Author Topic: Had a slight weep from the primary chain case cover so......  (Read 3093 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
decided to just clean the 'O' ring slot and move the 'O' ring around a bit.
While I was at it I decided to fit some heavy duty clutch springs as:- a) the clutch was not always taking up as well as I liked and b) I had the heavy duty springs from a v. cheap eBay deal already.
Quite a lot different in thickness. Clutch still vey light in action IMHO but pulls in well!!!

Red ones are the new springs

So far so good and casing not leaking but yet to get it really hot so, fingers crossed.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

deejay

Did you replace all the springs or just 3?

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Did you replace all the springs or just 3?
deejay...    I've heard that to replace 3 is an improvement; but to change all 6 is a challenge for the clutch cable.
* you can get the  same effect by putting spacers under the springs   - Mike
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:53:54 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Changed all six and clutch is still light but I have lubed my cable well etc. The coils are 'almost' coil bound when pulled in but work fine. Nice positive action. Wish I could say the same for my oil weep. OK, will have to dig deep ( ::)) and buy another 'O' ring gasket I guess!!!
It's at times like this when I wish there was a proper drain hole rather than just removing the cover!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:27:54 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
When i had my primary apart last month I replaced the o-ring just to be safe. I agree that a drail plus would be nice. Of course it would also just be another opening that could leak.

I have the heavy duty springs too and they didn't seem to make the clucth noticably harder to disengage.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
You may want to try wheel bearing grease on the "O" ring for an extra sealer.

My primary has never weeped - been removed several times - and on the original "O" ring.

I use the old time real thick wheel bearing grease sold about 30 years ago.

Be careful and not tighten the primary case bolt too tight.  If too tight, the case can warp and it can leak from this.

Use the torque figure in the maintenance manual.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter