Author Topic: Carb on Classic 500 spitting with puffs of grey smoke  (Read 4372 times)

amritc

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:31 am
Hi, thanks for your help. appreciate. details as requested below -

Year 2000 bullet 500cc Indian import
Stock air filter (rectangular box with paper element filter)
Stock exhaust (short bottle type, I think it has a baffle)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 02:31:48 am
Hi, thanks for your help. appreciate. details as requested below -

Year 2000 bullet 500cc Indian import
Stock air filter (rectangular box with paper element filter)
Stock exhaust (short bottle type, I think it has a baffle)

Okay, well you have kind of a "halfway-there" kind of arrangement with a fairly decent flowing exhaust system, and a very poor-flowing intake system. This isn't the typical arrangement, so I can only give a guesstimation about it, trying to make some sort of adjustment for the plugged up intake.

I think that you should try the 27.5 pilot.
I would also use a 127.5 main.
But the critical part will be a P2 needle jet, which is not a Mikuni jet, but must come from Hitchcock's or NField Gear, or somebody who deals with either of them. Most riding comes on the needle jet, so it is responsible for most of the effects on the riding.
The pilot affects idle, and the main jet affects top speed running, but the needle jet and needle position are mostly controlling the middle throttle positions, so they are critical.

In the meantime, while waiting for the needle jet to arrive, you might try putting the needle all the way up in the richest groove on the needle.
Your current jets are too lean in all aspects.

I would strongly suggest getting rid of that OEM air filter system, and getting something at least halfway decent on there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

amritc

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 03:44:11 am
Thank you Ace. With regards the P2 needle jet, what series should I be looking for?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:00 am
Thank you Ace. With regards the P2 needle jet, what series should I be looking for?
There is only one series of needle jets for the Mikarb 28mm. These Mikarb have needle jets which are not compatible with any Mikuni needle jet series. No Mikuni needle jets can fit it.
So, you must get them from Hitchcock or Nfield Gear.

amritc

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:48 pm
Hi Ace,

I have an online supplier here in Auckland who can supply a P2 but he keeps asking for the series!! He says he has 167 P-2, 159 P-2, 389 P-2 plus another 20 varieties of the P2 needle jet.

When I looked at Hitchcocks and Nfield Gear they only say a P2. The reason I would rather purchase locally is that the shipping cost from our host and Hitchcocks is exorbitant to New Zealand.

Any assistance provided is most gratefully received.
Thanks again.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 09:31:45 pm
Your guy in Auckland is trying to sell you a Mikuni jet.
For the third time, this Mikarb 28mm does NOT take ANY Mikuni needle jets. It takes a proprietary needle jet that comes from Hitchcock or NFIELD Gear or your RE distributor in Taranyi.
Yes, I know that they cost a lot.