Author Topic: Cause for concern?  (Read 4503 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 03:30:00 am
When you get around to taking off that inner cover for repair, you might as well order the ES to KS kit. Do it right and never look back.

My two cents   ;)

Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:01 pm
I would drill it with at least 3/32" drill. A smaller one could still keep the stress point working and continue cracking. I wouldn't fill it with anything. If you want to weld it the filler would require cleaning out causing more work (labor) for the welder.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:09:04 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:14 pm
My primary cover broke in 2 spots back in early summer.  I hooked up with a friend of a friend who was an excellent welder and did an excellent job.  I've been welding steel for many years and learned a whole lot about welding aluminum that I never knew before that day.  So I must re-confirm what everyone is saying about NOT using any kind of sealant on your primary if you plan on welding it.  They are absolutely right.  Aluminum is actually quite porous and has a tendency to "draw in" any and all contaminants that are present when you start welding and get the metal hot.  When I had my cover repaired I didn't have any kind of sealant on it, just years of oil/grease.  I am not kidding at all when I say he spent every part of 2 hours just CLEANING the cover before he even thought about turning on his TIG welder.

Just food for thought.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16686.0.html

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King