Author Topic: new (er) C5 insurance  (Read 6772 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 05:03:58 pm
My 2010 G5 Deluxe is Fully Covered (collision, comprehensive, roadside assistance etc.) by MARKEL AMERICAN INSURANCE CO. for $168. a year.
They specialize in Bike Insurance. I think that's a pretty good price for the total coverage.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:17 pm
What is all this monthly stuff? I never heard of monthly payments being the standard for insurance until just recently. Now everyone seem to be using it.. I still pay for my motorcycle insurance annually, my car insurance is only good for 6 months at a crack. My last Progressive policy on the Enfield as $150/yr for full coverage, except no uninsured motorist. I didn't like the way they handled it so I refuse to go back to them for many reasons. But I did get a quote from them for $350/yr for the Guzzi. The cheapest quote I got was from Esurance for $250, but I ended getting it from Farmer's, because they handle my car and house insurance for $180/yr. But I tried AAA and they wanted $530/yr,and they had my GB500 already at $115/yr just for liability which was way too much, for what had previously been $69/yr from Progressive. I had planned on letting that one drop when the policy ran out, but I sold the bike so it became irrelevant. I checked Geico and they were up in the $400 range, too. I could see the Goose being a bit more costly because it was a lot more expensive than the Enfield. As for someone telling the that the parts are hard to get and expensive for the Enfiel, that would be a short conversation as the guy obviously hasn't a clue about which he speaks!
So the best thing to do is get out the yellow pages and call them all to see who can give you the best deal!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 01:22:33 am
I searched and searched but if I don't mind having different insurances for each vehicle I might as well stick with what I got for now. what has been happening is everytime I find a cheap insurance for one vehicle I get a quote for the others with the same insurance and it skyrockets. for example Merkel gave me a hell of a deal on the C5 but as soon as I add the Ducati it jumps dramatically. Its the same story with farmers, I get a good deal on the Ducati but a crappy deal on the c5 and car. Ill pay a little extra to keep it consolidated

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 04:23:48 pm
I have several bikes insured with Dairyland. I had a 1995 Goldwing insured with them for just under $100 a year (minimum liability only) I just added the RE, and don't know what it will be. I did ask for comprehensive and collision because I financed the bike. If it comes out to be some ridiculous amount, I will just pay the loan off and drop the comp and collision. I am 55, perfect record, with 40 years riding experience.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 04:58:31 pm
Hey Suitcase, I have similar safe riding credentials, but carried full coverage with agreed upon value, on my 2001 Kawasaki W650. I'm glad I did, as I crashed & totaled it, due to a catastrophic equipment failure. No one was more surprised then me. My advice is to keep shopping around until you find a policy with full coverage you can afford - STUFF HAPPENS. In my case I was well compensated. You might look into MARKEL INSURANCE I'm content with mine. Road service will be nice if I ever break down.
  One bit of insurance I'd do with out if possible is "personal injury" IF you already have medical insurance. It snarled up & confused getting my medical bills paid between primary & secondary provider - Not worth the hassle.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 06:14:56 pm
Craig, I always carry full coverage on my bikes too.  It's so easy to total a bike.  My Monster got totalled from a tip over at less than 1mph.

Another tip is to head down to your local shop and ask what insurance they like to deal with.  Some of the companies just pay up no sweat.  Others scrutinize the work order and hassle the shop over every single line item.  When it's time to file a claim you don't want that aggrivation.  Get a company that's easy to deal with.

Scott

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 01:37:41 am
As a new rider with ZERO experience and adding my wife who has been riding for about 3 years I paid $296 for the year.  That was through Progressive but was through USAA and a $500 deductable.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military