Author Topic: Cause for concern?  (Read 4506 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
on: December 13, 2013, 03:31:44 am
I noticed this today on my bike near the starter, a tiny crack on the seam of the inner primary case.

Cause for concern?  I placed a mark on it to monitor if it grows.  The fix would obviously mean pulling it and getting a new one, or having this one repaired (I'm guessing its aluminum).  It doesn't seem to cause any problems at this time, so I'm simply keeping it in mind...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:37:28 am
I doubt it will stop cracking.You mite want to try to find the extent of it and drill a small hole at the very end of the crack and put a rubber plug in it to stop the progression of the crack.Sooner rather than later you will need to weld it up.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:40:00 am
A wolf caught in a trap will bite off it's foot to save itself. Your Bullet seems to have the mind of a wolf and a thirst to live. By expunging the unholy hump your Bullet trusts solely the kicker to bring it to life.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:57:30 am
is there actually a crack forming there? or is it just a flaw from poor casting pattern fit? as much as I could tell from the pic's it did not look like a stress related crack....

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:18:19 pm
I would pull that cover off and have it welded up ASAP.  The sooner the better.  From the looks of it that crack will only continue to get bigger every time you ride.  The bigger it gets the harder and more expensive it will be to repair.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:46:27 pm
I doubt it will stop cracking.You mite want to try to find the extent of it and drill a small hole at the very end of the crack and put a rubber plug in it to stop the progression of the crack.Sooner rather than later you will need to weld it up.
I agree with single. A stop hole with a small, let's say a 1/32 bit, then monitor
it till next time you have it off. Then you can have it welded.
          - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:28:55 pm
Thanks for all the replies from the Grand Gearhead Group! 

As far as I can tell this was just a weak spot during manufactoring that vibration and heat cycles are slowly exploiting.  Going back and looking at the pictures that the PO (and original owner) gave me, that notch right on lip was present when the bike was brand new.  My concern is the ever so visible hairline crack that extends from it.  It doesn't look like it goes all the way through, but I'll update you guys as I take action.

Anyone else with an Iron Barrel 4Speed with the grenade starter have the same kind of seam at the top of the inner primary cover near the starter?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 05:26:35 pm
Drilling a hole stops cracks on supersonic jets.  Fill it in with epoxy of choice or silicone goo of choice.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:38:35 pm
Drilling a hole stops cracks on supersonic jets.  Fill it in with epoxy of choice or silicone goo of choice.

Would by my first course of action, too.  Drill and a tiny smear of JB weld.

If the crack continues to expand somehow after that, then you can take it to a welder.  Even if it holds, you can get it truly welded up next time you have the cover off at a convenient time, if the first fix just bothers you for some reason.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:35 pm
Would by my first course of action, too.  Drill and a tiny smear of JB weld.

If the crack continues to expand somehow after that, then you can take it to a welder.  Even if it holds, you can get it truly welded up next time you have the cover off at a convenient time, if the first fix just bothers you for some reason.

This is exactly what I plan to do. I'll drill and fill, then get it done properly next time I have cause to pull the cover.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:25:56 am
Sign me on for drill and fill also. But you really have to see about having that removed. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 01:25:31 am
If you don't plan on removing the cover to do the drill fix, make sure you coat the drill bit with a good amount of grease and go kind of slow but fast enough to cut.  This will keep any metal shavings from falling inside of your cover and damaging components.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 07:28:14 pm
Scottie J,I knew I was forgetting something.

sven trials

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:24:36 pm
I would vote for the welding sooner that later.  Putting anything to contaminate the metal such as JB weld or other gooey thing really irritates a welder.   I know from experience, my wife is a master TIG welder and she hate it when muck things up..

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:09 am
Sven,that is why I suggested the plug,but I forgot to mention that,too.