Author Topic: Bad engine noise from C5  (Read 9933 times)

iron.head

• Scooter
on: November 28, 2013, 02:33:28 pm
Hi everyone

Lately a few noises from my bike's engine have increased a bit and causing me the trouble of looking into them.

I have been replacing oil every 3k and giving a 20-25 sec warm-up time to the bike every time when I ride it after a few hours of standing.

I think that the sound is coming from the head of my bike but am not so sure about it.

Can the gearheads here please help me by pointing towards the source of the noise if possible so that I can have some information about it before taking it to the local RE workshop mechanic.

Audio files are available here:

https://soundcloud.com/achint-agarwal/voice-002

https://soundcloud.com/achint-agarwal/voice-001

Thanks!
Aditya

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:48:22 pm
Are you referring to those little clicking noises which sound like the valve clatter in an Iron Barrel engine?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

iron.head

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:54:24 pm
yes! This clicking noise was not there few months back and is quite loud now. Also the frequency of this noise increases and decreases with the amount of throttle use. There is another noise which might not be easily audible in this recording. It is like some rolling parts are rubbing with each other and creating noise. I have been listening to engine noise and both the noises seem bad and were not there few months back.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:02:50 pm
How hard do you ride?  Have you ever pinned it at redline?  It's hard saying from the sound clip but to me it kind of sounds like a little bit of rod knock.  Are you sure the noise is coming from the "head" of the motor and not from the "case" of the motor?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 03:07:06 pm
Well, it's hard to diagnose these things from sound bites, but it sounds to me like the lifters might be having a problem. This could also be caused by oil supply problems to the lifters, because they need good oil pressure to work properly.

If it is an oil supply problem, then it might also be affecting the bearings or other moving parts, and might be a cause of that other noise you are hearing. The other noise might be a rod knock, as Scottie J points out, but I can't really say for sure.

I think it should be looked at by a qualified RE mechanic, since it might be covered under warranty.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:19:02 pm
Yeah I hear it for sure with headphones on. I don't have a C5 but I wouldn't think it should sound like that.....How many miles on the bike?  It really does sound rough like something banging while at idle and then louder and it follows the throttle ( audio 2)..I'm more concern about that vice the valve clatter...Check for  the obvious stuff like is the engine and exhaust secure, etc...Is it still under warranty? 
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 03:19:49 pm
That's a great point Ace.  If something has failed in the oiling system it could cause noises from several places inside the motor.  Has the performance of the bike been affected at all?  If there is in fact an oiling problem it should be causing a lot more moving friction inside the motor causing it to lose HP and the ability to rev freely.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

iron.head

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 03:26:31 pm
Thanks everyone for the replies. My daily ride is very sedate and once in 3-4 weeks I ride on the highways with full throttle use maxing at 110-115 kmph. I have tried to observe this noise few times and it always seems to be coming from the head of the bike.

Oil level has always been around the max mark on the oil window but how do I ensure that there are no oil supply problems? The RE mechanics here sadly don't know much about UCE breed of enfields and can replace parts with some guidance.

One of my friends told me that the rolling noise is from the cams/cam sleeves. I will take my bike to RE workshop next week and get back with the results.

Also to add that the performance of the bike is as crisp as it was on day 1 and the acceleration is very good. No oil consumption and FE is also good. Also the noise from the engine does not increase after hard riding other than these 2 noises which are always there even when riding slow and sedate. The bike will be considered under warranty and has completed 11000 kms.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:28:39 pm by iron.head »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 03:38:50 pm
If it was my machine, I wouldn't be driving it until I resolved the problem. A oil supply problem should be relatively easy to diagnose, Its that awful knocking that would concern me... :-\
Oh Magoo you done it again

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 03:54:45 pm
There have been 2 verified oil supply issues which might happen in UCE engines.
One is the partial blockage of an oil feed hole at the junction of the engine case and timing side cover, near the top. This blockage reportedly was cause by some RTV silicone getting where it should not have been.
The other condition is caused by some O-ring that can be done wrong during a routine maintenance process. I forget exactly what the O-ring is, but I'm sure that some of the UCE owners here will know what it is.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 04:10:47 pm
How many miles on the bike?

Scott

iron.head

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 04:33:36 pm
I will get it checked if there is any blockage where ace is telling or if some O-ring is stuck somewhere. Bike has done around 6800 miles.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 04:53:24 pm
I haven't listened to the sounds yet, but I'm curious to see if it sounds like mine.

I think I just read a thread where somebody was complaining about engine noise which could have been evidence of an oil flow problem?  They changed the oil and filter and the noises went away...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 05:04:43 pm
Hi everyone

Lately a few noises from my bike's engine have increased a bit and causing me the trouble of looking into them.

I have been replacing oil every 3k and giving a 20-25 sec warm-up time to the bike every time when I ride it after a few hours of standing.

I think that the sound is coming from the head of my bike but am not so sure about it.

Can the gearheads here please help me by pointing towards the source of the noise if possible so that I can have some information about it before taking it to the local RE workshop mechanic.

Audio files are available here:

https://soundcloud.com/achint-agarwal/voice-002

https://soundcloud.com/achint-agarwal/voice-001

Thanks!
Aditya

It DOES sound like a lifter/rod tapping away...... I was thinking that your idle was low, which MAY effect oil pressure and how fast the lifter's fill on a cold start.  But ... the noise doesn't go away as you rev the bike. Bad Lifter ?.... Oil supply ?.... a hung up auto-decomp and the roller lifter is jumping over the pin on the exhaust cam base circle ?.......
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:08:49 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 05:55:08 pm
The #1 file had what sounded like piston clatter at first. Was the engine warm, or just started up? Later on the clank was gone as if the engine had warmed up enough to get the clearances right.
If that is the case, I wouldn't worry too much about it as it sounded fine after it had run awhile. These engines are noisy. If it bothers you, get some good earplugs!
#2 sounded fine all the way through.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com