Author Topic: Big end gone bad !  (Read 32098 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #90 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:29 pm
Dude!  Funniest auto correct I've had in a while. :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #91 on: December 30, 2013, 02:54:53 pm
I don't agree with the reason in the opening of this video but it shoes two things: you can put more water in a running engine than you think and what comes out of the tailpipe when you do.

http://youtu.be/jWqN8pBHJhE

I would be a little more delicate adding water so as not to bend a con rod, but you get the idea.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #92 on: December 30, 2013, 04:10:58 pm
I don't agree with the reason in the opening of this video but it shoes two things: you can put more water in a running engine than you think and what comes out of the tailpipe when you do.

http://youtu.be/jWqN8pBHJhE

I would be a little more delicate adding water so as not to bend a con rod, but you get the idea.

Scott

Yes, steam expands to about 1700 times the volume of water it came from, so be careful with the amounts.
I only squirt in a little from a spray bottle into the carb at idle.
I don't really know what works better, water or ATF. I never really did any kind of back to back comparison.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #93 on: December 30, 2013, 04:17:27 pm
I don't need anything to clean up when I spill water in the garage :)  And yeah, I'm going to use a pesticide sprayer I last used to remove my popcorn ceilings.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: December 30, 2013, 08:15:17 pm
+1 on using ATF.  That's how I decarbonized all my old small blocks.  Neighbors didn't to much care for it tho.   ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #95 on: December 31, 2013, 05:20:39 am
G'day lads, I'm just in the process of cleaning and de-carbing bits of engine while I wait for my magneto puller and valve spring compressor to arrive...120 bucks ouch ... And in my ignorance I'm wondering can I/ should I re- use the piston rings ? They seem to be in good nick.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #96 on: December 31, 2013, 06:04:53 am
Incidentally  ,by the time I scraped all that carbon off my piston it came to be about two teaspoons worth - heaped. Like I used to put in my coffee . The piston dish was solid build up. Seems like a lot - that injection of water is lookin like the future....every 5000 k or so I'd reckon
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #97 on: December 31, 2013, 10:47:30 am
I would change the rings and hone the barrel.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #98 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:43 pm

http://youtu.be/jWqN8pBHJhE ........

Looks like he is cleaning the inside of the exhaust manifold.  before and after pictures with a bore-scope are needed to convince me.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:08 pm
Dave - You most definitely will want to replace the piston rings and hone the cylinder regardless of their appearance.  Besides they are really cheap, don't be skimping on on cheap parts.  Didn't you just buy a new crank?  ???

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #100 on: December 31, 2013, 01:04:35 pm
Get a 3 piece oil ring. One piece oil rings are for lawn mowers.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: December 31, 2013, 04:12:06 pm
G'day lads, I'm just in the process of cleaning and de-
Incidentally  ,by the time I scraped all that carbon off my piston it came to be about two teaspoons worth - heaped. Like I used to put in my coffee . The piston dish was solid build up. Seems like a lot - that injection of water is lookin like the future....every 5000 k or so I'd reckon
carbing bits of engine while I wait for my magneto puller and valve spring compressor to arrive...120 bucks ouch ... And in my ignorance I'm wondering can I/ should I re- use the piston rings ? They seem to be in good nick.

Do you think you need new rings Dave !?..... Ah.. YEAH !  ;) ;D   At least.  And depending on how deep the damage is on the cylinder wall and piston. You may need an overbore and a piston and ring set.  I would take in to a local Automotive machine shop and have it looked at. And if you need it, they can fit the new piston for you.  Don't go cheap, when you have it all apart now.... and like Scottie said ,your doing all this work.

You don't have to wait for the spring compressor... sears sells the perfect U shaped spring compressor for these bikes BTW.... if you want to get busy cleaning out and checking the head.  Just get a deep socket, about the same size as the valve spring cap. Place it on top, and give the socket a sharp wrap with a mallet.  The keepers will pop right out, and you can take the valve, spring, cap, washer apart.  Don't forget valve seals and to check your valve guides.

You could have forgone the rotor puller.  An aluminum wedge works just as well.  Just place it behind the rotor, and tap it... move it around.... tap it.... move it around... tap it.  And the rotor pops right off.

And i'm thinking, a lot of that crud you cleaned off of the piston crown with the carbon, was oil from your piston slapping around......

Also check the valve train while your at it.  the lifters, the lifter bores, the push rods are straight, measure your valve springs and etc.   Basically,  go through the service manual and check all your specs.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #102 on: December 31, 2013, 04:37:17 pm
You can also use a standard 2 or 3 arm puller to get the rotor off. That was the easy part. The most challenging was to spilt the block. We even managed to break a small part on the casing - luckily not critical. I ordered myself now a crankcase splitting tool. If you have to go oversize on the piston than you can go as well for a 535 piston and rings. Unfortunately ACE did not finalise the high compression piston yet.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #103 on: December 31, 2013, 05:50:45 pm
Yes you need new rings.  Stricly speaking you should get new rings any time the piston comes out.  And you should always at least hone the cylinder.  As mentioned, if it's damaged or out of true you'll need to get it overbored.  If you do that, get the piston first and bring them in together.  Then the machinist can bore and hone the cylinder to fit the piston.

First step is to get it to a machine shop and have them take a look to see if it can just be honed and check it for true.  That answer determines your next step.

GHG, my valve collets did not pop right out.  The ring was embedded in them so hard that I had to put real heavy pressure on my makeshift spring compressor to get it to pop off the collets.  Again Dave, a machine shop will have a compressor and shouldn't charge more than a few dollars to take it apart for you to inspect.  It takes about two minutes with the right tool.  Try the socket first, it often works perfectly.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #104 on: December 31, 2013, 06:42:57 pm
Looks like he is cleaning the inside of the exhaust manifold.  before and after pictures with a bore-scope are needed to convince me.

I bet there's a little carbon coming off both.  Like I said, my friend's honda that was leaking coolant into one cylinder was the cleanest I've ever seen in a running engine, so I have faith this works.  I'd like to get a bore scope in after I do it, or at least a tiny light.  I've got an LED on wires I can sneak in there, though I can only see the piston with that, not the head, and I just put a new piston in a short while ago, so I'm sure it's still clean.

Scott