Author Topic: Gear shift lever went plop and I got dumped fromthe bike.  (Read 6769 times)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 12:44:58 am
... I think this is the last effort I will make with this bike, or any bike. I can't break down every 400 miles. That's part of the reason the Vespa went. Even under warranty you get tired of being stuck or not able to ride for one reason or another. Looks like only the Japanese can make dependable bikes, soulless as they are...
I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.  I sold my RE after getting tired of things going wonky.  The new Conti might be a whole new world.  I hope so.

There are plenty of smaller motorcycles that are plenty fun, and reliable, too.  The "soul" of a motorcycle is what you make it, and put into it. 

Good luck.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 04:31:36 am
Looks like it was Pops to the rescue, though the local guys were even willing to come pick the bike up on their trailer. But while I was off making music Dad decided to be helpful. I had sent him soe of the pictures  from this site I found and you all also referenced. he didn't even have to take the outer case all the way off. He also spent some tie trying to tighten the shift play, but will end up putting a washer or two in. He used to race British cars and was a little disappointed in the design.

ScooterBob - he did reuse the gasket because it's not minor to replace it, and it wasn't really disturbed. It totally stuck to one side. And yes, I agree, while silicone gasket sealer is not what we want in the best of cases, the dealer in Richmond didn't have one in stock and we aren't waiting a week to get one and put it on in freezing weather.

Oil poured everywhere so the bike can't be tested yet. Any suggestions on synthetic oils?

Tomorrow we double check and tighten things, and then test. I coudn't find torque specifications in the owners manual. Are there any?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 04:51:21 am
The service manual says the bolts that hold the side case in place should be torqued to 10 N/M , 7.3 lb/ft or 87 lb/in.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 05:02:18 am
  The torque spec for the cover bolts are 10 n/m.   And PLEASE stress to your Pops the importance of NOT covering the oil passages on the top of the cover and the corresponding one in the case...it's above the cam plate , and next to one of the cover mounting bolt holes.   ALSO... The importance of the inlet oil pump O ring.  It was likely dislodged  when removing the cover or partially removing the cover. It's behind the oil filter housing, on the INSIDE of the side cover and easily falls out. If it's in poor shape, replace it.... You should be able to find one at an auto store.   Don't run the bike without checking these things !!

Mobil 1  20-50 syn is fine.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 05:10:15 am
When I hear about n/m or Newton Meters I somehow I visualize a Fig Newton just a bit longer than a yard long.  Yum!

That's why I convert those funny numbers into Lb/Ft or Lb/In.
Well, it's also because my Snap-On torque wrench doesn't have Fig Newtons, I mean Newton Meters on the handle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 06:11:01 am
Even after 20 years working with Metrics, the first thing that comes to mind is 3.8 liters per flush.  :o
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 08:03:24 pm
Oh s^%$! ;D ;D ;D

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:07 pm
[quote author

Mobil 1  20-50 syn is fine.....
[/quote]
+++1,  HARD TO BEAT MOBIL 1  20/50W
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 11:34:09 pm
 Good stuff......
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 02:30:14 am
Bike is back together, but not really operational yet. Pops did check for additional bits and pieces coming loose when I wasn't watching. He used to race Triumphs, and made me help him work on the race cars -I learned a lot from this - so I trust him. Unfortunately it looks like there is still a problem. It really won't shift gears well at all. Now, the clutch lever was bent, and he thinks it's just not releasing. He was able to rock it back and forth and fiddle and get it up and down through gears so he is blaming the clutch, and the lever at this point. But it means no bike until I get back, and have a new lever. We got it into neutral and it fired right up.  He thought the amount of play in the shifting mechanism was dangerous, and put in the washers.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04:18 am
You do need a little play in the shifter, so don't tighten it up too much.  These bikes are also really picky about clutch free play.  About 2mm at the lever is right.  If your lever is tweaked it may just not work.

Scott

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 03:29:52 am
The bike is back on the road. We waited for better weather and in about an hour had the clutch and other bits adjusted. We did remove one washer, and will find a thinner one, and then get a measure and see for sure. Bits from a Triumph TR6  ;D.

It does actually shift better. Neutral is much easier to find, and the false neutral between 3rd and 4th are less likely to happen.

The little wiring grommit is not quit seated back in so there is a bit of oil weeping. We will fix it if it does not require pulling the case all the way off and the leakage is minimal.

Now fora new windscreen.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 03:32:50 am
It's great to hear you got things fixed and the bike is off and running again. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 03:36:15 am
+1
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 01:11:57 pm
Another +1.
 :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.