Author Topic: Newbie on Deck  (Read 2146 times)

solararcher

• Neophyte
on: June 24, 2008, 07:51:05 pm
Subject line says it all.  I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself.  I don't own a RE, or any motorcycle for that matter.  I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Enfield though.  Although I'm young, I tend to go for the "old school" stuff over the newer, dare I say "flashier", products out there on the market.

I'm thinking about finally breaking down and getting one.  Still need to get a motorcycle license though, so I'm working on getting into some safety classes.  Is the Enfield a good "first" bike for a newbie?

I've read some articles that suggest new riders should stick with a 250cc for the first year or two while they build up experience.  So seeing that the USA only gets the 500cc bikes has me a bit concerned.  My main draw for finally getting into the game is that the cost of fuel as given me a legit reason for purchase to my wife :)  So that said, I don't think I can afford to buy a bike for only a year or two before trading it in for a larger engine.

I've got some other questions but I'll hold off on those for a bit.

thanks
solararcher

PS- I've always loved the Military model, but right now I'm leaning towards the basic Classic.  Any suggestions on appropriate looking safety gear (jacket, helmet, etc) ? This isn't a bike that screams matching flashy leather pants and jacket to me with different sponsor logos :)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:58 pm
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I think the issue of whether or not the Bullet makes a good first bike or not hinges more on how much maintenance you are willing to take on not whether  the bike is too big. Bullets are ridiculously easy too ride (once you know how to ride a motorcycle) No more of a handfull than a moped, really. That said, before you run out and buy one, make sure that you're prepared to give it the LOVING CARE it WILL need. Just a few short months ago I was in your shoes. First motorcycle, no licence, and no experience. A total immersion crash course on everything Enfield and at least a dozen general motorcycle books over the winter, not to mention the MSF course and hours of parking lot practice on my own and I still consider myself a rank novice. My suggestion, for what it's worth is, for starters, buy Mark Zimmerman's guide to motorcycle maintenance ( the exact title escapes me at the moment) and read it cover to cover (good read; one of the best of its kind) Then buy Pete Snydal's "Bullet Service Guide"( that is exact, I think) and read it cover to cover. Also become acquainted with the various Enfield technical websites (guru Nandan's is great). Know what you're getting into. Also be prepared to spend a small fortune on tools. Think ahead about when and where you are going to work on the bike and lastly, love getting your hands dirty. So, good first bike? 1400+ miles and 3 oil changes, one air filter a couple of valve adjustments, chain adjustments, obsessive daily cleaning, lubricating, fastener checking, some cosmetic mods and paying carefull attention to how the bike's character changes over time (its personality if you will) I love this bike more than ever. It may sound corny, but I feel truly privileged to have been introduced to motorcycling with an Enfield Bullet.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:35:19 pm
I wouldn't worry about the 250 vs 500 cc thing.

The HP output of the Bullet 500 is probably comparable to the output of a Honda Rebel 250 or Suzuki GZ250. Power wise it's a great first bike.

Being worried about the Bullet's engine size is a bit like being worried about the alcohol in 3/2 beer. You'd probably drown before you got drunk.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:20:27 am
As far as gear, it depends.  My military screams for a leather coat, aviator goggles and a half helmet.  Unfortunately I reconstruct fatal motorcycle accidents as part of my job.  I wear a full face DOT/Snell approved Shoei w/ reflective labels, yellow and white Cortech triple armorlink jacket w/ reflective piping (real visible at night), riding gloves and riding boots whenever I ride.  I also use my bikes for commuting daily and my ride home is at night.  The jacket lets you slide, the helmet protects the face (lots of face injuries even from low speed crashes), One thing about helmets is you get what you pay for.  Also look for Snel approved if you are in the states.  Snel is higher rating than DOT. the boots keep your ankles in one piece and the gloves save your hands should you go airborn and try to brace your landing on pavement.  Sort of a morbid outlook but I see the injuries from sneakers, half helmets and shorts all the time.   As far as the bike, it reminds me alot of my first bike, an 81 Yamaha Special 400.   Handles nice, not a rocket and very stable. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:27:12 am by sqf »
Fir Na Dli

deejay

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05:08 am
I wish I had bought the Enfield as my first bike, it would have saved me a lot of money. I went through 4 bikes in 4 years until I finally found my Bullet.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:21:39 am
id like to put in a plug for the service. cmw really stands behind everything they sell.the one year warrenty is really good,also any aftermarket stuff is also guarenteed. so get a re and put a lot of miles on it. im glad i did.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer