Author Topic: Road Therapy  (Read 5830 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 04:01:39 am
My regular doctor, who's a retired Flight Surgeon, told me shrinks are sick people who want other people to be dependent on them.   Having emotional problems?  He's says fly a plane, sail a boat, ride a bike, get an escape activity for yourself and only yourself.  If others join in, great, if others turn it into a chore, get another and don't let them in.  He said watching sports doesn't count, you have to be active in what you do and you have to really lose yourself in it.
Yeah Scotty, why pay some guy to listen when you can do it over a beer with other guys and have fun doing it?
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:42 pm
Commuting on a bike, even only 15 minutes each way was 100% therapy for me.  By the time I got to the office in the morning, my brain was so woken up by the commute by trying to stay alive that I felt really sharp and alert while everyone else walked in sleepy eyed and tired.  No matter how sh!tty the day was, I gave my mind up 100% to the ride home and by the time the key came out of the bike I did not have a thought to give about work.  Cleared my mind completely.  Total therapy which is why the Winter really takes a toll on a motorcyclist living in a cold climate.  Winter blues.

I would also tell people, especially those that weren't fond of motorcycling, "I just lived more in 15 minutes than you will all day."  And I believe that.

Danger and health are not mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:50:34 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:00 am
My regular doctor, who's a retired Flight Surgeon, told me shrinks are sick people who want other people to be dependent on them.   Having emotional problems?  He's says fly a plane, sail a boat, ride a bike, get an escape activity for yourself and only yourself.  If others join in, great, if others turn it into a chore, get another and don't let them in.  He said watching sports doesn't count, you have to be active in what you do and you have to really lose yourself in it.
Yeah Scotty, why pay some guy to listen when you can do it over a beer with other guys and have fun doing it?

That surgeon must be very bitter about something ...Anyhow, it helps to be informed. Its not that psychiatrists "like" their patients to be dependent but that mental illness, by its nature, tends to be chronic, especially the Bipolar/Psychosis/personality issues. Depression, anxiety and addiction issues can be pretty entrenched at times. OTOH: Psychotherapy is not for everyone. Some people are better at expressing themselves, and exploring their reasons for why they are who they are. Not all of us can do that.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 04:18:45 am

And for what its worth.......  A payment on a bike is much cheaper than seeing a therapist with no insurance.  Those jerk offs want $80-$200 just to to analyze you for 30 minutes, tell you all your faults, and tell you to come back in a few weeks so we can do it all again.  The last shrink I was seeing seemed to be a cool dude and made me feel better.....  For about 8 months after I realized he just kept telling me the same crap over and over again.  the only relief I got was bitching about my wife.

Scottie: Psychiatrists do not get paid $500/hour, (not even in the ball park....not even half of that figure). Maybe on Park Avenue they do, but not really. Psychiatrists do not do psychotherapy anymore either. Those days are over. Modern day psychotropic medications are much better than what they used to be decades ago. Psychiatrists stick with that almost exclusively. 'Talk therapy' is typically performed by psychologists (if you are lucky) but mostly by social workers and marriage and family therapists.

We are, as you will realize, a product of what we do repeatedly, our personality i.e. how we deal with issues on a daily basis. Thats what defines us and makes us unique. We do all the 'right' and 'wrong' things repeatedly, multiple times a day, everyday. Thats what makes us who we are. The goal of therapy is to recognize that and then 'change' happens, by itself. It takes years, not months. Think about it a little...It took decades for us to grow into who we are. It will take a while to undo all the learnt and innate behaviors and thought processes. Like I said in the previous post psychotherapy is not for everyone. It works for some , motorcycles work for others. Working on my motorcycle works for me.

If the timing is set too advanced on your bike, you would like your mechanic to keep telling you that it is set too advanced until you fix it even if it takes a year for you to do it. You would not expect him to tell you to change the jetting in your carb, would you?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:42:13 am by 1 Thump »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:11 pm
1 thump - Not to start an argument, but I have to agree to disagree with you.

1 - Your terminology is inaccurate.  A psychiatrist is someone who specializes in diagnosing and treating mental disorders with medication.  That's it.  Their ONLY job is figure out which medications will work for you individual case needs.  Nothing more.
    - A psychologist is the person that you actually talk to about your problems and what not.  THEIR job is to is to diagnose your actual problem/s (bi-polar, PTSD, depression, ect.) and to give you ways to cope and deal with your emotional baggage.
These are 2 totally separate departments, and though they do work together in some aspects, they have totally different jobs.  You will never see a psychologist write you a prescription for medication (unless they happen to have a degree in psychology AND psychiatry).

2 - I never said the DOCTORS get paid $500/hr.  That's just ridiculous.  I said the CLINICS charge anywhere from $80-$200 a session without insurance.  If you really believe I'm talking out of my ass, I'd be more than happy to scan my last bill that clearly states a $200 charge for the whole 20 minutes that I sat in the office.

Scottie

P.S.  You learn these kinds of things when you spend over 20 years in therapy starting at age 12 because your dad thought it was a good idea to beat the living shit out of you and your mom on a regular basis until I was old enough to finally punch him back in the face.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:33:04 pm by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:34 pm
Scottie: I don't disagree with point 1 at all. I also don't doubt what you paid. That's 600/hr and that's not the norm. Frankly, that's outrageous.
I am also sorry for what you and your mom had to go through.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:27 pm
Yes, it's quite ludicrous what they charge.  Unfortunately I've seen these kind of charges at several different clinics.  And you don't wasn't to know what they charge for inpatient  rather, it's in the thousands.

A far as my dad being an asshole, I'm over it for the most part.  The worst part is he won't even acknowledge that he ever did anything wrong.  He's remarried now and I no longer talk to him.  It is what it is.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 08:45:11 pm
Absolutely!
Or as a shrink would say, "Whadda you think?"
Bare

"How does that make you feel?"

"Feel this".....
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 09:31:34 pm
Spock to Kirk: Tell my mother I feel fine... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 04:49:14 pm
That surgeon must be very bitter about something

Nope, he's actually pretty cool for a retired Air Force Colonel.  He teaches flying lessons when he's not being a Doc and does house calls for the elderly.
This is what he actually told me, maybe a little paraphrased: A Surgeon wants to cut first, even if it's just to look inside; an Internist will give you meds and if it doesn't work, he'll give you different meds; a Psychiatrist is a sick person who wants you dependent on him."
Other quotes from him:
"If the prescription doesn't work, I'll send you to the Surgeon." (he is "the Surgeon" LOL)
"You know, I'm the County Medical Examiner and head of the Medical Review Board too.  If I screw up and kill you, I get to do the autopsy and then take my own license away."
"You aren't a car.  You don't need that spare tire."
"This medication sometimes makes people temporarily impotent.  Let me know right away 'cause we have to keep Haeyon happy (referring to my wife)."  I was never sure if intended to fix the impotence or go visit my wife.  ;D

'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH