed around to more people than a doobie at a Jimmy Buffett concert.

I then want to mount the laser with a beam expander to make it look bigger and yet actually make it safer, in one or both of the pilot light locations, whereby giving my bike the requisite disruptors, only for use upon asshole cagers of course. I already decommissioned my electric start and re-purposed it's switch to my ooogaaahh horn, but there is always another switch to be added or re-purposed for activating the disruptors.

Well, I do believe I've gone crazy but, I know I like Star Trek, and I know I like my bike... why the heck not then?

K'plah!
&
Peace!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:35:50 pm
I did that once to my Revell model of the shuttlecraft "Galileo" using a candle to simulate it having burned up on re-entry. It was artfully melted in all the right spots and the candle deposited a cool looking layer of soot in the front and along the length of the nacelles.
I provided the sound affects. :)
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:13 pm
I wouldn't say crazy, it's your bike, as long as you enjoy it then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.   As for the paint, it might not be too expensive to have 3 or 4 blaster scars airbrushed on from a local artist. Just a thought, especially if you find one that's a Trekkie...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:49:24 pm
I would recommend against burning the paint with a torch.  While it would look cool and unique, burning the paint will kill the molecular bond between the paint and the metal.  Once this happens, not only is bare metal exposed to the elements, but the paints' integrity is also jeopardized you will notice that the paint will continue to peel up and eventually you are going to have a bare spot spot about 6" bigger than the spot you burned.  And knowing where you live, if that happens, your metal will be completely rotted with in 5 years.  We don't want or need this.  If you truly want to do this yourself and not pay someone else to do it (I'm assuming because you can't afford custom airbrushing like a lot of us) then I would look into DIY videos on youtube on how to paint these type of effects.  Honestly, your cheapest, possibly your easiest bet, is to get some model paint and paint brushes and skillfully paint the graphics on by hand.  You can probably get all the brushes and paint you need for about $20-$50 from Hobby Lobby.  Shit you know what?  I'm going into work today to paint this Impreza, I just got a great idea for making "burnt" marks using black & gray spray paint and some stencils.  Frank I know you probably got the itch to do this soon, but can you hold off for a day maybe 2?  This idea I have I think is going to work, I just want to put it to work to make sure it works before I go telling you to do something that may not work.   :o    Bare with me, I'll re-post as soon as I get a chance to play around at work this afternoon.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 01:52:29 pm
I hope you are joking about the laser...  That is highly illegal and unbelievably dangerous to any traffic no matter which direction they are traveling. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:56:10 pm
You may get more than you bargained for putting a "blow torch" on the tank.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 03:02:46 pm
"Crazy" is a relative term.
Are you presuming that we are all "sane"?
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 03:32:23 pm
Their's a multilegged creature on your shoulder..I shall remove it... :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:46:34 am
FIRST, NO BLOW TORCH ON GAS TANK, THAT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE!

second, yeah I can wait and see if the effect works, get back with me on that Scottie.

third, thanks for the advice against actually burning the paint, I was wondering about that, glad my suspicions were confirmed before I did anything.

D. I will not be doing this for a bit, its just a winter project idea.

R. Crazy, yep, if we weren't all crazy we would go insane (Jimmy Buffett)

L, what the fack is on my shoulder? AHHHHHHH! I HATE SPIDERS!!!

Finally.

The lasers would be diffused using a beam expander to a point of being around 1 inch in diameter and would be less than or equal to 50mw, maybe 100mw if the 1 inch beam isnt visible enough at night, but 532nm is damn near the most visible wavelength, so 50mw should be ok, and at that 50mw is only dangerous if exposed to a direct un-diffused spot, for a few seconds or more, the beam itself is completely harmless to look at. I am a laser geek and have done extensive research on lasers and their various wavelengths effects at any given milliwatt or nanometer combination.

I would only actually be using them for show, the cager comment was simply meant as one more knock at horrible drivers everywhere. I understand that the whole reason lasers are illegal is due to idiotic misuse and pointing them at aircraft, and I do not want to further jeopardize my right to own a laser without a "L.O.I.D." card...

I had (it got stolen at a party) a 50mw that spec'd at 62mw, it had a safety key on the bottom and a button on the side so it was legal, technically. I had a lot of fun star spotting for friends and just pointing at distant barns and things with it, and while wearing laser safety glasses I would use it to light matches on fire after marking them with a black sharpie. I would like to get a really nice set of lasers of higher power as I already have the safety goggles and a bunch of 18650 li-ion batteries that I scavenged from a broken laptop... the idiot who stole it doesn't realize that without a special charger, eventually the laser will stop working, and whats worse, these are unregulated li-ion cells so if I am not mistaken if they try to charge them incorrectly they will explode, and if they become too discharged, I've heard they can also 'splode...

karma is a bitch eh?

Z. thanks for the advice as always brothers!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.