Author Topic: ACE Is Assisting With Bulldog Customs Twin - PROJECT ABORTED  (Read 68901 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I can't believe it!  Seriously!     ;D     So I went back out and played in the garage for a little bit this afternoon to take some measurements of the swingarm.  The factory RE swingarm is exactly 8 1/2" wide where the pivot bolt mounts to the frame.  The Suzuki swingarm?  8 19/32"!!!!  Not even an 1/8" wider than what is already there, practically a PERFECT fit!  Also, not going to get the 5" stretch that I thought I was going to.  It's just shy of a 4" stretch from axle to axle.  Not quite as long as I was hoping, but 4" is better than what was there.  The large bracket on the bottom of the swingarm is going to get removed.  The set up had this super goofy triple hinge shock mount thing going on.  Complicated and unnecessary weight, so I'll be mounting the shock to the bracket on TOP of the swingarm and the top of the shock will be mounted under the seat.

Scottie
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:24:04 pm by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I sat down this morning and was played some gearing calculators.  Basically, with 100hp at the block and a 3.14 final drive ratio I should be able to achieve 140mph at 6000 RPMs, and 160mph if I attempt to hit 7000 RPMs.  Here are the different charts:

Factory OEM Gearing For The Chief

21 Tooth Front/39 Tooth Rear 6000 RPMs

21 Tooth Front/39 Tooth Rear 6500 RPMs

21 Tooth Front/39 Tooth Rear 7000 RPMs

Stock Gear Ratios

Needed Gear Ratios

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
What speed do you need to hit?

You always have to set up for speeds higher than you need to hit, because at Bonneville there is always tire slippage and stuff which makes you run slower there. Make the bike run 10mph faster than you need it to, in your road tests, because you'll lose speed on the salt.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
129.937 mph is the record I'm trying to break.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
129.937 mph is the record I'm trying to break.

I would try to get the bike to do over 140mph on the pavement, in the test runs.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Scottie,
Here is a pic of the current ECTA Speed Record Holder in the 650 twin class.
It's carbed(Mikuni flatslides), and does somewhere over 120mph.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Cool!  Thanks for sharing that.  :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
 believe this is going to be the final stance of the bike.  Waiting on feedback from landracing.com members before I start welding things up.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I have the rear suspension mocked up now.  I welded 2 gussets on the bottom of the frame for the upper shock mount, 1 that will slam the bike and one for a more typical stance.  This pic is me sitting on the frame with the standard stance.

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Looking good.
Just be sure you have enough ground clearance with the fairing on, because there are ruts in the salt at Bonneville which make the bodywork si closer down to the ground.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Your custom valves came in today at Mondello's.  He said he'd be starting on getting the valve gear installed late next week.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Awesome!   ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Tom -  Did you guys end up going with steel or titanium valves? 

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Tom -  Did you guys end up going with steel or titanium valves? 

Scottie J
I'm pretty sure that they are stainless steel. I will have to ask him to be sure, but I don't think that they would order titanium valves without asking me first.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I'm pretty sure that they are stainless steel. I will have to ask him to be sure, but I don't think that they would order titanium valves without asking me first.

OK.  I remember talking about it a couple months ago and I THOUGHT that we had come to the conclusion that we'd be better off using SS valves instead of titanium because of valve seat durability.....  ???  Sorry, my brain has been a bit mushy between work, you building the heads and me trying to read, read, read and read some more on building the chassis and blower for this bike.  I really haven't given my brain much rest lately.  I've been eating, breathing and sleeping this bike build.    :o

Thanks for keeping me up to date Tom!  It is much appreciated!   :D

Scottie