Author Topic: Cold start woes - CI 350  (Read 1832 times)

CI350 & CL500

• Neophyte
on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:42 am
hi all, this is my first post in this forum although have been a long visitor & reader of the posts... amazing info & kudos to all the technical wizs..

coming to the point - I own a CI 350 96 model. Have been her proud owner over the last 8 years and she has never let me down anytime, be it short city trips or long rides. Off-late however I am particularly facing the typical "cold start" trouble and I usually have to kick atleast 15-20 times (no choke) and about 8-10 times (with choke). However, once started & warm she just needs "one kick" to get started and no problems through out the day whatsoever, idles smoothly and no pinging / misfire / problems in any of the throttle ranges.

Coming to more specifics:
altitude is @ sealevel, min night temp around15-20 deg Cent, all stock carb & jets, electronic ignition (CB point replacement kit), ignition - slight advance, air setting - slight rich, plug chop - dark brown (near black) at the tip, ignition spark - blue & strong, battery charge - excellent, Compression - good, mileage - same as before 30-31 kmpl in city riding.

Can't think of what more details to add. i have done no changes on the carb / timing except for air & throttle idle setting post the last service. Everything else is pretty much the same as before with which I could always get her started in 1-2 kicks (after priming & without choke) in the coldest morning. 

So, considering my air setting is optimal, spark is blue & strong, timing is perfect and she starts & idles fine when warm - what am I missing here ? could it be the coil (when cold) ? any litmus test to check the coil ? any other pointers ?

appreciate any thoughts / pointers pls.

thanks
harshad

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:50:39 pm
I suspect that the mixture is too lean, if the bike is on the stock jetting.
Also, the carb slide might be showing wear after so many years, which may be letting excess air past the slide which is not metered.

The bike should start cold in 1-2 kicks, using the enrichener lever. Then after about 30 seconds of idling, you should hear it begin to labor at idle, and then disengage the enrichener lever and let it idle on its own.

The change to winter temperatures always makes the engine run leaner, and usually requires different jets for the winter, unless the temperature changes are very minimal.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

CI350 & CL500

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:35 am
thanks ace ! since you didn't mention the coil, I am assuming nothing wrong with it.

let me once again try quarter - half turn out and see if it makes a difference, although I did that already and then eventually settling to the current one (best idle).

you do have a point about the carb slide aging, will inspect that, but again the above would have affected my idle in normal condition too which it is not or maybe I am not sensing the variation.   Let me take a look at that anycase....

Can I request one more thing - would you recommend to replace & upgrade the carb + jets assuming they are 96 stock ? if yes, can you make some recommendation on any better ones  to go with ? I assume it would need exhaust replacement too ? since the current one is "not" a free flow one. Appreciate any suggestions !!

thnks again !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:46:32 pm
Have you checked compression lately? Could be getting a bit leaky.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com