Author Topic: Fuel/Warning Lights  (Read 2102 times)

TomJohnston

• Scooter
on: December 20, 2013, 03:02:01 pm
I recently saw a picture of some model of Enfield with an Amp meter in place of the stupid Fuel-Engine Warning light assembly. Has anyone made an attempt at changing out this fiasco for a voltmeter, or anything else!? It seems if the two warning lights HAVE to be in the circuit, they could be mounted .....anywhere else as just indicator lights. A 2" voltmeter would sure look better and be an easy hook up.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:26:56 pm
The ampmeter were standard on all of the older engines, especially the iron barrel. You needed it to help you kick start the bike. I think you could get one if you wanted one.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:46:34 pm
You can get both ammeters and voltmeters that fit the socket, though they may be a bt harder to find in white face to match the C5 speedo if that's what you have.  Just check with anyone who sells parts and accessories for REs, including our host.  And you'll probably need to find another place to put your low fuel light and engine warning light.
Almost all cars used to have ammeters but as the charging systems got more reliable and the operators more detached they've passed into history. 

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:23:29 pm
The fuel light isn't required. A lot of them don't work anyway.
But you might want to use an erasable magic marker for a trip meter!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:53:14 pm
I keep forgetting that since mine still works.  If it goes bad (again) I'm probably going to get a Sharpie instead of fixing it ;)

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 12:53:21 am
I haven't seen a volt meter that would fit the hole but I'm sure they are available somewhere.

In the interest of returning the look back towards the past, here's a thought:
Replace the fuel/engine dial with a suitable volt meter that looks like the old ampmeter.  I'd say use the old RE ampmeter but adding the needed wiring branch from the battery to the ampmeter and from the ampmeter to the ignition switch might be beyond some peoples ability.  A volt meter could be attached to the headlight's gray "running light" lead like I did with my LED voltmeter.  Then, just a simple ground wire connected from the new volt meter to any part of the frame would get it operating when the lights are turned on.

OK, so now the meter is in place but what to do with the other lights?
IMO, the fuel level light is worthless.  Even if it worked on my bike (which it doesn't) I never liked it winking on and off when I still had a half tank of fuel so, it could either have its bulb removed or just let it dangle inside the casquette.

The engine light is important.  Not only does it turn off after a successful ECU boot but if the bike develops sensor problems it's multiple blinks will tell you what's failed.  Where to put it?

How about plugging it into the High Beam headlight socket that's located in the speedometer?  I'm sure the flashing blue light wouldn't confuse anyone unless they were addicted to WalMart and couldn't resist the flashing blue light specials.
I seldom use my high beam except for flashing oncoming cars at major intersections but even if I did use it often, it's easy to just flick the left hand high beam switch a time or two to know which light is being used.

Anyway, it was just a thought. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:03:33 am
The wiring for an ammeter shouldn't be too bad.  I think you need to break the line between the battery and the alternator.  Forutunately, that's right at the voltage regulator which is right at the front of the bike near where the gauge would go.  Still, a volt meter is easier to put in and basically gives you the same information if you know how to read it.

Scott

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 08:43:49 pm
ThankYou everybody for the excellent replies. When I  take delivery of my new bike I intend to make that my first poject !! On the BMW's the  "charging" light must work and be in-line for the engine to start....I thought that might be the case with these lights...Thanks again !!

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 10:02:19 pm
What would really please me on my RE is the addition of a trip meter on the speedometer. My two other old bikes have this and I know within a few miles when I will need to fill up with gas on those bikes. RE could add this, it would be a worthy improvement!
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:11 pm
What would really please me on my RE is the addition of a trip meter on the speedometer. My two other old bikes have this and I know within a few miles when I will need to fill up with gas on those bikes. RE could add this, it would be a worthy improvement!

+1
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:46:38 pm
On a trip I have the gps on the dash. Which has a tripmeter and a speedometer and an odometer; in fact it becomes the dash.

I would prefer less wires.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 02:01:04 am

We old timers don't need no stinking trip meters thingys...I keep in mind when I fill up, and when it gets to be a couple of hundred miles later, I start looking for gas....Gadgets belong on Hondas...Just sayin,