Author Topic: ACE Is Assisting With Bulldog Customs Twin - PROJECT ABORTED  (Read 68954 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
So, after fighting a nasty head cold all week (still not a 100%    >:( ) I finally made a little more progress on the chassis.  After hearing/reading too many different opinions to count "Geometry is more important" "No, areos are more important" No, swing arm location" "No" "No'" "NO"  AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!  I decided to build my own custom solid strut out of pieces of steel that I happened to have laying around and run the bike with a rigid rear end for my initial runs.  Seems like lots of LSR guys have run rigid initially, just one less thing to worry about I guess.  Anyways, I used a 1 1/4" steel pipe with a 5mm wall for the main shaft, modified a piece of 1"x2" 3mm wall steel square tubing for a clevis and a 7/8" Grade 5 bolt for the adjuster.  I'm pretty happy with the results, tho I wish I could get it to go just a hair lower.  If it bothers me enough I'll trim it down and redo it, but I think it will be ok.  Man, I have to admit that not welding/fabbing in about 3 years has got my arse a little rusty.  Ummmm, pun intended.   :)  Doesn't help that my eyes aren't what they used to be either.  Not that my welds are coming out bad or anything, but they definitely aren't as pretty as they used to be.    8)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
BW - Is this the ignition I should be looking into?  I never heard back from Debb @ Rex Caunt Racing so I sent another email this morning asking her to contact me this week.

Racing 4-stroke, 36deg Crank Twin Battery System
http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/misc_products.html

It looks like this system has a CDI box with electronic timing advance.  That would be freaking sweet if this will work for my bike!

Scottie J

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
BW - Is this the ignition I should be looking into?  I never heard back from Debb @ Rex Caunt Racing so I sent another email this morning asking her to contact me this week.

Racing 4-stroke, 36deg Crank Twin Battery System
http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/misc_products.html

It looks like this system has a CDI box with electronic timing advance.  That would be freaking sweet if this will work for my bike!

Scottie J
Hi Scottie, you could run with that system, as long as you don't mind having a battery on board.
 The system I was thinking of is the self generating type, with a small magnetic rotor and stator plate fitted on the end of the crank, in place of the alternator. We have them on our Racing Bullets and there is a wasted spark on a single, so, I reckon if you had a twin spark setup as for a single, but used one lead to each of your twin cylinders, you will have a spark every 360 degrees, firing each cylinder in turn with a single plug and an alternating wasted spark doing no harm on the 'other' TDC's.
 Check this link, it's pretty much what I am describing and should work for you  ;)
 B.W.

http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/ig_triumph.html

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
That Powerarc system is sick!  The sad part is I payed the exact same price got my plain Jane Thorspark!  Just got off the phone with R&R Connecting Rods and they quoted me about $600 for custom steel rods.  The guy said the crank will come apart before the rods break.  Sound good to me!   :D

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I spoke with Glen ??? at Powerarc today and I think I am definitely going to pull the trigger on that ignition.  Holy hell is it awesome!!!  I don't know if anyone has read what the IDS system is capable of, but it is out of this world.  It is by far the most technologically advance ignition system I have ever seen.  It will be an absolute perfect match for the supercharger!

Scottie J

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
For what you are trying to achieve this system will be perfect. Being able to program timing curve, rev limiter, etc., will make it easy to dial it in.

Cool, can't wait to see how it works for you.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
There are so many amazing features about this ignition system, but there is one in particular that really grabs my attention.  You can program up to 3 individually timed sparks, PER CYLINDER, PER COMBUSTION STROKE/CYCLE!!!  Talk about a clean burn system!    ;D  Man, just so many cool features on that little guy.  It is a racers dream come true!  Another cool feature is the programmable red line, that you can set separately from the timing curve.  Meaning you can tell the CDI box "This is how I want my timing curve.   And this is where I want my indicated red line.  Bam!"  But.  BUT, the ignition will allow you to exceed the indicated red line, and then tally and record each time you do exceed red line.  Not to mention the LED static timing indicator.  WHAT?!    :o  It's so bad ass.

Scottie J

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
http://www.c5ignitions.com/motorcycle-ignitions.html

This uses a similar system but pre programs it and provides a complete set of matched components. The best thing about this system is the ability to have multiple maps stored and flick between them with a switch, e.g. launch control with low rpm limiter, the with button push it then changes to normal use. The reason I liked it was that I can have a failsafe map, and use the others for testing and experimenting, I have the programming kit too.
This uses power arc as the base system.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Life is good when you come across something that really blows your hair back.

And talk about blowing back your hair, hear what Elvis has to say about the PowerArc IDS........ http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_32x32.swf?pid=nyrdvbtwyv&as=1
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:44:45 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
http://www.c5ignitions.com/motorcycle-ignitions.html

This uses a similar system but pre programs it and provides a complete set of matched components. The best thing about this system is the ability to have multiple maps stored and flick between them with a switch, e.g. launch control with low rpm limiter, the with button push it then changes to normal use. The reason I liked it was that I can have a failsafe map, and use the others for testing and experimenting, I have the programming kit too.
This uses power arc as the base system.
I'm not sure I get this C5. Looks like it is exactly the same as PA. The C5 install manual shows PA ignition in the photos. What do they offer that makes them better than PA? Also PA has upgraded with the M series units.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
I'm not sure I get this C5. Looks like it is exactly the same as PA. The C5 install manual shows PA ignition in the photos. What do they offer that makes them better than PA? Also PA has upgraded with the M series units.

It is the same product but tweaked to suit specific models, I believe the M series units are being developed.

56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I've also been thinking about the EFI system.  Rather than buying that kit from Ecotrons, I think I am going to custom build an EFI system utilizing the MegaSquirt 2 system, what ever TB I can make work best, building a custom plenum and mounting an injector on each cylinder just before the intakes on the heads.  I think this will result in a better fuel charge and also help eliminate the dreaded backfire explosions that can happen when running a supercharger with a pull-through set up.

Ace - Will a 65mm TB be too big for my needs?  When I was looking into it last night, I noticed the one TB I was looking at was a 42mm TB for a KTM 250cc.  So maybe 65mm will be ok?  ???  One guy and the landspeed forum had mention that with the supercharger and EFI, too big of a TB won't have nearly as bad of an effect as using too big of a carb on a N/A motor.

Something that I noticed as well is that the MegaSquirt 2 can actually control ignition too.  This could be cool, but I still think I'd be better off going with an external ignition source and have the EFI control box synched by the tach signal.

Here are the parts I'm looking at for the moment:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-ems-system-smd-pcb357-assembled-ecu-p-171.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Aluminum-Universal-CNC-Billet-Intake-Throttle-Body-65mm-2-5-inch-Racing-/350657550120?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a4d19728

I really like the idea of using this particular TB as it is everything you need, and nothing you don't need.  Perfect for a race motor.  I think it will work just fine with the blower, but I'm not too good at this whole crunching Algebra numbers.    :-\  TOM!!!     ;D

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Scottie,
The large throttle body is okay for your purpose.
The plenum is in between the TB and the port runners, so the TB is not really a part of the inlet system tuning in the typical way that normally aspirated engines do. In this plenum system, the inlet runners are tuned to their ends, and those ends are inside the plenum with plenty of air around them. The TB is just a feed for the plenum, and as long as it isn't restrictive, then it's okay. 65mm is plenty big enough.
I definitely agree with the injectors at the port runners, or as close to the valves as you can put them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Tom - I can't remember.  I know you guys can plasma nitride my crank but I can't remember if you said Mondello's can grind the journals and balance it.......     ???   Getting ready to start  making some more serious progress with this build.

Scottie J