Author Topic: AMAL MK1 CONVERTION FOR ME ?  (Read 4976 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 06:59:08 am
They are round slides.
Nothing wrong with round slides,  except that they are not as advanced design as flat slides. So for performance,  the flat slide is better, but a little more expensive. Not really a huge difference, but the flat slides are a bit better for torque and throttle response.
Try ebay search for Mikuni TM32.

But if you're just looking for an easy kit that's all in one box,  then the NFIELD Gear carb kit is a handy "one - stop shop" way to get a round slide kit.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:03:48 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:58 pm
OK, glad i asked.    i did google the amal and decided it has allot more adjusting than i want right now. besides, i have a nice assortment of jets, and a slide for the mik carb. i think i read they were interchangeable with mikuni. and i have been doing all this reading up on the mikuni/mikcarb.
 now i am still a newbie and have to admit i don't know exactly what a flat side is. the only one i see on nfield gear that says flat side is that no name Taiwanese,"kehin type". they say is good, and i don't doubt that is is but i want the mikuni. the kit i see just says "mikuni carb kit" comes in 30,32,34mm any one for $285. so what is the difference in a flat side and these?
 thanks for all the help.

A Flatslide will have "TM" in the name, like "TM-32".  A Roundslide will be a "VM" like a "VM-30".
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

SirStanley

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 06:51:04 pm
I recently swapped a perfectly tuned mikuni vm30 for an amal 930 -  for no other reason than it seems more “correct” to me.
Had I never experienced how well the bike can run (thanks to the mikuni), I’d be even more shocked by the improvement of these new variations of the old MKI over their vintage "original" siblings. Sadly, they still seem to be made of melted down paperclips... so, so soft.

After a bit of tinkering, the bike starts easily, idles reasonably well and rolls through the throttle range without issues. But it does none of these things as well as it did with the mikuni. Still, I plan on keeping the Amal. It’s just looks right, and to me, my enfield is a toy, not a serious or relied upon mode of transport. And its surely never called upon to anything other than putt about on back roads.

Like everything else in life, contentment it’s a matter of what you’re looking to achieve.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 07:09:11 pm
as long as I'm getting all this help can anyone tell me will the jets i bought for the stock mikcarb fit any mikuni? or at least the vm32.  like i said before i read somewhere they were interchangeable. i also have a new slide for the stock one, I'm guessing that would only fit a vm28.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:58:40 pm
as long as I'm getting all this help can anyone tell me will the jets i bought for the stock mikcarb fit any mikuni? or at least the vm32.  like i said before i read somewhere they were interchangeable. i also have a new slide for the stock one, I'm guessing that would only fit a vm28.

Yes the Mikarb main and pilot jets will fit certain other Mikuni carbs. The pilot jet will definitely fit a VM32, but I'm not sure about the main jet fitting the VM32. It will fit some other Mikuni carbs, though. The slide will fit the Mikuni 28mm round slide carb.
The Mikarb needle jet will never fit any other carburetor of any other make or model, and is only compatible with the Mikarb and no other carburetor.
Home of the Fireball 535 !