Author Topic: Couple of Conti 535 questions  (Read 13394 times)

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 11:33:31 am
Yep. Good point on the height factor. I'm 6'1" so maybe that's why it felt okay.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 01:22:14 pm
About the 3M Clear Bras.......  They definitely have a list of pros and cons.  I personally don't care for them and feel they cause more of a head ache than what it's really worth.

PROS:

1. It does protect against rock chips and most scratches.
2. It is nearly invisible.

CONS:
1. Not very UV resistant.  If your car is not kept in a garage, the clear bra will still start breaking down, drying out, cracking and splitting making it nearly impossible to remove without having to repaint that part of the vehicle.  I have seen this will happen in as short as 5 years old.
2. It is quite expensive and CRAZY expensive to have someone install it.  If you've never done window tint or vinyl graphics before don't even ATTEMPT to install it yourself.
3. If your vehicle needs collision repair work down the road you could be charged an additional labor fee just to have the clear bra removed to have the repair work done.  For example, I charge a minimum of $100 and up to $250 to remove a clear bra.
4. They look like absolute crap after the vinyl has started to break down and no longer becomes effective.  Once it has reached this point of aging it takes approximately 2-3 hours to remove, and as I previously stated, it becomes nearly impossible to remove without damaging the paint.
5. If a big enough rock (or whatever) hits the clear bra and tears it, that tear will collect every bit of dirt and moisture in comes in contact with and will eventually start staining the paint underneath.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 01:22:49 pm
I am at the most 5' 7".  Being a bit undersize, I will have contact with more area of the fuel tank. 

And if any of us (probably all of us  :) ) want to skirt the limits of how fast the bike will go (of course, after being properly broken in), we will have more contact with the said fuel tank being in a more prone position.  And if the bike is modified to go after the ton, then probably even more contact.

Speaking of modifications: 1.) Will the bike come standard with the higher performance exhaust that some articles are writing about or will it be an accessory that we can buy afterwards?  I am not referring to the fact that the factory exhaust will already have a better flowing exhaust than the other RE lineup.  Of course, with any extra funds, one can sooner or later, buy probably any go-fast upgrade.  2.) Will the seat be leather or vinyl material.  3.) I wonder what mods ACE, Hitchcocks, and other companies will have as go-fast and look-dandy after market parts and accessories.

Yes, indeed, I will have to protect that tank.  So that will be my first modification to the bike...what will be yours?

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 01:28:27 pm
So that will be my first modification to the bike...what will be yours?

For starters: Removing the centre (main) stand, front and rear splash guards and the alloy "things" besides the brake and gear footpegs. That should do.

Opticoating is another good method to preserve the paint.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:06 pm
I am at the most 5' 7".  Being a bit undersize, I will have contact with more area of the fuel tank. 

And if any of us (probably all of us  :) ) want to skirt the limits of how fast the bike will go (of course, after being properly broken in), we will have more contact with the said fuel tank being in a more prone position.  And if the bike is modified to go after the ton, then probably even more contact.

Speaking of modifications: 1.) Will the bike come standard with the higher performance exhaust that some articles are writing about or will it be an accessory that we can buy afterwards?  I am not referring to the fact that the factory exhaust will already have a better flowing exhaust than the other RE lineup.  Of course, with any extra funds, one can sooner or later, buy probably any go-fast upgrade.  2.) Will the seat be leather or vinyl material.  3.) I wonder what mods ACE, Hitchcocks, and other companies will have as go-fast and look-dandy after market parts and accessories.

Yes, indeed, I will have to protect that tank.  So that will be my first modification to the bike...what will be yours?

Granted, the power plant is essentially the same design as the UCE, but being that it is a brand new construction bike that hasn't even officially hit the world market yet, I'd assume it will probably be at least 2 years before there are any real aftermarket mods specifically for the Continental.

Scottie

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 03:23:56 pm
The TankSlapper stuff has all the pros and none of the cons of the 3M film.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 04:04:48 pm

Regarding engine mods,  it seems like most will work, although there are apparently some differences in a few parts like throttle body, piston, and cams.
Since the actual differences are not known to me yet, I will be interested to see exactly what was changed by the factory.  I expect only small changes in parts specs, due to the small increase in power output in this model.

Speaking for Ace, I think that our upgrades will augment the factory changes in most ways. For example, our rockers should work.with these "hotter cams" to make them even "hotter". The "bigger throttle body" will allow a higher rev range after porting the head to suit. We can just roll that right into our port work for those models, or any others with tha larger throttle body. We port every head by hand in a custom way anyway. No problem.
While it is a 535,  and our piston will also be 535, there may/ will be a need for one of our pistons, depending on how high valve lift is involved and what the desired compression ratio will be.

There may be a need for us to develop another map for this package in our programmable ECU.

ALL "do-able" for us without too much drama.

The warranty may cause us to not see any of these for two years, but for any adventurous types who might want to do some work on it right away, we could get right on that any time you're ready.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:10:31 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 07:06:46 pm
Isat on one and there was a bit more pressure on my wrists than what my Cafe Racer RE had. It wouldn't have taken me long to get usedto the extra load, though. I had to on the Guzzi. And I'm the shortest one here. I didn't feel the tank was in too much danger of me scratching it. I was sitting fairly far back on the seat. If I had slid forward to the tank, I'd probably been too upright to get a belt buckle into it. I can't think of any tank I ever scratched up anyway. I did have Bra on my Ducati tank because that as the Mode O' Day back then.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:47 pm
Anyone know if RE/CMW will be at this year's International Motorcycle Show?  Anyone know if they'll be at the Seattle one?  They made just a few of the biggest locations last year, not Seattle sadly :(

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 09:11:27 pm
They were at LA. Kevin didn't say where they were going from here, however they didn't show up on the preshow list of exhibitors here, otehr than asking the local dealers, I don't know how else you can find out.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: December 12, 2013, 09:36:44 pm
Right, last year I saw they were on the LA and a few other show lists and NOT on Seattle, so I figured they weren't coming to me, which they didn't.  But I'm wondering if they're going anywhere this year.

Scott

sixtysix

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 04:23:36 pm
I have seen a few posts where guys have ordered a continental. For those that have, were you able to order the upgraded exhaust and bar end mirrors, and if so how much are they. Also i think I know the answer, but when can we get one?!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 06:47:29 pm
I was just at my local dealer.  They placed orders for a few last year.  They're still waiting and they still don't have a firm delivery date.

Scott

bugtussle

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:51 pm
I have seen a few posts where guys have ordered a continental. For those that have, were you able to order the upgraded exhaust and bar end mirrors, and if so how much are they. Also i think I know the answer, but when can we get one?!

I talked with my dealer about this the other day. On the bar end mirrors he said he was hopeful but won't really know until they open the first crate. He said the muffler should be here in January and some of the apparel and helmets in February.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 07:20:00 pm
been without a bike now for about 2 months...days get boring!

I made it to 4 months before I couldn't stand it any more, hence the Guzzi. It would have been over a year and over 9000 miles of riding that I would have missed if I were still waiting! After the Goose, I doubt that I will come back!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer