Author Topic: Looking at a 2012 C5.  (Read 1983 times)

davidulch

• Neophyte
on: December 13, 2013, 10:19:28 am
I'm test riding a 2012 RE C5 and Bonneville this Saturday and possibly buying one in the very near future. I love the RE's classic look and especially the kickstart. I have a few concerns regarding my size to the bike and having a passenger. I'm 6ft 210lbs and I'm a little worried that I may be too big for the bike. Also, my wife will want to go on short rides and was wondering how is the riding experience for passengers? Thanks for any advice you could offer.  I'm trying to decide between the 2012 RE C5 or a used Bonneville. Any advice will help. Thanks.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:22:18 pm
From what I've read/seen on the forum I don't think you're even close to being the biggest guy on a RE, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually complain about their bike not being comfy aside from real long hauls.  I'm 6'1" 185# and my bike is pretty damn comfy.  Granted I own a vintage twin and have a bit more power than you guys with the Bullets, but the frame, suspension and wheels are virtually identical.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:51:56 pm
Scottie is right,this subject has come up time and again. The wierd thing is, everyone seems to fit on the Bullet. Let the feel be your guide. 8) 8) 8)
Roverman.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:54:39 pm
Look at the total weight the bike will handle it should be in the specs for the bike. That will tell you if it can handle you and your wife combined.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:31 pm
Well, mine is an 03 with all the specs that come with that. Stock 06 bench seat with aftermarket backrest. Carried me and my long term camping gear just fine on a 4 day ride. Carries me and my wife just fine as well. FYI, 6'2" 275.

I wouldn't worry about it for the stuff it sounds like you are wanting to do. It will be just fine.

Like some of my adv friends say..."It takes 20 HP to see the world, the rest is just wheel spin"

Keep in mind the amount of work these bikes do in their home country. Loaded for bear. If it gets too bouncy on stock shocks, there are aftermarket improvements for that as well.

Buy it, ride it, don't look back.

(modified for additional thoughts)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:44:35 pm by noisymilk »
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

yoda_jackson

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:23 pm
I think everyone else covered it pretty well.  For what it's worth, I'm 6'0" pushing 200 pounds and my '05 Bullet is perfect.   I've only put my six year old sons on the back (separately  :P although I have the urge to try the how many people fit on a Bullet trick)  but I can't imagine the ride would be hard with the wife.  TRY IT! and don't look back.  My RE is my favorite toy.

Joshua

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:43:45 am
I'm 6ft 210lbs and I'm a little worried that I may be too big for the bike. Also, my wife will want to go on short rides and was wondering how is the riding experience for passengers?

The wierd thing is, everyone seems to fit on the Bullet. Let the feel be your guide. 8) 8) 8)

Look at the total weight the bike will handle

although I have the urge to try the how many people fit on a Bullet trick). My RE is my favorite toy.

I know none of us are going to try the following anytime soon, but just for reference, from India's Republic Day Parades -

UCE

Iron-barrel

Also, davidulch, the correct forum section for your model of RE is "Bullet with the UCE Engine" as the C5s have the newer UCE powerhouse, instead of previous Iron-barrel engines.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 12:25:38 pm
^^ Yupp. That's what the Enfield is all about here in India. No fuss load hauler.

I'm 6'1" 210lbs and even the "little" 350 cast iron has no problems hauling me around. 

I wish I could compile a list of how badly RE's are used here in India and still the bike doesn't give a single F  :P
2002 RE Electra CDI
India