Author Topic: How to get the Dog to ride in the Sidecar?  (Read 15120 times)

enfielddan

• Scooter
on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:16 pm
My dog likes to ride in the convertible car.  However, he does not like the sidecar when the motorcycle is running.  Since the exhaust is near him, he jumps out when the motor is started.  I have bought a dog tether (not installed yet), but I want him to stay on his own accord/wishes.  How do I train him or what did people do who had this particular problem?

Thanks,
2012 C5 with Inder Sidecar
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:06:02 pm by enfielddan »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:45:56 pm
Like all critters, he's afraid of the unknown.

A exhaust pipe thumping away right beside him can be a unnerving thing.  For all he knows it's something that might take a big bite out of his butt if he waits there long enough.

I think after a few slow speed rides after you tether him in and he'll start enjoying the passing scenery and forget all about the noise that didn't eat him.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:05:13 pm
+1

I think maybe just letting the bike idle for a while sitting there and try to associate your dog to the bike running.  Let him get used to the sound of the exhaust so he feels a little more comfortable.  If he likes the convertible I'm sure he'll love the side car once he gets adjusted.  :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:35:53 pm
Tranquilizers.  He won't need them after he gets used to it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:06:02 pm
As you acclimate him to being near the bike while it is running (idling), be sure to give him LOTS of positive praise and "Good dog!" messages (the occasional treat helps).  Also do this with him in the sidecar without the engine running.  Then introduce the tether - continuing the praise for the desired behavior.  Wait until he seems comfortable being near the idling engine, then add the engine running at idle to being in the sidecar without the tether (give him the escape route).  Alternate the engine idling (without tether) with engine off (with tether) to keep him familiar with the tether and allowing the escape while getting him used to in the sidecar with engine running. 
Gradually condition him to engine running, in the sidecar AND tether in place before introducing motion.  Always use the tether once you introduce motion.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:17 pm
Both of my Scotties love the sidecar.  My Great Dane is interested, but at 200 lb, he will not fit.  I have a seatbelt fitted to use with dogs, children, or cargo.  With a harness and leash on the dog, I pass the hand loop of the leash halfway under the brisket strap on the leash and fold in back on itself.  I then pass the seatbelt through this loop to secure the dog.  With a little slack in the belt, the dog can move forward off the seat to get out of the wind at speeds of 45 or higher, but at lower speeds, she stays on the seat with one foot on the armrest to look around.  She can't get her chest over the armrest, so there is no danger of her trying to jump out.  A few minutes in the sidecar and a few trips up and down the driveway and they are ready to hit the road and see what they can see.  Both of my small dogs quickly got the idea and get very excited if I get out the harness and leash.  They know what it means.  GA-DK

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 05:37:17 am
I used my dog's favorite treats to get him in the first time.  I felt that introducing him to it with the motor running was the best way, but needed the treats to get him in.

I felt that if I induced him to get in with the motor off, when I first started it I'd have to convince him all over again.  So it was motor on from the git-go.   Seemed to work.  He was leery at first, but after a few minutes of just idling; feeding treats; idling; feeding treats; running up the revs; feeding treats; then finally a slow ride around the neighborhood, he was fine with it.

Now my big problem is that I cannot trust him to stay in the tub if he sees something "chase-worthy" along the road.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Raconteur

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:30:40 pm
My dog always got upset when I left on the bike so I decided to see if would like riding in the side car. He loves it! As a matter of fact now when he doesn't get to go he throws a big fit. Here is how I got him used to it. I was afraid that he might jump out and get hurt so the first thing I did was get him a body harness.  So he can't jump out, also if I stop suddenly he won't  get hurt. I rigged a strap behind the side car seat that I can clip his harness into. So this works like a nice seat belt. He can move around but he can't jump out. At first I sat him in the side car with the bike running. Then short trips around the yard. After he got used to that we drove around the neighborhood. Eventually we started taking longer trips to the park and the pet store. He got comfortable traveling on the bike and now we have gone on several long trips. He's a real biker now. He has a jacket to keep him warm, rain gear and even some “doggles”. He's really happy when he gets to go places in the side car. He's figured out that when I put on his harness we are going riding so he gets really excited. I think it really depends on the dogs personality if he likes riding or not.             

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:18:45 am
Raconteur - Do you have any pics?  I really want to get a rig so I can give my bulldog rides.  :)

Scottie

Raconteur

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:37:45 pm
Right now the Enfield isn't running. I should have it fixed soon and I'll post some photos. The harness is just  a nylon strap one from a pet store. It's a heavy duty harness though and goes around his neck and body. The "D" ring is in the back so when you clip it on it works pretty good. It's much safer than tying to use a collar.       

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 01:46:55 pm
I was referring to your furry four legged friend sitting in the side car.  I love dogs, I love bikes, I really enjoy a dog with a bike.  LOL   :D

Scottie

Raconteur

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 08:02:05 pm
In regards to strapping the dog in the sidecar so he won't jump out and get hurt. I came accross a video of a dog riding in a Ural sidecar. They did basically the same thing I did. I have a cozy side car and I ran the leash behind the seat and strapped the leash to the harness. Here is the video:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBf5yG4Tk7E

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 06:14:20 am
I am the one who started this topic and as an update....the pet dog is riding in the sidecar now.  I had one of my daughters hold him while they both ride in the sidecar...twice.   On the third time right after the second ride, he rode by himself....no tether or harness.  He rides by himself numerous times in the sidecar and really looks forward to it...in fact he will stay by the sidecar once it is uncovered and rolled out the garage.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 02:07:02 pm
Very Cool.  8)

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 12:07:31 pm
Awesome!  Now you need to get him some Doggles.  8)