Author Topic: Gear shift lever went plop and I got dumped fromthe bike.  (Read 6758 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 02:21:25 pm
More +1
 :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 06:51:29 pm
+3, or +4, or whatever we're up to.

Remember that you do need a little play in and out on the shifter.  Don't make it too tight ;)

Scott

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 05:39:05 am
Frankly, you can't make it tight enough. It popped out again today, with a single washer. This has gotten old real fast. I say RE is just another POS, where they need to pony up and send the better parts and fix the damn thing. It's got 4300 miles on it and has been babied. This shouldn't be happening.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 07:31:05 am
I am sorry to hear about your experience. Should've taken it to the dealer for a second opinion. Not disrespecting or judging your father's work at all.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 01:44:37 pm
The Dealer is over an hour away, and about 75$ in gas roundtrip for the truck. For a bike they will claim is out of warranty and I will have to pay somene else to fix. So what, a day after fixing it I should spend another 75$ in gas?

The problem was exactly as described on this forum, and has nothing to do with my father's skillset and everything to do with a pathetic weak design. It was patently obvious what happened. The bike gets sticky about shifting when it's nose is pointed slightly uphill, you put pressure on, it jusmps through multiple gears, and finally the shift lever pops out. It's a purely mechanical issue.

I can put up with issues like the paint flaking around the edge of the gas cap, or rust showing up on the show room floor. But the bike needs to be reliable. Period. This is a bad design.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 02:39:39 pm
I wouldn't call it a pathetic weak design.

I am sorry that you had to put up with this.

There are thousands and thousands of UCEs sold each year (of course, mostly in the Indian domestic market), gear lever popping out is very rare, as far as I know (Please feel free to correct me). It is a big leap to call it 'bad design'. I've had no problems with my UCE since I've had it. It has been 22 months. I'm close to 11,000 miles, I also take care of it like a baby, not that I have any of my own, yet. I do not use it as a daily, and I do not over-stress it.

Few members on here have done close to 20,000mi + without the gear lever popping out, or other major problems. Gear shifting on my Bullet is very smooth, I rarely get any false neutrals (almost none), I keep the clutch play at 3mm at the lever. The bike has always been good to me. It is sad that this hasn't been the same for you.

And I am sure there are many UCEs that run close to perfect, and other members can attest to this. Minor issues, I don't care about them. Japanese precision will never be present on these bikes. The Continental is a whole new breed though, seems quite promising. As this is a forum, people come on here to discuss their problems, which are also present in any other marque, whether it be Japanese, German etc. Nothing is perfect.

Calling RE a POS is also calling the 110+ year history behind it crap also. This is old technology with a modern touch, and the UCE has been a new venture for RE since the iron barrel. Some issues can be expected. I am sure their engineers try the best to keep the problems away. A rotten fruit can sometimes go undetected in a picnic basket. Good dealer prep is also the key, plus owner awareness of their own 'baby'.

The bikes are quite reliable, the bad design is only present in your bike's gearbox/mechanism, unfortunately. Spending $75 in gas to get a second opinion would've still been okay, maybe the dealer could've detected something that your father might've overlooked. Just a few posts ago you had mentioned that the bike is back on the road and then the thing went out again. Now, is this bad design or something that is missing in there, or something that hasn't been looked at properly. That is why I was referring to the dealer.

I can only say good luck...or you might just sell it. It is sad to say, but sometimes Enfields are not for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:54:31 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 03:27:41 pm
Well it's been stated many times that this bike isn't for everyone..My iron isn't perfect (actually it is to me) but I don't rely on it for major transport and it gets shut down for the winter...Sorry about your issues and it might be a good time to consider selling it or trading it in for something more Japanese...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 05:22:57 pm

This shouldn't be happening.

+1.  And you should not have to be monkeying around with washers to get it right. I'm not so sure it's a problem with the design, as it is with the parts you have on your bike. As stated earlier in the thread.... the angle on the parts could be wrong, or SOMETHING is wrong with your parts.  I never needed washers on my bike, and I must say it's the easiest shifting bike that I have ever owned.  After seeing the washer thing here on the forum, and while I was working on my bike , I tried it. It just caused my shifter to bind......   And no, you should not have to just suck it up or buy a Jap bike,  something ain't right ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:25:17 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 05:36:05 pm
I agree as well with GHG and JVS.  My C5 has fortunately been very reliable.  The washers are not required for these bikes....it was simply a little adjustment to tighten up the shifting in my bike.....driven primarily by a need to tinker rather than a design flaw!

It does appear that there is something wrong with your parts.  Hopefully you can get your bike fixed soon and go back to having fun instead of having to deal with these issues.  I would second the recommendation to get this checked by someone who is comfortable with RE repairs.  Wishing you all the best.

GSS
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:38:17 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 05:49:45 pm
I agree as well with GHG and JVS.  My C5 has fortunately been very reliable.  The washers are not required for these bikes....it was simply a little adjustment to tighten up the shifting in my bike.....driven primarily by a need to tinker rather than a design flaw!

It does appear that there is something wrong with your parts.  Hopefully you can get your bike fixed soon and go back to having fun instead of having to deal with these issues.  I would second the recommendation to get this checked by someone who is comfortable with RE repairs.  Wishing you all the best.

GSS

+1 GSS.   I agree, if it's minor adjustment thing, I don't think it's a big deal with the washer.  But with our unfortunate fellow forum member here, Her problem seems to go beyond that. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 07:26:30 pm
When i got my c5 it seemed to have false neutrals i the 3-4 shift...i moved the shift lever up 2 splines and issue is gone...aside from that the tranny is smooth...I hope her dad used a manual with all the specs...end play and such is critical on any bike trans...i have been a mechanic since 1970 and have seen many screw ups by people who think they know it all...i know my limitations and when to get professional help from those who know more than i...wish her the best but she needs professional help...
2014 c5 military

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 07:50:20 pm
Calling RE a POS is also calling the 110+ year history behind it crap also

The Ford model T was a great car. But I don't judge my current Ford truck on what Ford made 100 year ago. I judge it on what is coming out of the factory. I don't mind older technology. I don't mind not having frill. I chose the RE to have a a simple dependable workhorse that didn't have plastic bits to melt in the sun and went from point A to point B with no fanfare, could be fixed easily, and carry stuff around. The Indians ride them every day right?

And yes, professionals who worked routinely on British bikes since the 1950's did look at documentation and were like...hmmm, interesting? 

i moved the shift lever up 2 splines and issue is gone

One would find themselves asking why an adjustment on something like that should really make any difference on something going on inside beyond how you personally were shifting? Your foot angle? I am not being ugly here, I am being serious.

And when I did talk to the dealer they made it sound like a rather big deal to this tinkering you are talking about. Like large amounts of labour for a breakdown. You can imagine why I am a bit hesitant to embark on that one quite yet.

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 08:39:40 pm
I was not trying to be condesending or anything like that...I wish to help...I was just stating what worked for me...as i felt the linkage which i will say the lever is dealer installed did not suit my style of riding this one adjustment helped prevent a future possible problem...i hope your issues are resolved ,just remember to keep positive...negative rubs off on others...trying to help the best i can from afar...
2014 c5 military

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 11:04:24 pm
And when I did talk to the dealer they made it sound like a rather big deal to this tinkering you are talking about. Like large amounts of labour for a breakdown. You can imagine why I am a bit hesitant to embark on that one quite yet.

Allison, if your dealer acted that way, particularly after you described the problem, he/she was WAY out of line. A good dealer would have strongly recommended you bring it in ASAP. Your problem has thrown you once. Next time could be much more serious. This isn't about "tinkering around...it's about satisfying a customer and keeping them safe.
Try again to set up an appointment for maintenance and if the problem persists get in touch with Kevin/CMW.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.