Author Topic: Oi filter o-rings  (Read 1323 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: December 12, 2013, 10:52:58 pm
Seeing an oil change thread bump reminded me of this.

My parts diagram shows 2 rubber o-rings which seat against the oil filter - one on each end.  My bike came from the dealer with only the one that seats the inside of the filter... the one that goes between the filter cover and the filter (#19) wasn't installed:

When I took it to a "dealer" for its first oil change, he had no filters or o-rings or gaskets of any kind.  I happened to bring a filter I got from my purchasing dealer, so the filter got changed and all the o-rings got reused - which means still no o-ring between the cap and filter.  Then I ordered the 5-change oil kit from CMW, and they didn't have all the o-rings, so my first home oil change also saw no o-ring.

By the time I was ready for my second home oil change, I had the o-rings, so I installed one and found it a challenge to get it to remain aligned between the filter and the cover's pressure plate (my 2011 model came with the modified cover whose components are assembled into a "one-piece" unit).  It was after this oil change that my oil level inconsistencies began.  I took the o-ring back out, but nothing changed.

What's the deal with this o-ring?  How important is it really?  I notice no difference in engine operating noise or temperature whether it's there or not...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:10 pm
That o-ring keeps the oil flowing though the filter instead of around it, it IS important.  Of course most all filters have a spring release bypass.  If the pressure/volume is greater than the filter can flow it just lets the oil bypass the filter media.  On our REs this is in the cap, on your car filter it's built in inside.

I am similarly frustrated by the frequency with which they seem to forget to pack the large diameter o-ring for the C5 outer cover.  I reused the same one 5 times.  You can go to McMaster Carr online and get just about any o-ring by dimension, reasonably priced with little shipping cost.  I think it's the buna-n material that's good for oil and high temps.  Measure some new O-rings before they go in and then just order 5-10 of what you need.  It will cost a few dollars but you'll never have to face the problem of not having the o-ring you need.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:02:53 am
That o-ring keeps the oil flowing though the filter instead of around it, it IS important.  Of course most all filters have a spring release bypass.  If the pressure/volume is greater than the filter can flow it just lets the oil bypass the filter media.  On our REs this is in the cap, on your car filter it's built in inside.

Scott

+1  Makes sense.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:24:12 am
Oh!  And to hold one in place during assembly a small dab of grease should do it.  Once the oil gets hot it will dissolve into the oil and not harm anything.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:12:12 am
Buna-N, also known as nitrile is rated as very good when used with motor oil and is IMO what the existing packings are made from.

I noticed even my local Ace Hardware store is carrying O-Rings and most of them are Nitrile (Buna-N).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary