Author Topic: Plug chops and performance flops  (Read 4944 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 06:17:59 pm
I was thinking more in terms of a centrifugal advance under the points cam that may not be operating as it should, I don't think his bike is old enough to have  manual/lever controlled timing adjust...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 07:56:57 pm
With miles that high and those symptoms, if the timing is good I would check for a carboned up exhaust. Runs fine slow, but no top end power. Two strokes would do it all the time in the good old days

I don't think I've ever seen a 4-stroke carboned up enough to effect running. Two strokes in the old days carboned up because of the crap oil available for mixing with the gas. Modern Synthetics don't do that
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:43 pm
If you have done all the simple stuff, point gap, advance unit check, etc, maybe you got a load of bad fuel. You did mention that the fuel in India is poor in the original post.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 07:18:50 am
So I finally got around to playing around with the timing. And lo and behold, good old Honey dearest is back at being her perky self.

Acceleration has improved tremendously and she now climbs the same flyovers at 70 kph in top gear that she would earlier struggle to do in third at 40-45 kph.

Given below is a rather poor photograph of the present point plate position. The two red lines used to align at the last setting. Notice how slightly back the plate has moved and the results are phenomenal! The green sharpie line will denote the current position.

Happy holidays, people! I would have loved to wish each and every one of you a merry Christmas, but these days that could be regarded as being politically incorrect and might offend some. Crap, it seems that everything is politically incorrect now, but I digress...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 01:09:07 pm
Glad you got your bike up and going again!  Isn't it nice when it's just something simple?  :)

As far as holidays go and being PC.......  Screw politically correct.  All those hyper-sensitive a-holes are ruining this planet and society anyways.  You can't do shit anymore without having to be concerned with hurting someone's feelings and being arrested for being honest.  Remember the good ol' days when you could just tell someone how it is without being persecuted?  Or you could smack the shit out of your kid for being rude and disrespectful.  Kids haven't been properly disciplined in 15 years or more, and now most of them are disrespectful, inconsiderate, unrealistic a-holes that go and shoot up their school because someone made fun of the ketchup stain on their shirt.  For the record, I smacked my kids at a young age, and I'd still smack my kids today if they needed it, but I haven't had to in many years because all 3 of my kids KNOW that there will be consequences for their bad behavior.  And you know what else, ALL 3 of my kids get all A' & B's on their report cards, and they get punished for unacceptable behavior at school.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread.  Just so sick of everyone being PC when in reality everyone needs a serious dose of REAL LIFE.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:59 pm
I blame Dr. Spock.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 04:51:39 pm
Yep, a quick five minutes later, Honey was back doing what she does best!

You've got that nailed about the PC bit, Scottie J!

I was smacked as a child. Corrected certainly, never abused. I turned out all right, I guess. And the day I have kids, it will be the same. My folks raised me right. Values were sometimes knocked in, just like on a Bullet where sometimes a gentle tap is no good but a quick whack is in order. Everywhere, I see parents cajoling a kid throwing a mega tantrum that would put some divas to shame.

No bloody wonder youngsters these days can't deal with even miniscule levels of stress. That and old cantankerous motorcycles. They don't have the patience anymore. It's the age of instant self gratification. Sigh.

So, taking much courage from Scottie J's words, here's wishing each and every one of you a very merry Christmas! Ride safe, lads and ladies!