Author Topic: ACE Is Assisting With Bulldog Customs Twin - PROJECT ABORTED  (Read 68927 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Tom - I can't remember.  I know you guys can plasma nitride my crank but I can't remember if you said Mondello's can grind the journals and balance it.......     ???   Getting ready to start  making some more serious progress with this build.

Scottie J
They send it out to someone to do it. I don't know who.
Right now is the height of the mad rush for racing season. Everybody is jammed up to the gills with backlogged work right now. Not a good time.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Will early summer work out better?  I'm probably going to be sending the conrods out to R&R this week to have custom steel H-Beam rods machined.  They guy I spoke with said they have a couple of Honda Civics with similar dimension rods that are holding over 300HP per cylinder, so I won't have anything to worry about in that department.  ;)  If you're too booked up for the crank I may look for someone local.  There's a pretty good racing scene here.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Will early summer work out better?  I'm probably going to be sending the conrods out to R&R this week to have custom steel H-Beam rods machined.  They guy I spoke with said they have a couple of Honda Civics with similar dimension rods that are holding over 300HP per cylinder, so I won't have anything to worry about in that department.  ;)  If you're too booked up for the crank I may look for someone local.  There's a pretty good racing scene here.

Scottie J

If you can find somebody who's not booked up, and is good, then go for it.
I don't know anybody who isn't weeks behind schedule right now, and that's not just Mondello. That's everybody.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
The conrod got sent out yesterday to be reproduced by R&R.  They said there is about a 6 week turn around, so hopefully I will have something back by May.  Also, I believe I found a reputable shop for grinding, balancing and plasma nitriding my crank here in Denver.  So as soon as I have the new rods and pistons, I will take the crank to have that done.

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Scotty,
I just wanted to mention that even with the blower, you are going to want to spin as many rpms as you feasibly can.
You need the rpms for hp. The torque increase from the blower can only take you to a certain point. It will increase the force of each stroke, but you need to have a lot of those strokes per minute to make the most hp.
Strive for some good rpms.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I understand.  I've been using 6000 RPMs as a modest reference point knowing that 6000 was the stock redline.  I have a feeling based off of others performance builds I should be able to safely spin 7500 RPMs, maybe even tickle 8000.  I've even been thinking about breaking in the motor without the blower.  Maybe "swap"  ;D the motor into "the other bike" ;D and break it in on the street.  That way I can get a good break in without damaging anything.  It will also give me a good idea of how much power difference there is between the new motor and a mostly stock motor.

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
News today that the custom rockers are moving along. Looking at 1.45 ratio for about .500" lift at the valves.
Possibly seeing completed custom rockers for this in a couple or three weeks, if nothing comes up to intervene.

A nice benefit for you vintage twin owners is that these rockers apparently are used all across the twin model line, so this development can be accessed in the future by any twin owners seeking performance upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I was very excited by this news today.  Even without a supercharger, these 1.45 ratio rockers are going to be hands down the BIGGEST most beneficial engine mod these old twins have ever seen!  :D  At .500 lift the head will flow about 20-30% more air/fuel than the standard .328 can do on their own.  Add the .354 Interceptor "R" cams and you have a vintage pushrod motor to be reckoned with.  This bike is going to be freaking awesome!   ;D

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Scottie,
I got word from Mondello's that your heads are basically finished, except for final assembly.
We are still waiting for the rockers, but the rocker company is communicating, and seems to be on track.

So, they are getting done.
It's not just sitting around, in case you were wondering.
 :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Cool!  Sounds good!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I just had a thought Tom.  I'm still a ways away from having the Bonneville motor/bike built, but the Blackhawk still wants to run like a raped ape and I was already thinking about putting the it on a dyno anyways.  I should go run it the way it is set up now, and then install the new heads and the twin carb set up and go tune it on the dyno again.  This will give us a better idea of what the work has actually done over stock form before slamming the supercharger on there.

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Okay.
That will work fine.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Pics!!!
 ;D

Please view in the attachments.
#1) Chamber with thermal barrier coatings, high performance valve seats, custom made valve guides, Ace/Mondello valve job, view of port bowls.

#2) Chamber view of head, also showing the custom valves, beehive springs, valve stem seals.

#3) Intake port view from port entry end.

#4) Exhaust port view from header exit end,  also showing ceramic coating
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:56:02 pm by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Hot Dang!!!  SexxxxxxY!!!  I spoke with the dealership with the dyno today.  Going to try and get the bike in there the first week of June for 3 baseline runs.   :D

Looking really really good Tom, can't wait to see the finished product!

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Tom - I can't remember if I asked this before or not, and I'm too tired and lazy to look back.   :D  For the Blackhawk, what size TMs should I run, 32's or 34's?    ???