Author Topic: Non standard tyres for C5 UCE 18" rims  (Read 1991 times)

spooka

• Scooter
on: December 19, 2013, 09:56:04 pm
Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. Hoping to get some wisdom off you guys if I can!

I'm currently in Senegal with my C5 on a round the world trip. So far we've done very well since starting out in England (I'm Australian...) but now it's time to change the tyres as the rear is heavily worn.

Trouble is that in Senegal finding the perfect on-spec tyres for replacements has been tricky. Specifically, the tyres I've been looking for are front: 90/90 18 and rear 110/80 18, as per the user manual. Sad to say that I don't think that these exist here in Dakar and I'm sure most of West Africa as well for that matter. There are, however, many 18" options to choose from, but, due to my inexperience, I'm unsure if these off-spec tyres will fit on the rims (and stay there!)

So, my questions are: how strictly should you abide by the manufacturers recommendations for tyre width and height and what are the consequences of going outside the box? What are the limits specifically for the C5 with 18" rims? Also, is there possibly a "go between" size that will fit on both the front and rear wheels? That would halve the number of spares I have to carry!

Thanks for any assistance you can offer and apologies if this question isn't new, I couldn't find a thread that discussed what the limits are for sizes, only which size was best!

Cheers,
Spook

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:59 pm
People have used other 18" tires with success.  If you go much wider than the stock spec you'll start rubbing the forks or swingarm.  You can mount a slightly narrower tire on the rear with no ill effects.  If you don't see tires available with then newer three number sizes (110 80 18) you can get the older style.  I think the front would be 18x3.25 and the rear would be 18x3.5 or 18x4.  I think Kenda makes a copy of the Dunlo K70 in these sizes.

The stock tires are low profile.  Almost any other tire will be taller.  Technically this can make the C5 less stable, but in practice I don't think anyone has had a problem.  If there bike was stable on the stock tires it was fine with the new ones.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:44 pm
Welcome to the forum.

You didn't say what sizes are available but if they were of the old inch system a 3.25 X 18 front and a 3.50 X 18 rear should fit nicely.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:22:05 pm
110 90 x 18 works also. That's about the same as 350 x 18.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:55:10 pm
You can run 3.50-18s on both ends without problems, but the front ones may be a bit tight. 3.25s on both would work, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 11:37:54 pm
Are you posting your progress anywhere on the web? Have a great trip.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:29:53 am
Are you posting your progress anywhere on the web?

What he said!!!

digstuffup

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 03:57:27 am
iv got big knobby duelsports on my c5 ok. 3.5x18 front and 4.1x18 rear, but I’ve modified the front fender slightly to avoid rubbing.

+1 on the trip updates  :D
2010 C5 military
I am dyslexic, pleas excuse any spelling errors.

spooka

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 06:30:38 pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the lightning quick replies and great information!

Update from here in Dakar: I managed to find a legitimate tyre retailer that has the standard size for the rear tyre (110/80-18) in an on/offroad hybrid style. Bonus! So I'll be buying two and immediately replacing the cactus rear tyre and saving the other one for either a blowout or when one of the two wears out. Hopefully I'll be able to shoehorn this size into the front if necessary. Has anyone had any experience in doing this? Also, does anyone know what a road front tyre and an offroad rear tyre combination does to handling, if anything?

As for trip updates, I'm not one for blogging or anything like that, so unfortunately there's nowhere I can point you to for what I've been up to. But I'll say it here that the Enfield has been perfect for the overlanding trip. Not once have I regretted it as my choice of transport, it's been brilliant! 18,000km down and hopefully many more to come!!

Thanks again for the information, it really is appreciated!

Cheers,
Spook

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 06:40:27 pm
I tried to get a 19X4.1 onto a G5.  It fit but was too close to the fender for comfort, even after we nudged it to the side a bit with a hammer.  I'd recommend you get something a tad smaller for the front.

I'd also recommend you get a similar tire for the front now anyway.  You don't want more traction from the rear than you have in the front on a dirt road, the front will wash out.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:37:50 pm
Yes, please do. You don't want to specialize in low slides.  :o

I would be so interested in a ride report. Any plans in that direction?  :)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt