Author Topic: Smokey the Exhaust  (Read 971 times)

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
on: December 11, 2013, 06:23:56 pm
Hey guys,

Long time no see. Got rid of internet/tv in the household about 3 months ago so my internet usage is has dropped drastically (for the better!).

Anyways, I come to you in search of sage wisdom. I seemed to have missed the oppurtunity to take my bike to my parents' house to store in the garage for the winter. So there she sits, covered, on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building. When it snows I clear the cover and start the bike to keep it from freezing up.

I've noticed the exhaust is really smokey (greyish-white) and was thinking maybe the cold was affecting the o2/oil mixture. Is this normal for the cold?

Thanks a ton!
2013 B5 Bullet 500

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:28:43 pm
Don't start it just to keep it from freezing.  Short, cold running times like that just tend to foul plugs with carbon.  Take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger on the shelf inside somewhere.  Put some stabilizer in the gas tank and make sure it's topped up to the very top if you can.  Use the kicker and put the engine at TDC.  Move the wheels every two weeks or so to avoid getting flat spots in the tires.

The smoke you see may just be condensation coming out.  You see a lot more when it's coldHow long did you run it?

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:09:57 pm
+1
You can also protect the tires by putting the bike on a block or a couple of bricks in order the tires hang free.

Some rust protection too.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:07:06 pm
Best thing you can do for your bike is GET IT INDOORS SOMEHOW!
Unlike cars that carry their own tin shed around with them, Bikes suffer a lot more from the Elements.  That smoke is mostly condensation (vaporized water).
I hate to think of it outside an apartment building - someone may Steal or Vandalize it. Like leaving money lying around outside.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure