Author Topic: Preview Button  (Read 7623 times)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
on: August 03, 2007, 10:57:32 am
Rhett,

Another question:  Does clicking the Preview button supposed to show what the posted message will look like?  On my computer it still shows the html stuff and not the enhancements.

Thanks for your patience,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:32:05 pm
I think maybe, that your computer is special. :)  The preview works great for me.  (just used it to preview this)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:01:01 pm
I think maybe, that your computer is special. :)  The preview works great for me.  (just used it to preview this)

Doesn't sound real special if it doesn't do what it is supposed to do.  Maybe I'm missing a plug-in or something, any ideas on that?
--Leonard

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 02:15:22 pm
What browser are you using, and on what platform? That may have a lot to do with it.
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:17:01 pm
This computer is totally standard - no plugins, 'cept basic Java, and it functions as I would expect it to. I run Windows 2000 pro and firefox
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:19:05 pm by IndianaBulleteer »
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:19:55 pm
There ya go, right there! If you had a Linux box, or a Mac, and were running a decent browser, like Firefox, then everything would work!  ;D

Seriously, though: Download Firefox and try it; see if you get the same results.

And, I suppose that a good question now would be: What is it that preview is doing / not doing that you think it should be not doing, or doing, that makes you think it's broken. You never specifically said...
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 05:28:54 pm
Rhett,

Another question:  Does clicking the Preview button supposed to show what the posted message will look like?  On my computer it still shows the html stuff and not the enhancements.

Thanks for your patience,
Leonard

Hi Leonard,

The preview button doesn't show the post preview in the editing box itself, but displays a preview of the "rendered" message above the editor area. It should look something like this:

I don't know if this is a browser issue but the webmaster in me has to echo the other users that are encouraging you to use Firefox.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 07:29:58 pm
Thanks for explaining it Rhett.  I really feel like a dumb ass, I had never noticed the area at the top cause I would have had to scroll up.  Thanks for sticking with me....Leonard

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 07:51:27 pm
 ;) No problem, Leonard; you're not the first person to question that part of the interface.

That's exactly what this area of the forum is all about. Its important for users to point things out like that to help us identify areas that can be refined and made more clear as we look at improving the forum.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:03:51 pm
All "BB" software is "quirky" in the interface. You're not alone in trying to figure it out. A lot of us aren't asking the same questions because we already asked them on some other board....

I'm not sure what underlying software is being used here, but it offers a lot more power than some others I've seen. I keep finding "kewl" features as we go along.

Rhett: Good call. I hadn't thought of the simple answer; just looking higher in the window. Even when we work with computers every day, we still try to find a complicated answer before thinking of the easy ones.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:47:51 pm
I understand previewing a bike before you (might) buy it, previewing a woman before insertion, but previewing a website before you view it.  WHAT??
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 06:03:59 pm
We first noticed this software on Alternative cruisers. The webmaster Bill Ramby over there gave us a hand getting it started and then Rhett has carried the ball. We have been in shock and awe of how maintenance free it has been.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com