Author Topic: Exhaust Valve Lifter Circlip  (Read 4147 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: December 02, 2013, 02:00:09 am
    The exhaust valve push rod lifter has a circlip on it that limits the upward travel of the shouldered collar that the cam holds up when you pull the decompressor lever (the decomp cam holds the collar up which in turn holds the push rod up which keeps the exhaust valve open).

You have to get this circlip off to free the shouldered collar to replace it.

That damn clip is a tiny, evil little sucker & there is nothing to hold on to & very limited finger room & it scares the beejeezuss out of me just thinking about trying to get it off without losing it into the black hole below the lifters. Plus the little bastard is probably $28.99  :o  to replace           >:( 

Any hints/suggestions from people who've actually done it?

How tight a fit is it? 

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:12:41 am
Relax!

Turn the crank so that the exhaust cam is fully open. This allows a bit more room when removing the circlip. (I'm guessing you have the rockers and push rods out) Mine came off quite easily. If you do drop it into the black hole it won't go far, lift off the collar, and if you can't flick it out with a small srewdriver or a bit of bent wire, a small magnet will get it.

Regards,

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:58 pm
Relax!
Turn the crank so that the exhaust cam is fully open. This allows a bit more room when removing the circlip. (I'm guessing you have the rockers and push rods out) Mine came off quite easily. If you do drop it into the black hole it won't go far, lift off the collar, and if you can't flick it out with a small screwdriver or a bit of bent wire, a small magnet will get it.
Regards,
A.

Thanks, Adrian.
        Yes, head is off, push rods out, etc., etc..
        I'll attack it later this morning (my hands are useless until around 10:00) & let you know.
        Does the circlip flip loose easily if you hold one finger behind it & use a tiny screwdriver to push on one of the clip's ends? That's sort of the way I see it.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:54:19 pm
Oh dear, can't remember, possibly a fine set of long-nosed pliers?  I do remember it all went a lot easier than I was expecting. Are you swapping cams, by any chance?

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:56:14 pm
Oh dear, can't remember, possibly a fine set of long-nosed pliers?  I do remember it all went a lot easier than I was expecting. Are you swapping cams, by any chance?
A.

No, I'm not into cams, nothing that drastic. I'm sending the head off to Ace for some cleanup wizardry & at the same time installing these:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/premium-avl-pushrod-adjusters.html

The picture doesn't show the exhaust valve collar which is also included with the two adjusters. The new adjuster will NOT fit into the OEM collar. You must replace the collar & the adjuster together. As you see I'm not down there yet    ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:30 pm
             As you see I'm not down there yet    ;D

Well, I got right Tuit after I sent the above & exactly what I was afraid of happened.

It took me 15 minutes of trying different ways & I finally got one end loose & could hold it up long enough with a very old small knife I've had for a hundred years. I was popping the rest loose with my smallest needle nose & it was gone. My hands were hurting awful by then & it's a really hard place to work in (on my knees, of course) with drop light shadows & bifocals added in for extra spice. I should quit doing crap like this.

I've been down there since trying to find it with magnets & lights & I'm positive it's not in the lifter gallery. I think it must have gone right down the oil return hole (of course) which looks plenty big enough. And I'm positive it's not on the floor. I'll go down in a while & search that side of the whole engine itself again. Surface tension of the oil would stick it to metal just like glue which would explain it not being on the floor (the bike is on an old kitchen rug which would show the clip up really well).

Another part added to my list. I could just delete that collar, I suppose, but I prefer killing the engine with it rather than the key.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:49:52 pm
             Well, I got right Tuit after I sent the above & exactly what I was afraid of happened.

It took me 15 minutes of trying different ways & I finally got one end loose & could hold it up long enough with a very old small knife I've had for a hundred years. I was popping the rest loose with my smallest needle nose & it was gone. My hands were hurting awful by then & it's a really hard place to work in (on my knees, of course) with drop light shadows & bifocals added in for extra spice. I should quit doing crap like this.

I've been down there since trying to find it with magnets & lights & I'm positive it's not in the lifter gallery. I think it must have gone right down the oil return hole (of course) which looks plenty big enough. And I'm positive it's not on the floor. I'll go down in a while & search that side of the whole engine itself again. Surface tension of the oil would stick it to metal just like glue which would explain it not being on the floor (the bike is on an old kitchen rug which would show the clip up really well).

Another part added to my list. I could just delete that collar, I suppose, but I prefer killing the engine with it rather than the key.

Yer not gonna believe this (well, some of you will).

While I was down there this morning cleaning up the bloody wire tangle in that left side case (the mystery little black box remember?) I laid my drop light down at one time & there it was the little bastard! The little circlip that captures the exhaust valve push rod that I lost on December 2nd.

I had a feeling the whole time I might find it by accident. It's not the 1st time   :)

Adrian

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:18:21 pm
At least you now know the little black box was a circlip retention field generator.  8)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48:16 am
I hope you folks all see the true story behind "The Finding Of the Circlip".

Never, but NEVER sweep up the debris on your shop floor!
Great treasures are lurking there, waiting to be found.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary