Author Topic: main fuse blown  (Read 935 times)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
on: December 24, 2013, 12:15:36 am
hello gearheads and the rest.
 not a big deal. I've had this 99 since June and its the first time this has happend. just wondering if there is any thing to look for that might have caused it.
 when i first got it i replaced the tail light with that real nice one they have at hitchcock and nfield. looks like the one that was on my 68 daytona i had years ago. i put "bullet" turn signals with 3" stems front and back( i did put the original lower watt bulbs in them) the back ones through the the fender bracket down low.
 i changed the head light to 7" from nfield with h4 bulb. i got the lowest watt they had at the parts store. and i put led ba9's in the pilot lights . makes a big difference. they are much brighter but lower watt. i told myself i wasn't going to spend allot dressing it up right away but i couldn't stand those fugly turn signals and tail light. then the first time i rode it in the dark i knew that 5" 30watt headlight had to go too. the led's were cheap and easy.
 thanks.

Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:57:07 am
I would guess you have a short somewhere. Check at the most obvious places first. Those would be the areas where any abrasion could occur. Under the tank, in the nacelle, rear wheel area. Get some extra fuses for troubleshooting.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:17:26 am
I agree, my last short was a wire rubbing on the nacelle. Check places where wires rub metal. Take your time, you will find it.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:30:31 pm
excellent common sense advise. if the new lights and fixtures haven't caused any problem for six months then that's probable not the issue.
 now that i think about it, i don't usually ride in wet weather. when the fuse blew it had rained that day and i went through a couple of puddles. i will look at the connections at the rear fender first.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.