Author Topic: new (er) C5 insurance  (Read 6711 times)

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:20 pm
PIP doubles my rates but I don't want to be without it.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 09:35:27 pm
I think some states renamed 'Uninsured' to 'Underinsured' because not being insured is illegal and they can't charge you for coverage of someone else's illegal behavior.  Net result is the same because having no insurance is certainly 'Underinsured' ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 09:48:28 pm
Admittedly it was a long time ago but, I was involved in an accident where a guy with no insurance at all pulled out of a side street in front of my car.

A police officer was just behind me and saw the entire thing so he wrote up the guy.
Anyway, the accident crumpled up the right front fender on my car and I figured that the "uninsured motorist insurance" would cover the damage.

The next day I called my State Farm agent, told him what happened and asked him if the uninsured motorist insurance would cover it.

He asked, "Was anyone besides you in the car?" , "Yes, my wife".
"Was she hurt in any way?",  "No.  Just a bruise where her legs hit the dash."

"Sorry.  Your uninsured motorists insurance won't cover the accident."

"WHAT?  Just what the hell does it cover if not the damage from a uninsured motorist?"

"Uninsured motorist insurance is a health insurance that covers the medical expenses of anyone other than the driver who is involved in an accident with a uninsured motorist."

With this bit of wisdom in my memory, when I applied for the insurance on my RE and they asked if I wanted their damn uninsured motorist insurance I said, "No."
I don't give rides to passingers on my RE.  In fact, I removed 4 pounds from the bike by removing the passenger pegs so, I don't need medical insurance for someone who will never be on the bike.

You folks might notice the Uninsured Motorist insurance does not cover the driver.  He's pretty much "up the creek" and must rely on his own medical insurance for any injuries that happen due to a jerk without insurance.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:05 pm
Count your blessings.
Insurance here for the bullet: 550 euros ($758) a year.
Can have 60% discount if one also has a car insured.
I don't have a car.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:10 pm
Count your blessings.
Insurance here for the bullet: 550 euros ($758) a year.
Can have 60% discount if one also has a car insured.
I don't have a car.

:o  Ill remember that...lol

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 05:06:54 pm
I had a strange experience when I tried to get insurance for my new 2012 C5 last August.  All my other bikes are insured by Progressive, so naturally I wanted to add the C5 to the same policy.

First strange thing was that Progressive had no idea what type of vehicle it was based upon the VIN number I gave them.  They told me that all other RE's had a different set of alpha-numerics.  Of course I checked the MSO and the bike frame to verify what I told them. 

Once they finally accepted what I was telling them, they told me that they would only offer the minimum liability for this bike.  No comp.  No collision.  But the rep. I was speaking to couldn't tell me exactly why.  When we brought a supervisor on the line, still no logical answer.  So I basically told them to stuff it.

Since I was anxious to get the bike on the road, I did some Googling, then compared the other insurance companies, and went with Geico that day.  Strangely enough, there was no questioning the VIN number and they offered me the full coverage that I wanted.

Cheers,

Dan K.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:06:38 am
kinda had the same experience...state farm had issues with my vin...they didn't know what a Royal Enfield was. No other issues other than that.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 01:16:58 am
VIN issues is probably why you got such a funky quote - if their computer can't process the number, you're screwed.

I seem to recall having a similar issue at first - based on the VIN they couldn't find anything.  But they dug deeper into the name and found something that worked for them - and for me!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 04:31:44 am
Been with Liberty Mutual for years, but they couldn't find Royal Enfield in their bikes list, nor could they match anything using the VIN. So I got liability only through Dairyland. $60/year.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 04:34:00 pm
I had a strange experience when I tried to get insurance for my new 2012 C5 last August.  All my other bikes are insured by Progressive, so naturally I wanted to add the C5
Cheers,Dan K.
NONE OF MY BUSSINESS BUT; I would not give Progressive insurance a penny of my money. Its owner is associated with George Soros, & shares his political goals, which are not traditional American Values. In fact Progressive is pushing for Electronic Snitches on every vehicle. Don't help these people have their way with you.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 05:48:33 pm
; I would not give Progressive insurance a penny of my money. Its owner is associated with George Soros, & shares his political goals, which are not traditional American Values. In fact Progressive is pushing for Electronic Snitches on every vehicle. Don't help these people have their way with you.

+1
If you get into a situation that the insurance company is writing you a check, make them write it to you and give it to you. Do not let them give it the person who is repairing your bike. I got screwed by a dealer one time who had my bike, but some of the estimate work I didn't want done. The dealer refused to give me the money back for the not doesn't work. He gave some some stupid song an dance about it being illegal which is a crock of crap. You get the check and write a dealer a small deposit to get the repairs started. When he gets down have him write a bill for the work that had actually got done and keep the change. The dealer did give me a credit for the remainder, but that meant I had to spend it on his overinflated stock! I've never let a dealer or repairman have a check since then!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bugtussle

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:59 pm
Ive been using Progressive for years. Apparently their politics lean in my direction. I just did get a quote for adding my new Continental GT when it arrives. Im currently insuring a Vespa GT200, SYM HD200 and SYM Symba. The New GT will add $59 to my annual policy. I don't have collision on any of them. I figure it keeps me riding safe and if I crash it I fix it. Quote summery: 

Premium Prior to Change:   $146.00 (all 3 current scoots annually)
Premium After Change:   $205.00    (annually)
Difference:   $59.00 increase   (annually)

This is $250 deductible on comprehensive with roadside assistance and $3000 accessory coverage.

I can't report on their service, Ive never had to use it.

I see that vary with age and location.

Im 62 and in Oregon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:08:24 pm by bugtussle »

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 03:34:23 am
progressive was just way to expensive for me. I paid 120 per month for just my car. I ditch them got the same coverage at state farm and added my ducati and my bill shrank by 20 dollars a month over progressive. That's also adding pip to the Ducati!

anybody ever use PIP? just wondering if there were any issues with your health insurance.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 06:28:49 pm
Bare,
We've got lots of uninsured motorists in the DC area too.
I payed Progressive $120 per year for the 2007 Bullet, now I'm paying $140 per year for the 2014 Yamaha Bolt.  57 YO male in Maryland.  The policy states it doesn't matter where I garage the bike as long as home base is in MD.
I know some people hate Progressive because they tend to "Total" before they even see the bike, but they treated me very well when the Bullet was murdered.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

MegaMoo

• Scooter
  • Thumping in Paradise
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:29 am
In Bahamas we pay around $100 per year for 3rd party. We don't even have an option for full coverage for a motorbike