Author Topic: New Continti tank on iron Bullet  (Read 1768 times)

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 03, 2013, 03:46:51 am
Will the tank and seat assembly from the new Continental fit on the old iron engined Bullet

If not what mods are needed?
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:13 am
Will the tank and seat assembly from the new Continental fit on the old iron engined Bullet

If not what mods are needed?

It is an entirely different frame, so I'm sure it won't just drop on for you.  The older bullet frames, in particular, are hard to fit a cafe style seat since they don't have rails running back from the tank parallel to the ground.  You need to fabricate a sub-frame if you want that style seat.

There are plenty of places which can manufacture you a tank to fit, or you can buy one of many ready-made cafe tanks and modify it to fit the Enfield.

I know Glass from the Past has an Enfield-specific cafe seat/tail and will give you the plans for the sub-frame support you need to fabricate to support it.

Besides GFTP, there are Roc City, Airtech, slipstream cycleworks, Pat Cowan, Legendary, and many other places you can source bodywork such as tanks and tails.  But fitting them on our bike frames is never a bolt-on proposition.  There will be welding and bending and tabbing and drilling...

I had a guy named Ken Hosford make an aluminum seat for me for only $125.  Can supply his contact info via PM if anyone would like to talk to him about a seat.

Indian-made products may offer a less-costly solution.  Sans Classic Parts was doing a cafe package last I recall.  And Indian tanks are widely available on Ebay.  But it's a crap shoot with Indian stuff sometimes.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:14:58 pm
Sans Classic Parts and or Royal Enfield Zone (http://royalenfieldzone.com/seats.asp) may be the closest things you can find to bolt-on solutions, outside our hosts or Hitchcock's.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:46:05 pm by AgentX »

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:56:29 pm
 Maybe I should start my own thread but perhaps this will help the OP also. Has anyone ordered anything from Sans Classic? I did a search and didn't find much info on them.
2000 Dlx

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:08 pm
When I was in India, I bought a muffler from them.  Owner is a nice guy.  It is a small operation.

http://sansclassicparts.in/

About Indian sellers in general, there is a tendency to say they have something or can get/make/do something before they have any clue about how to actually produce or obtain the item.  And they don't think there's anything wrong with that; in fact they get offended when you find something wrong with the fact that they quoted you a price on something they don't even have, or when their unexpected product substitution is not appreciated.  (not my experience with Sans, just to be clear...)

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:22 pm
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/mods-kits/simple-cafe-racer-kit.html

I think all components in this kit, including tank and seat, are still available from our hosts.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:18:40 pm
As a personal thing, though...if you're going to do the cafe tank and seat and low bars...rearset pegs become very desirable in my opinion for most normally-proportioned people.  It's a hassle but with clip-ons I just don't see how else you can ride comfortably.

I know some people with lots of experience swear by the standard peg position but for the life of me I can't figure out how.