Author Topic: Oh-Oh Am I In Trouble?  (Read 2169 times)

TomJohnston

• Scooter
on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:05 am
Okay ! Break it to me gently guys/Gals!! I just took delivery on my 2014 C5. Nice ! However, now I find the Enfields Forum and am inundated by horror stories of riders stranded all over the world because their RE's have died a premature electrical death. I've been riding for 44 years, mostly old BMW's and this was supposed to be my first NEW bike since 1981 and hopefully a minimum of worries. Can I hope that the  new factory and "evolution" of the bike means I'll be okay or are the problems you find  carried over to the newer models as well ???  I know the ride will be great but am I going to regret this move?? When you mention problems, I don't see a lot of reference to the year of the bike involved !

sven trials

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:12:47 am
I bought a used C5 and was concerned about the stories also.  I did a once over of the electrical and decided to replace the positive on the battery cable and a battery replacement.   All else looked fine. Do a check yourself for it sounds like you have enough time on a bike to know where problems can occur. BTW my bike is a 2009 with about 4k miles.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:15:40 am
Welcome! Your C5 questions can get their best attention in the UCE section of the forum. 

To settle your concerns, keep in mind that people often  go to a forum when they're having issues. Therefore the forums will more often have stories of break downs and getting stranded and are looking for help.

It's good to learn about potential issues, but spend some time in the sections of the forum where owners are enjoying their rides and customizing their bikes.

Congrats on the bike, and that's a great wife you got there...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54:09 pm
+1  ::)

There are a handful of us that are regulars to the forum here whether we have problems or not.  But as stated, probably 50-70% of the members here only come on and post when they have a problem.  And I have a feeling that most of those people aren't getting much help from their dealer or have run out of warranty.  Just an example, there 2 RE dealers here in the Denver Metro area, both of which sell a fair number of REs.  There are only 4 of us from Colorado on this forum, 1 no longer owns a RE and I own a vintage twin, so we don't even fall into this category.  I hope this eases your worries a bit.  Happy Riding!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:48:28 pm
Redcat has 13000 mi. on his 2002. Computerless has 5 or 6 thousand on his 2006.I've got 5 thousand on a 2004. Never a problem. With the new bikes the I don't think you'll have much of a problem.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:34:39 pm
I feel that there are some troublesome wiring things that do pop up in some of the bikes from time to time. They are not perfect in this regard.
I don't think it is a real big problem. If you can clean connections, and can find a basic fault like a short or a broken wire or loose connector, then you should be okay. You may never have a problem,  but then again,  you might.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:28:36 pm
Ace is correct. Common sense is your friend. Have a good look at the wiring around the engine and i suggest applying dielectric grease to everything you can. Pay special attention to wiring that looks too tight around anything that can chaffe. You will find plenty to do! This and loose fastener checks and you will be good to go.
Congrat's. Roverman.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:26:36 am
You could always just ride more and worry less, take the negative things you read or hear with a grain of salt......and post about the great rides, the attention, and the enjoyment you get from owning the bike. (and know that if you do have issues you will be in good hands here)
I think most new to Enfields, or any niche or "special" bike tend to spend too much time "looking at or for" all the negatives and not the positives. That's to be expected by anyone to certain degrees, myself included. It's better to know a little. Some have concerns that too often focus on "what if" and things complicated vs. keeping it simple, and being simply educated on what it is they are getting themselves in to, and doing what it takes to ensure a positive experience. Not always going to happen or even apply to you, just a thought :)

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 03:47:56 am
You could make a study of the bike through the forums and the manuals so that you will have a better chance of dealing with whatever comes up.Arm yourself with knowledge.And,we do not all have problems on any sort of regular basis,in fact.
Good luck.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:13 am
Like the others said, most of the people who post here are the ones that are having a problem.

Only a few of us weirdo's who have few if any problems are regular posters. :)

When I bought my 2011 G5, I gave it a through going over and I did notice that some of the wiring is poorly protected from some sharp metal edges. 
I corrected the potential problem and wrote this post about it.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11088.0.html

All in all I think I can safely say my Royal Enfield has given me fewer problems than my brand new BMW K-75 did back in 1988,  and it was a very dependable bike. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 06:37:47 pm
What you get on the forum are things that can go wrong, but it isn't exactly showing probabilities. Most of the problems are quite rare. The forum just offers you a place to look shoudl you ever have a problem which is, in reality, is pretty unlikely! Just ride it a and take care of it as recommended and you should have no problems. The only problems I had with mine were generally self induced. I did lose a sprag clutch. But the my kick starter still worked at least if it wasn't cold. I was down a short time that would've been shorter if it hadn't happened at christmas time because with people on vacation, etc. Even sprag clutches have improved since mine was new, so probably one less problem to worry about.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 08:57:50 pm
The forum just offers you a place to look shoudl you ever have a problem which is, in reality, is pretty unlikely! Just ride it a and take care of it as recommended and you should have no problems.

So true and then u get to read how guys are cranking it up a notch too..I really like my Enfield...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again