Author Topic: EPA votes down E15  (Read 12406 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:48 am
I am not sure that it is a pause in the debate because here to now it's not a debate. It is a monologue from the government
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:24 am
I am not sure that it is a pause in the debate because here to now it's not a debate. It is a monologue from the government

I wouldn't say "it's the government" - I'd say it's a monologue from Cargill, Monsanto, Archer-Daniels-Midland and Bayer Crop Science. Those companies all but OWN the government - or at least the elected officials who can hoodwink the lesser educated public to vote for them. They buy their way into office on promises forgotten after the election.

Alky fuels make sense - they are cheap, renewable and make good engine power as well as a LOT less pollution. What doesn't make sense is using food crops to make the fuel. Alky fuels could be cooked right out of the waste stream of this country - or from nuisance weeds and plants that are mowed down along every stretch of road across the country - or from common lawn waste ...... but there are no obscene profits or markets to be cornered by doing that. It was Henry Ford's idea that all of his cars would run on alcohol fuels. It could be made at home, from basically trash - and the cars were tuned and built to run on it and make good power. Of course Big Oil "convinced" him that petro fuels would be SO much better (if he ever wanted to sell another Model T) - so here we are a hundred years later, STILL fighting "the money" to do the right thing ..... Go figger .......

Renewable fuels ARE the future of the piston engine as we know it. We already know that bio-diesel has a higher cetane rating than petro-diesel, is less toxic and has less tailpipe emissions and can be made nicely from hemp seed oils and switch grass - neither of which is a potential food source - yet we cling to petro fuels, hoping that somehow they'll be cheaper and not run out in our lifetime. Same goes for gasoline. Of course newer vehicles would have to be built to accommodate alky fuels - and petro fuels would still be in demand for years to come for older vehicles, but the cycle must be broken before ALL the petro fuels are gone - or $50 a gallon. The solution is simple and straightforward - and has little to do with the government. It has everything to do with using the resources that we have wisely and not succumbing to the influence of those who put profits ahead of common sense.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:29:07 pm by ScooterBob »
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 02:18:56 pm
We may be splitting hairs over the use of language. I agree with you 100% especially about using food stocks and the money involved. I say it comes from the govt. because they are the ones writing the laws, regulations etc. To be sure the push (and money) comes from ADM etc. Without their money given to the politicians there would be no laws about this.

Are we still using mandatory bio-diesel in MN? I believe that push came from the Soy-Bean lobby. There were some initial problems that I believe got ironed out. Assuming it is still mandatory it runs fine in my truck even when it is -30.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:48 am
Wow, another thread gone sour with jaded opinions......

Accept that market forces alone would be chaotic and inhibit the development of our national transportation system.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 01:10:04 pm
Wow, another thread gone sour with jaded opinions......

Accept that market forces alone would be chaotic and inhibit the development of our national transportation system.

Blame it on the Government and Big Oil.  It's all their fault anyways.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 08:20:02 pm
[/quotea
a polite(politic) way to say "dictating" how it shall be?]
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
Since everyone is voicing frustration over the Ironic  contradiction in terms when discussing the "Department of Energy", many other related departments are equally LAME.
  Were you aware of what would happen if there were an Electro-Magnetic Pulse event (big sunspot, nuclear attack, grid sabotage)??  Apparently our Department Of Energy & Homeland Security have done little to NOTHING to address this possible scenario. Without Electricity you couldn't buy Food, Gasoline or ANYTHING. No one thought to require the ability to manually pump gas, or mechanically add up figures for cash buying. Our moronic protectors haven't even put out a memo telling merchants to have a plan B ready, to avoid being looted.
  Us ex-Boy Scouts believe in "being Prepared", to bad the guys making the big bucks in Washington are to busy selling us down the river to be properly concerned.
                                     JUST MY HUMBLE 2 CENTS,  Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:23 pm
I don't know about you Boy Scout, but, I've got a hardened, class 4, command center buried in my yard.  I'm ready for "the end times".
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 07:43:36 pm
In the movies they just shoot the neighbors and take what they've got.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 08:03:02 pm
Gremlin - that's awesome!  Who will you be commanding when Mad Max comes knocking on the hatch?

I can think of a few ways of getting gas out of the underground tanks in a pinch, none of which require electricity - I'm sure my local gas merchants will manage without the government telling them to.  As long as the supply holds out, anyway...  ;)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 10:09:20 pm
........Who will you be commanding when Mad Max comes knocking on the hatch?.........

Knowing my luck the knock will be from some a** in a suburban come to drag me back to work....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 02:35:40 am
Oh, and here's a better corn related thing that we have here in town from the seed corn industry that you may not have seen before. Those piles are corn cobs.

Send 'em here! I use ground-up corn cobs as polishing media in my brass tumblers on my reloading bench.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:13 am
Send 'em here! I use ground-up corn cobs as polishing media in my brass tumblers on my reloading bench.

Me too! 
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 06:51:20 am

Walnut shells work dandee as well ...... and it seems like those darn things NEVER wear out!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 01:38:01 am
I don't know about you Boy Scout, but, I've got a hardened, class 4, command center buried in my yard.  I'm ready for "the end times".

Or a  superstorm..... Or even a Zombie apocalypse !  This might beat fighting in gas lines for two weeks without electricity, so you can get heat to the house.  NOT fun .  Of course, you might be fighting in line with the Beavers ?!  But..... Ummmmmmm....... Winter project ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6e3CprVTi8

http://www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emergency_gassifer.pdf
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.