Author Topic: Gear shift lever went plop and I got dumped fromthe bike.  (Read 6763 times)

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Well guys, the string of glitches keep coming.  :-\ I have watched the video on the O2 sensor andhad planned to it those tests this week. I had some work and then was quite sick when it got super cold, so I did not fiddle. I did run it, but anyways, yeterday I got suited up to go do a table read for an upcoming screen play, and had a bad moment on the way to the forum.
This bike has always been sticky about shifting when cold, but I put that down to British Bike. It was unsually difficult though, and I had to shift down, ansd it simply wouldn;t budge, usually popping up a gear and then back down works but this time I had to put some real pressure onto it, and it popped and went flop. I tried to pul it up with my toe and it popped back into gear, but WAY lower, and I basically got bucked from the bike and went down.

The windshield took the brunt of it it and the left side of the bike was kept undamaged, and I fell clear. I haven't come off a bike in over 25 years, and that was fooling in the dirt.  I was completely armoured in this case, because it's cold.

Only, now I have a bike that acts like it is neutral, with a flopping shift lever, een though pulling it up had some clicking going on.

I did some research on the site and see that the fork mechanism can be kind of sloppy, and the tab can actually jump out. Best case scenario is remving the side plate and resetting it and adding some washers for a more snug fit - it did always have play. I am assuming worst case scenario is a damaged tranny. I am worried because it is rolling as if in neutral, but I am not sure that it is. The shift lever comes to the left quite far, but not out, so something solid is still there.

The easier stuff I am sure the local guys can fix. Actually I could but I don't have a good place right now. The complicated stuff it will probably need to be driven down to the dealer. What's you best guess from what you more experienced guys have seen?

TIA as always.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:40:31 pm
I suspect that it has popped out if the shifter fork.  Tilt the bike to the left and you can take off the right side cover and not spill any oil.  Tell this to the local guys and even they should be able to that sorted. Then you can get it to the dealer and really have it looked at.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55:10 pm
Probably knocked the arm out of the U connector. It's a pretty easy fix. Pull the right side cover off and and it's right there.  Pic of mechanism attached.
Once you get it back together, pull the shift lever and get some 3/4" washers to shim the shaft by sliding them on between the shift lever and case. Leave a little play so the lever still moves freely.
I highly doubt there is any other damaged to the gearbox.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:00:54 pm
As a side note:  Each gears "dog" must totally disengage from whatever it is driving before the next gear up or down can engage with whatever it is driving.  This prevents the transmission from being in two gears at the same time.  It also makes a "false neutral" between each gear.

I say, "whatever it is driving" because most motorcycle transmissions gears engage tabs on the shaft they are running on but some motorcycle transmissions gears engage the tabs on the adjacent gear to transmit the power.

The problem in the OP sounds like the shift fork on the shift rod has lost its engagement with the drive for the shift cam that moves the gears.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:47:35 am
This, as I understand it, has been an ongoing with more than a few bikes. The parts were not manufactured correctly (ends welded on the shafts at the wrong angles) and parts were poorly designed. There are apparently upgraded parts available. I'd be certain to get this repaired under warranty. It is, as you've discovered, a potentially dangerous condition.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:24 pm
This makes me feel a bit better, even though the whole thing is a pain in the tuckus. I think this is the last effort I will make with this bike, or any bike. I can't break down every 400 miles. That's part of the reason the Vespa went. Even under warranty you get tired of being stuck or not able to ride for one reason or another. Looks like only the Japanese can make dependable bikes, soulless as they are.

If its the first part I know my local shop can take care of the problem. They have worked on a lot of British bikes in the past, so they would be competent. It will save an unnecessary trip to the dealer. And no, it isn't under warrranty, though I might start pushes in the community to end this non-transferable warrranty crap. It's a new bike. Period. This stuff shouldn't be breaking.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:07:56 pm
So it looks like there is a gasket there. Were you all able to wiggle that off and reuse it? Or is it something that will need to be replaced?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:51:44 pm
There is a gasket.
Very good chance it can be reused, if it passes inspection.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:44 pm
+1.  And if not some Permatex Gray or Black will do.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 12:44:16 am
+1.  And if not some Permatex Gray or Black will do.

Scott

DO NOT reuse the right side case gasket - and DO NOT put silly putty on it. It has oil passages that can get clogged with sealer - or lose pressure due to a poor seal ..... just get one. They're cheap compared to a trashed engine ...... Just sayin' ......

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 12:46:40 am
DO NOT reuse the right side case gasket - and DO NOT put silly putty on it. It has oil passages that can get clogged with sealer - or lose pressure due to a poor seal ..... just get one. They're cheap compared to a trashed engine ...... Just sayin' ......

Amen to that brother.   8)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 12:52:59 am
Sorry, I take for granted that I know how to avoid those problems.  I forget not everyone does.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 01:55:14 am
Sorry, I take for granted that I know how to avoid those problems.  I forget not everyone does.

Scott

Nuthin' but a thang ...... it's a lot easier to get INTO a mess than out of it most of the time ...... YOU know .....  ::)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 03:37:57 am
Here is the rest of the fix....looks like Bare only copied one picture from my old post.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14575.msg154863.html#msg154863
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:04 pm
Here is the rest of the fix....looks like Bare only copied one picture from my old post.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14575.msg154863.html#msg154863

That is very well demonstrated; easy and cheap solution.
I just checked on mine (E5). Have a play of 1.5 mm.
Occasional false neutrals always come due to heavy boots; never experience false neutrals using thinner boots.
Is the shifter problem as discussed typical for C5 or something all might develop?

Edit: disregard question. I've been looking in the books. All are identical in this regard. So all can run into this trouble.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:43:54 am by Royalista »
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt