Author Topic: 10 years of storage  (Read 5363 times)

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
on: December 21, 2013, 05:04:51 am
Hey all
After 10 years of storage I'm trying to get my 500 Enfield back on the road. Do I need a battery to get her started? Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.
 Cheers

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 05:14:21 am
Most motorcycle batteries don't last 3 years when they are charged and maintained so I'm sure your battery will need replacing.

The fuel is undoubtedly dead so drain the fuel tank and refill it with fresh fuel.

Most likely the carb will also need taking apart and the jets and passages cleaned and blown out.

The oil that was protecting your piston rings has pretty much drained off so before you try to start it, pour a teaspoon of oil down thru the spark plug hole and then kick the engine over several times.

The oil might still be okay but why take a chance?  Drain and replace it with some new 4 stroke motorcycle type oil.  It would be a good idea to also check the oil level in the primary drive and in the transmission.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:18 am
Good tips thanks. Do I actually need a battery in to get it started? What chances do you think I have of getting her going after so long?

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:57:57 am
Good tips thanks. Do I actually need a battery in to get it started? What chances do you think I have of getting her going after so long?

Yeah you will need a battery, the electrics need a complete circuit to operate, the battery is the starting and ending point basically. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a charged battery! :P
I'd play it safe and buy a fresh battery, and with the above tips, and some patients you should get the ol' girl going!~
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:19:54 am
Terrific thanks

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 02:20:07 pm
...with the above tips, and some patients you should get the ol' girl going!~

If you have any trouble finding patients to help, check out your local Psychiatric facility and just ask if anyone wants to be a motorcycle.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 02:35:58 pm
If you have any trouble finding patients to help, check out your local Psychiatric facility and just ask if anyone wants to be a motorcycle.  ;)

LMAO   Niiiice   ;D

Marvel Mystery Oil works very well for putting into the cylinder to release the piston rings.  Also, make sure that the first 10 kicks or so aren't violent-starting type kicks.  You need to very easily work the kick starter for the first several revolutions.  If the rings are seized and you just kick the hell out of it off the bat you can break the piston rings and you would then need to tear the top end down and overhaul it.  As for the carb, you may want to go to an auto parts store and get a gallon bucket of carb dip to soak it in.  10 years is a long time for fuel to break down and literally turn into gum.  Soaking the carb in carb dip will get into all the hard to reach areas and passages with minimal work.  You will still want to tear down the carb as far as possible for best results.

Scottie

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 05:32:24 am
Speaking of carb cleaner dip's, some of them are very powerful.

Years ago when I was in college the technology department had a complete auto shop.
It was used to train Industrial Arts teachers.
 A friend decided to clean his carb in their carb cleaner tank and decided it was so dirty it would need to soak for a long time.  With that in mind, he left his carb in the tank overnight. 
The next morning we pulled the carb out and we were totally amazed!
It was so clean, you could see right thru it!  The bowl was gone.  Part of the body was gone.  In fact,  only the thick parts were left.

This wasn't an acid tank or acid dip.  The fluid seemed to be some sort of petroleum based stuff that really stunk.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:34:44 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 10:28:56 am
Speaking of carb cleaner dip's, some of them are very powerful.

... as are some of the chemicals that get used in place of commercial carb dips - like Pine-Sol:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7829.msg188228.html#msg188228

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:23:57 pm
Holy Crap Arizoni!   :o  I don't know what the hell you guys were using but I've soaked a few carbs overnight and have never had one disintegrate.  Damn.    ???

This is what I was referring to.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_carburetor-parts-cleaner--complete-kit-gunk_7040709-p?searchTerm=carb+cleaner

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 04:12:31 pm
Arizoni,The stuff your talking about was made by Gunk. I still use the product they make today, it really doesn't work like the original did.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 04:36:43 pm
Nothing works like the old stuff did!
As for starting the bike easily, you will need a charged battery. If you go through all the steps posted, it should start in a kick or two.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 11:02:45 am
 8)sensational stuff guys. I'm getting there.its a pretty clean machine so I'm optimistic. Anyone know if the1999 model was leaded or unleaded?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 02:09:40 pm
It will be unleaded.  They haven't used leaded gas since the late 60's early 70's.

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:13 am
Thanks