Author Topic: AMAL MK1 CONVERTION FOR ME ?  (Read 4971 times)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
on: December 08, 2013, 04:27:41 am
hello gear heads.
 my 99 has the stock mik carb. i have been doing some jetting and tinkering with it now the enrichment lever system is giving me trouble. i see some people say they are troublesome after awhile and ditch them for genuine mikuni or amal. there is a kit for amal mk1 with all the fixings including choke setup and filter for allot less than the mikuni. any thoughts or comments from the peanut gallery would be welcome. 
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:00:26 pm
The peanut gallery says buy a Mikuni.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 02:38:23 pm
I have a brand spanking new Amal Concentric 930 and I'm not at all impressed with it.  They get the job done but you'll be so much better off with a Mikuni.  My Amal will be getting replaced before next riding season.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:12:30 pm
thanks guys.
 now. I'm not trying to build a race bike and don't want to do allot of mods so i think i will go with the 30mm. or i should ask how big can i get away with and not cause the need for more mods?
 Have a nice day.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:16:37 pm
thanks guys.
 now. I'm not trying to build a race bike and don't want to do allot of mods so i think i will go with the 30mm. or i should ask how big can i get away with and not cause the need for more mods?

32mm.
Preferably Mikuni TM32 flat slide.
Any larger sacrifices low rpm torque,  and any smaller restricts higher rpm flow unnecessarily.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:46 pm
Mikuni TM-32
"Ace" air canister.
Free flowing exhaust.
Check back here for jet advice.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:57 pm
thanks again ace.
 32mm it is.  i don't know what exact model # it is but i think i will go with the mikuni deal nfield gear has w/air filter, cable and intake.
 Have a nice day.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:25:52 pm
google the two carbs,  give some thought to what you want from your enfield.  I use mine for thumping around town,  with the occasional hour ride for breakfast,  The mikuni is a better carb  than the amal.  However I prefer the amal on my enfield.  It works fine on an old time thumper.  the mikuni will give more precise metering, and takes more tuning to sort out,  the amal is forgiving ( will run in a wide range) and works fine on a tractor motor like the enfield.  That is the flip side.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:56:37 am
+1 on that Merrill. If you are going to keep the stock "Oil Lamp" power level (as I have) the Amal is adequate and period correct. Plus, you get the obligatory gas on your index finger. I'm swapping out my 30 flat for one .
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:22 am
Mikuni doesn't make a 30mm flatslide.  Those are Taiwan or Mainland China Keihin "D" slide clones.  You'll be happier with the genuine Mikuni when you need floats or gaskets.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:37 am
Mikuni doesn't make a 30mm flatslide.  Those are Taiwan or Mainland China Keihin "D" slide clones.  You'll be happier with the genuine Mikuni when you need floats or gaskets.
I didn't say it was a Mikuni, just a clone, and parts are available on the net. 
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 08:04:23 pm
I didn't say it was a Mikuni, just a clone, and parts are available on the net.
Not trying to correct you at all!  :)
I was replying to Guss Guss stating he'd "get a 30mm" so that he'd know a 30 won't be a real Mikuni Flatside.  Not that there is anything wrong with a decent 30mm clone either.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:30 pm
A 30mm carb would work for a stock bike just fine.
But it won't be any better than a 32 in any respect, and the 32 will do better in the upper rpms, and will take you into good power modification territory without needing to buy another carb.

So, if you only want to buy one carb and be done, get the TM32 and the appropriate manifold and jets.

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:46 am
I "had" a stock '99. Per Ace's advice, went with the Mikuni 32mm flat slide. At the same time I fitted an old shorty unrestricted exhaust. Too loud so I put one of those bolt-in silencers on. Absolutely perfect now. It's hard to describe the the difference in performance...it's that noticably improved. For the little money invested, you won't be dissapointed. AND I'm not a roadracer, mostly back roads in the country, but do certainly appreciate the increased HP, top end and responsiveness.
Oh, and when you take off that POS stock silencer, you'll see how heavy it is and can only imagine how restrictive it was...it's killing the bike!

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:26:08 am
OK, glad i asked.    i did google the amal and decided it has allot more adjusting than i want right now. besides, i have a nice assortment of jets, and a slide for the mik carb. i think i read they were interchangeable with mikuni. and i have been doing all this reading up on the mikuni/mikcarb.
 now i am still a newbie and have to admit i don't know exactly what a flat side is. the only one i see on nfield gear that says flat side is that no name Taiwanese,"kehin type". they say is good, and i don't doubt that is is but i want the mikuni. the kit i see just says "mikuni carb kit" comes in 30,32,34mm any one for $285. so what is the difference in a flat side and these?
 thanks for all the help.
 Have a nice day.