Author Topic: Couple of Conti 535 questions  (Read 13401 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 07:14:58 am
Thanks for the correction.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 04:05:53 pm
I wonder how much the Conti GT nylon jacket will sell for? I think it looks kinda neat while not being overly flashy. I haven't seen a price listed anywear....
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 04:13:02 pm
I would like to know what size is this new "larger throttle body" that they spoke of in the marketing text?
I'd also like to know what these "hotter cams" are?

And are these, and the 535 bored barrel going to be available from the parts network?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 04:32:58 pm
Ace, I'm not sure about the hotter cams or larger manifold - I can just confirm that indeed a representative of RE in India confirmed that the manifold was enlarged. For my 5 cents worth when I took the bike for a test ride I was not convinced. My 535cc conversion feels a lot more powerful. On the other hand the handling is superb compared to the standard C5.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 02:45:43 am
Me 2 on the retirement income restriction.
House needs a roof,house needs paint or siding,wife needs surgery,Studebakers need restoring...............Jolly,needs only an oil change.And a weather change.

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:48 pm
When I put my refundable deposit down on the Conti 535, I was told by the dealership that I was the first one on their list; however, when I got the paperwork I saw no indication of that fact.   The dealership said it was the date of deposit and the date of the paperwork that was the indicator.  I voiced my concern, and the dealership modified the paperwork to reflect that I had the first option to buy or the first right of refusal on their first RE Conti 535.  They also said they expect it to be here in February. 

For the people who are considering of buying the bike, you have to consider not only the base price, but also all the dealer fees and appropriate taxes.

I do have a concern that I would like to voice.  My other bikes are cruisers with a sitting up riding stance.  The Conti 535 CafĂ© Racer will be more of a front leaning stance and coupled with the larger gas tank and the shape of the gas tank itself, my fear that something on my clothing (zippers, buttons, snaps, or buckles of the either the pants, shirt, sweater, belt, or jacket) will scratch the gas tank.  I wish the back area of the Conti fuel tank had a protector shield (just like my 2012 C5 has two protector shields on the rear left and right sides of the fuel tank).

I have been looking at my clothes to determine which ones might be appropriate for riding the Conti in order not to scratch the fuel tank.  Of course, without ever being on one, my concerns might be unfounded.  Does anyone else has this particular concern (more potential of scratching the fuel tank)?  Maybe Royal Enfield or a 2nd party vendor will provide a means to protect the fuel tank more. 

Maybe I'll have to  put on one of those clear plastic protectors that they apply to the hoods and front of cars.  But that would not look factory and might lessen the looks of the bike; however, scratches will lessen it more.  What would other people do and what are the other options?

2012 RE C5 with sidecar

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:08 pm
I think that 3m makes a clear plastic "sticker" that is nearly invisible, and applies over the paint job in the areas which need to be protected.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 05:00:34 pm
Do add a protection.
The lowest button of my jacket made a scratch on the tank, and this bullet ain't even a conti. Figures.  :)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 06:08:41 pm
This stuff is also great:
http://www.thetankslapper.biz/

Unlike the 3M stuff, there's no permanent adhesive.  It just sticks by static cling.  Very easy to apply, remove, and re-apply.  I've used it before and it worked very well.  I also met the guy who sells it since I needed a custom piece for my bike and he was local.  Nice guy.

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:02 pm
Hello Enfielddan. Don't worry to much about the riding position. The photos I've seen, the Conti's have adjustable bars, arriving in the tallest position, very similar to Home Market British Bikes of the 60's. You will be leaning forward some, but the wind will probably help you feel comfortable. The rear set peg position may require the most adjustment.
  SCRATCHING the TANK depends somewhat on your build. If you are trim you won't rub the tank as much as a more portly person. If you consider what your wearing, & exercise normal care you should be OK. I changed out the metal buckles on my motorcycle jackets for leather covered buckles, & a Plastic buckle on my wax cottons. I even wear a leather covered buckle around all my machinery & projects.
DON'T LET ANYBODY ELSE RIDE YOUR BIKE. I let another Ural owner ride the Ural I built up, the A.Hole left his jacket unzipped, & the dangling metal zipper tab scratched the stew out of my NEW TANK. Never get to old to learn I guess.
Hope you enjoy the new bike. please pretend you are me while riding it.
THANKS, Craig   
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 01:51:58 am
enfielddan
both you and i will have the very first bikes in different countries ;).  i did a verbal order on purchase with the aust dealership over 12 months ago and paid the $1k deposit about 2 months back.
told them i don't care about demo rides just ring me when it arrives and will pick it up.
when my deposit was placed the bike was suppose to be here in december but a few probs with the compliance on the bike and the delivery date was re scheduled to mid feb.
from what ive read i wouldn't be too concerned about a bit of a paint scratch - i'd be more concerned about the vibration shaking us off the bike  ;)
after i get mine if the vibs are too bad i will keep it as a looker after all it is a great looking bike and although i shouldn't say it - i will brobably buy another c5.......number 3  and 3rd time lucky ???

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 02:58:57 am
Wildbill, I won't have the first bike in my country (USA).  I will have the first bike from that particular dealership.  Since there are only two dealership in my state (Colorado) and this one is the bigger of the two, it will probably be one of the first ones to come to this state.   

I am a bit anal when it comes to my toys, I keep them for a  long time, and as clean and sparklely as possible; therefore, a potential of a scratch worries me so I want to take whatever action to mitigate/lessen that possibility.  Nevertheless, I still want to drive/ride them and enjoy them as much as possible.  And if a scratch should happen then so be it; however, I had better take the right precautions before.

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 06:19:46 am
The riding position is pretty forgiving I'd say. I haven't ridden it but sat on it and it felt okay. Yes, if someone has extra girth around the waist, they can simply rest it on the tank wearing appropriate clothing :P

Here's a pic off the net showing the not so aggressive riding posture:
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 07:22:00 am
Maybe this person is relatively tall. I'm 5'8" and I definetely tended to lean forward.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:29 am
in that case sorry - i mis-understood. anyway more importantly come next year we will be riding one ;) been without a bike now for about 2 months...days get boring!