Author Topic: ACE Is Assisting With Bulldog Customs Twin - PROJECT ABORTED  (Read 69619 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
And all that clever stuff will be hidden away...  :(

Did Mandello's throw in a free set of plexiglass rocker covers?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
We can't be showing off too much.  The crotch rockets won't want to race me!    ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
We can't be showing off too much.  The crotch rockets won't want to race me!    ;D
I trust we will be fitting 3.50 and 3.25 x 19 Avon SM tyres and comfortable, sensible handlebars with rear view mirrors to this machine in that case?  ;) ;D
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I trust we will be fitting 3.50 and 3.25 x 19 Avon SM tyres and comfortable, sensible handlebars with rear view mirrors to this machine in that case?  ;) ;D
 B.W.

I just figured I could lure in the cocky riders by simply saying "want to race a 60 year old motorcycle?  She left the factory with only 40hp."    ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
The manifolds are 1-3/8" outside diameter.
They needed to be small enough so that the stud spacing would still work with them on there.
The inside diameter is 1.25".
So, the wall thickness is not real thick. Carb supports on the flying ends would be a good idea.

The O.D. of the TM32 hose stub is 40mm. That is just a bit larger than 1-1/2". A 1-1/2" I.D. hose will typically stretch over it, because that's what we usually use.
However, the manifold stubs are 1-3/8" O.D., so there will be a slight mismatch there, and some method of adapting those diameters will be needed. It is likely at a 1-3/8" hose which has a more stretchy nature could be used. Or a short rubber sleeve over the manifold to match to the 1-1/2" hose could work too.

So, the TM32 would be the right carb size for this, and a little creativity for the connector hose will be needed.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Ready to ship!!
 8)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Alright, sounds great!  I'll take care of things on my end and give you a call.  :D  This is awesome!  Feels great to be a part of history.    8)

And Tom.  I just looked at the cam stats for the S Meteor and Connie.  I'm not sure what I have because my bike seems to be a mix of parts and not true to a standard Trailblazer.  But good news is if it has the Connie cams with .344 In and .328 Ex with the new rockers it will be good for .498 and .475.  Even if it has the pouchy S Meteor cams at .312 each they will still be good for .453 which is still quite respectable.  So glad we decided to go with the custom high ratio rollers.   :)

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Alright, sounds great!  I'll take care of things on my end and give you a call.  :D  This is awesome!  Feels great to be a part of history.    8)

And Tom.  I just looked at the cam stats for the S Meteor and Connie.  I'm not sure what I have because my bike seems to be a mix of parts and not true to a standard Trailblazer.  But good news is if it has the Connie cams with .344 In and .328 Ex with the new rockers it will be good for .498 and .475.  Even if it has the pouchy S Meteor cams at .312 each they will still be good for .453 which is still quite respectable.  So glad we decided to go with the custom high ratio rollers.   :)

Scottie J
The smaller cams will just make somewhat less power, but may be more tractable for street use. The rockers do give their ratio to whatever cam you use, so you get some nice flexibility with various cam lobe options available.

Oh, and BTW, these heads actually ARE maxxed out by an Ace performance tuner!
Heh heh ! ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
The smaller cams will just make somewhat less power, but may be more tractable for street use. The rockers do give their ratio to whatever cam you use, so you get some nice flexibility with various cam lobe options available.

Oh, and BTW, these heads actually ARE maxxed out by an Ace performance tuner!
Heh heh ! ;D

Hahaha!    ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
I'm not sure if what we have accomplished here is actually sinking in yet around the Enfield Twin world.
It's posted on 3 different Enfield forums, and not a peep from anybody about it yet.
Strange.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I was thinking the same thing.......    :-\

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
I for one am following this!  I can't wait to see (via Scotty's videos of course!) that beautiful piece of work in action!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I for one am following this!  I can't wait to see (via Scotty's videos of course!) that beautiful piece of work in action!

Thanks Dan!  And you are right, these heads are beautiful.  An absolute work of art to be honest.

But Tom, you're right.  I don't think people realize what we have accomplished.  Perhaps most people here don't understand the technical side of vintage racing enough for to grasp what has been done to these heads.  When Tom and I first started talking almost 2 years ago, my first questions were "How radical can we go?  And how radical has been done?"  To  answer the 2nd question 1st, not that radical.  Some good port and valve jobs, but the maximum lift anyone has achieved before was .352 of lift on the Intake.  I told Ace I wanted the most radical full out race head.  With the help of the new custom high ratio roller rockers, they have the potential of producing .510 OF LIFT!!!  Even with the smallest manufactured twin camshafts, these heads will produce .453, .100 MORE lift than ever achieved before!  And this is compared the BEST winningest bikes in Royal Enfields ENTIRE racing history!

My 700 twin will be putting out the same HP as a Norton 850 Commando...  With the small cams and 8:1 pistons.  And that is with just bolting these heads on as is and doing nothing else.  Once I set the compression and install Interceptor cams, this bike will do 130mph+ without the aid of a supercharger.  With the supercharger, the bike should produce somewhere close to 125hp and estimated top speed is very close to 200mph.  The only other Enfield ever to break 200mph was Don Sliger with his twin engine Interceptor.  And it took him TWO engines to make 203mph.

I've also decided that because these heads are in fact revolutionary, I am going to test these heads in different stages and set ups so that we can see exactly what parts will produce what numbers with these heads.  Every stage of upgrades will then be dyno tested so that all the results are right there on paper.  I am going to dyno my bike as is before any other mods.  Then I am going to install the heads onto the motor without any other mods and dyno again to see the results of a "bolt on" application, then again after installing higher compression pistons and cams, and then again further down the road after I install the supercharger.

So stay tuned because this is just the beginning of history being made. 

Hats off to Tom! :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:05:15 am by High On Octane »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
With having our own project on the go and nearing completion, with Tom's high ratio rockers and valve gear fitted [Big Head Bullet / Fury racer], I am following this thread with interest, both here and on the 'Ace' site - which is the third one, out of interest?
 Anyway, I think you will get plenty of folk looking at the conversations about the project taking shape, but the real impact will come once the machine is up and running, with, perhaps some video footage and so on. I reckon you will get much more 'audience participation' once this stage is reached, but I very much doubt these efforts are being ignored at present.
 I for one will be talking lots about our project and this one, when they are up and running and I bet others will be joining in too  8) 8)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
With having our own project on the go and nearing completion, with Tom's high ratio rockers and valve gear fitted [Big Head Bullet / Fury racer], I am following this thread with interest, both here and on the 'Ace' site - which is the third one, out of interest?
 Anyway, I think you will get plenty of folk looking at the conversations about the project taking shape, but the real impact will come once the machine is up and running, with, perhaps some video footage and so on. I reckon you will get much more 'audience participation' once this stage is reached, but I very much doubt these efforts are being ignored at present.
 I for one will be talking lots about our project and this one, when they are up and running and I bet others will be joining in too  8) 8)
 B.W.

Hi B.W. !
Thanks!

The sites I posted pics on are my Ace Yahoo Group, and the other Royal Enfield Yahoo Group for general Royal Enfield enthusiasts. There are some twin owners on that group, but it seems participation there has dwindled down lately.
But, as you say, I think people are seeing it, even if they aren't responding about it. And once they see it in action, it will probably spur some into action.

I suppose that not everyone can understand all the advantages of this type of upgrade, just by seeing it. I know that you and Scottie and I and some others can understand that, and we can move on things just from that knowledge. But not everyone can, and so some demonstration of the results will be very helpful for them. That will come soon.