Author Topic: Hella Bar End Signals  (Read 6498 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
on: December 03, 2013, 05:11:48 pm
SO, INTERESTED IN BAR END DIRECTIONALS? In answer to a couple of enquiry's: Old BMW's offered Hella Bar End Signals as an option, but they were used on other makes, & may have been the very first commercially sold Motorcycle Directional Signals.
   There are mostly reproductions available today, the most common being Chrome Plated Zink repros. Original Hellas were polished aluminum & I think they look better than the Chrome. There are lots of them On Ebay in the $30. a pair range. Original Hellas are Over $100. I bought my Faithfull Aluminum Repros From Danny @BLUEMOON SCOOTER in VIET NAM. Mine have longer stalks than the originals.
  These lights basically attach similar to bar end mirrors. Mine have gusseted hollow stalks with a conical interior threaded nut/plug that tightens via a clever hollow Allen Head screw through which the thin wire is run. there is an outside threaded plug on the light that allows tool access. Most of these lights are similar although some have a slight differences. They use FESTOON type bulbs.
The single positive wires run through the handle bars the ground is made through the light body, handle bar/frame contact.  BMW bars had oval holes in the bar center into which the wires fed. My Handle Bars are the lowest European style SUPERBIKE brand 7/8" Bars. Original bars could be used, but they made my wrists turn outward in an uncomfortable angle. Because of the Enfield Bar mounting system, It was necessary to drill 2 holes on the bottom of the bars to either side of the mounting area for the wires. It was also necessary to lengthen the front directional wires to reach the signal wires. When installing the bars, I first feed a generous length of single strand of tie wire from each hole outward to the bar ends as a Guide Wire. I had difficulty getting the bars shimmed tightly so I drilled & tapped a hole & put a permanent chrome bolt centered in the middle of the clamp.  After mounting the bars securely, I wound the Signals wires onto the ends of the Guide Wires & pulled them through the holes & attached them via male & female Lucas Bullet style plugs to the existing signal wires. The Rear Signals were also removed (I sold all 4 signals on Ebay) These Signals Flash brightly & are Most visible from the front. They can be seen from the rear - but there are times when viewed from one side at the rear when the riders body blocks one or the other side. I am conscious of this & use hand signals in this situation. On the whole I like these ALOT & they are LEGAL everywhere. Photos below.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:18:15 pm
Thanks for all the info Craig.  They do look really elegant, though I'm guessing I can't put them on the stock bars.  Well, maybe if I drill and tap the ends to a larger size.  Still, worth looking at another set of bars.  Though I would probably also lose my bar end weights.

For your rear turn signals, Lockhart Phillips makes some really nice little button lights that can be used as bolts to hold the plate on.  Very small and unobtrusive.  Might be a nice addition to make sure you're a little more visible.
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/DOT-LED/
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LICENSE-PLATE-TURN-SIGNALS/

Scott
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:20:23 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:32 pm
Hi Scott, The Lights Themselves act as weights, more so with the heavier chrome plated zinc (potmetal) ones. My Bars do not have much vibration at all.
  The original R.E. bars really bothered my Wrist joints, They felt like I was holding hedge shears, & were higher than the bars the Original British home versions came with back in the day.  Drag Bars work pretty well also. I sold my OEM Bars & weights on Ebay, with the cheesy black Napolean knockoff Mirrors.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure