Author Topic: Another Querying Thread  (Read 4093 times)

Tromper

• Neophyte
on: November 24, 2013, 07:43:41 pm
Howdy folks,
Sold my old mega scoot, & am looking for something a bit more retro.
I've been eying up the Enfield's for some time, & am trying to break down a few things I find addressed obliquely in the forums, but not directly.
Of the three U.S. models
C5 - How twitchy is this compared to the others.  I'm kinda lazy so am more inclined to slow turning vs. twitchy.
B5 - I've read that it's basically a G5 with some spots you can strap stuff to?  Any other differences?
G5/Electra - The fork's being changed?  Anyone have any data on how that's affected handling?
In General
Differences between models - Cosmetics are not something I'm too worried about, there are no ugly RE's/, but one to one comparisons on the differences of fit, handling, & miscellaneous between models would be very nifty.  (Strictly UCE please)
Freeway Speeds - around here 65mphish (104kph) does the trick.  Is there enough oomph left at that speed to get out of the way with a spurt of speed, or is that pretty much where it's accelerating slow?
Competition - At least one person rider has made some direct comparisons to the Tu250X from direct experience.  If someone would elaborate on any differences between handling, & vibration on this at speed, how they compare at 50-65 mph, and anything else you can think of?
Thanks All

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:28 pm
I have a 2013 C5 with around about 5000km on the clock.  It is becoming progressively smoother and comfortable with higher speed cruising.  I can gallop to 110 kph without any feeling of stress.  I have hunted it along at 120kph for a few minutes at a time then settled back to 110 where it seems to be happy to blast away for extended periods.  At those speeds it is quite stable.  I have never felt any concern about it being twitchy.  During break in though I would advise a more relaxed and leisurely approach.

Das

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:59:27 pm
All are technically identical.
C5 (and the military's) have 18" wheels. Latest models have a 19" front.
B-E-G5 have 19" wheels.
Differences are mostly cosmetic. C5's refer to the original; G/E5 to the later electra and B5 to both.

There is no oumph from 104 kph. It will climb out to 132 kph but it will not dash like a prancing pony. You ride it like you'd play chess, at least several moves ahead.
 :D

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:34 pm
The B5 uses the original 350 frame, so is the closest to the original.
The early C5's did have a reputation for twitchiness. Same people had a problem some didn't. The new fork and 19" wheel has cured the problem on the C5.
The G5 was not involved by the change was basically an Electra from which is different from the other two. The C5 frame was developed for the UCE engine. The G5 was actually introduced with the UCE engine first. The G5 certainly wouldn't be classified as slow steering, but isn't as quick as the original C5. At least the steering is very light.
As far as cruising speeds go, the engines and gearing are essentially the same at the rear wheel. The 18" vs 19" gearing differences are taken up by a 18T sprocket for the C5s and G5s and a 17T sprocket for the 19" wheel. A lot of guys go up one tooth on either model to move the vibration level to a higher speed range. As the bike is broken after a 1000 miles or so, the vibration level drops considerably. They are quite comfortable. 
I liked to cruise at 60-65 (18T sprocket), but on many occasions, did go up to 70 or so for a few miles. The mileage starts to drop off quite a bit after 65, and I didn't like use up the  gas! They will maintain 70 for a hundred miles, though. After about 70 the acceleration drops off and you ain't gonna to try to pass a semi on a busy two lane road! However in flat country, they are adequate, you may have to change your riding paradigm a bit, especially if your coming off Superbikes.
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:24:43 am
B5 is the best of the lot.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:45:57 am
easy answer here as ive had 3 uce - 2 c5's and a b5

1. c5 is the best looking bike.

2.  b5 is the better riding bike. found the c5 a very hard ride.

so do you want a looker or a goer  :D

what if i was buying a bike again?

c5  looks good and was a lot easier bike to sell! i'd say my next bike after the cafe racer will again be a c5

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:20:05 pm
Bare hit the nail on the head. Rocinante (my C5) performs nicely - is a fun and fast ride (for a long stroke single). My commute is mostly freeway and Rocinante (with 2850 mi on the odometer) is a joy to ride. She' hold 70 forever, and will climb to 75 over a long run.

i.candide
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 03:44:41 pm
All are technically identical.
C5 (and the military's) have 18" wheels. Latest models have a 19" front.
B-E-G5 have 19" wheels.
Differences are mostly cosmetic. C5's refer to the original; G/E5 to the later electra and B5 to both.

There is no oumph from 104 kph. It will climb out to 132 kph but it will not dash like a prancing pony. You ride it like you'd play chess, at least several moves ahead.
 :D

There have been repeated claims that the new models come with a 19" front wheel, but the information provided from our host would dispute that.  There are 19" wheels standard in India domestic models, but the export models all come with 18 inchers.  There is, of course, the 19" wheel conversion kit.

If this has changed, can anyone point out when and according to whom?
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:47:26 pm
C5s have had 19 inch front Wheels in the US since 2012.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:23:01 pm
There have been repeated claims that the new models come with a 19" front wheel, but the information provided from our host would dispute that.

+1 I've seen them at the shops. When the forks were changed on the C5s, so were the wheels
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:33:33 pm
C5s have had 19 inch front Wheels in the US since 2012.

The change in wheel size on the C5 is/was more of a phase in as opposed to an abrupt change from the buyers perspective.  Depending on when and where you were the "so called" 2012 C5 may or may not have had 19" front wheels with the new forks. Mine has the 19" front wheels but most of the bikes on the floor at that time had 18" wheels.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:15:52 pm by bluesdaddy2 »
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 05:41:05 pm
My 2014 C5 has a 19" front wheel and an 18" rear wheel.
I had to go physically check myself a short time after getting it. The specs on our hosts website say an 18" wheel; but another thread on the forum spoke of the 19" front. A stroll to the garage confirmed mine has a 19" front.
I thoroughly enjoy my C5.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 06:14:27 pm
where you were the "so called" 2012 C5 may or may not have had 19" wheels with the new forks.

The C5 bikes with the new forks and front wheels were called the 2012 C5 Special, I think, or some such nomenclature. It was a midyear change. All 2012 C5s did not have the new forks and wheel. The earlier ones had the standard leading link fork and 18" wheel. C5s all had 18" rear wheels.
Bare
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:16:37 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:20:12 pm
FWIW: The GT is the cheapest of em all right now, has a little more juice(extra displacement and different cams), is probably the lightest and certainly is retro looking. You could easily replace handlebars of your choosing to adjust the riding posture.

This one: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-GT.html

Tromper

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:39 pm
Thanks, that's all great info.
Was there a fork change for the G5 in 2014 as well?
And if possible can someone weigh directly in vs. the TU250.  I suspect the TU is going to be a bit slower, but it does have the advantage of more common parts in this neck of the woods.

i.candide - "Rocinante"..Nice, but watch out for windmills 8).

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 09:16:26 pm
I'm pretty sure I am further from "parts" then you . If you have a mail box its not an issue.

You are trying to compare apples with oranges.

The TU 250 has been compared to a SYM Wolf 150 (Honda CB 125 clone).http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/17/13104/Motorcycle-Article/2012-SYM-Wolf-Classic-150-Review.aspx.

All good choices for small cc motorcycle, but all different.
While your at it, you might as well look at a Honda Rebel.

I'm sticking with my RE.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 11:57:39 am
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 12:08:23 pm
I would have to say this...and only from my experience on my '09 G5...get K70 on DELIVERY, and ride in confidence. This bike has no surprises, pulls well at anything under 65mph, has the long seating for just in case you have a passenger,  handles like a rock with the K70's. Get saddle bag rails, and get a couple army backpacks and strap them to em...

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 12:34:33 pm
Thanks, that's all great info.
Was there a fork change for the G5 in 2014 as well?
And if possible can someone weigh directly in vs. the TU250.  I suspect the TU is going to be a bit slower, but it does have the advantage of more common parts in this neck of the woods.

i.candide - "Rocinante"..Nice, but watch out for windmills 8).

I have a C5 and a TU250. The TU is fine if you are below 5' 8" and is a highly refined mini-RE, but it will never attract any crowds like the RE. Aftermarket parts for the TU are also harder to find than RE parts and 2-3X more expensive. My TU is a starter bike for the wife and is probably the best handling bike available. It can make a nice little cafe racer, but there is no way it would ever replace my C5! Top speed is the same for both.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:01:23 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 01:18:29 pm
As an older Iron Barrel Bullet owner, I will chime in on behalf of the new UCE.

The thing with Bullets is that they are different than other bikes which might be seen as "competition" in the way the power is delivered. The Bullet delivers its power at lower rpm with high torque, so that you get the power right off of idle, and it climbs from there. You don't have a weak lower rpm area which you need to get past before the real power starts to come on, like the higher revving bikes do.

So, the "feel" is very different. This is one of the most attractive aspects of the Bullet.

I would say you have to ride one before you can decide.
Once you do, then you'll understand what it's all about. It feels much more powerful than the numbers would indicate it is. It's not a high-revver, but it is a low rpm puller, and that is a very enjoyable attribute.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

abstruse1

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 02:55:17 pm
Regarding the response recommending the Continental, has anyone in the US actually taken delivery of one yet?

I've put down a deposit at the local (Ft. Worth) dealer.
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 06:01:13 pm
The Cafe Racer isn't supposed to be here until January. Or so I've heard.
As for the Tu-250 vs the RE performancewise, The Suzuki rider will have to flog the hell out of his/her bike to keep up with a sportily ridden RE. Cubic Inches still count!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 06:53:44 pm
The Cafe Racer isn't supposed to be here until January. Or so I've heard.
As for the Tu-250 vs the RE performancewise, The Suzuki rider will have to flog the hell out of his/her bike to keep up with a sportily ridden RE. Cubic Inches still count!
Bare

There are a few on sale on ebay, probably the demos.