Author Topic: ACE Is Assisting With Bulldog Customs Twin - PROJECT ABORTED  (Read 68917 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Any news Tom?  ???

I'll be going there tomorrow to see what's up.
Please remember that there's only one guy doing all these heads for us over there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I'll be going there tomorrow to see what's up.
Please remember that there's only one guy doing all these heads for us over there.

OK.  Just curious and excited.  :)  I know you've been busy with other projects.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
OK.  Just curious and excited.  :)  I know you've been busy with other projects.

Just to make you feel a little better, we know where we want to go with it.
We have to figure out how we're going to increase the lift before we can really even get into the porting. The porting has to be set to work with whatever lift we can get.
So, that's going to take a while, because that is the most unusual part of the job and is different than all the other heads we normally do. The porting will not take very long after the lift modification is done.
The "before" flow test is only for a reference, and it won't really be important in the overall scheme of things, except to show a nice big fat increase over the dead-stock heads. 8)
It's the "after" flow test that holds all the marbles. ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Sounds Great!  I know we discussed making some custom high lift steel rockers that could be adjustable through the top of the head which sounds like it might be the easiest way to go, but you're the professional.  ;)   Also, I need to double check the rule book to see if that is an acceptable mod or not.  I know the base line flow isn't very significant, but I am really curious what they do flow stock.  And even more curious as to how much air we can really flow!  I sent my heads to you because you seem to be the best in the biz, and you know things that I didn't even know existed.  ;D

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Sounds Great!  I know we discussed making some custom high lift steel rockers that could be adjustable through the top of the head which sounds like it might be the easiest way to go, but you're the professional.  ;)   Also, I need to double check the rule book to see if that is an acceptable mod or not.  I know the base line flow isn't very significant, but I am really curious what they do flow stock.  And even more curious as to how much air we can really flow!  I sent my heads to you because you seem to be the best in the biz, and you know things that I didn't even know existed.  ;D

Scottie

That isn't going to be an easy way to go, but it might be the only way we can go.
We have some ideas about how to approach it.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
If this helps any, I remember when I rebuilt a Meteor 700 engine, being supplied Super Meteor valves by mistake, but sticking with them and making them fit. The crucial difference [from memory] was the S.M. guides protruded up into the rocker box less than the Meteor type and the collet location on the stems was higher up, these features to go with the alloy valve spring caps and tighter wound springs of the S.M.
 Play 'mix and match' with some of these components [or their dimensions] and you might gain a bit more room for valve travel before bottoming out - the opposite of what I ended up with, by having Meteor valve guides and S.M. / 'Connie' valves. I got away with it because the Meteor cams are very soft, but that engine would not accept 'Connie' camshafts unless the valve guides were changed.
 In short, if you were to use  S.M. valve guides with S.M. valves, you will have more scope for valve movement.
 That said, I am sure Ace will be using something superior to the stock factory items  ;)
 Also, I am not sure that the twins are handicapped for cam lobe heights in the same way as the 'Bullet' engines are, you may have many more options open to you in this department than with a single.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
It's making the steel rockers that is going to be the hard part. We'll order custom valves to whatever length needed.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
B.W. - I believe what you're saying about the differences in valves between the M. and S.M.  But from what I researched, when they did the production change in '56, they did away with the Meteor and made only the S.M. and all the valves and heads are identical between the S.M. and  Constellation, and even the early Interceptors based off of the 700cc platform.  I have spoke with Richard at Hitchcock's over some early morning conversations a few different times.  Speaking with him (he seems to be the most knowledgeable person on the Twins there) and Tom (Ace) here's what I have decided:

First, in order to get anything significant out of these heads they will need some major work and custom parts.  I'm leaving all that to Ace and Mondello's as I feel my lack of knowledge in this department won't be much help beyond saying "Yes.  That sounds good." or "No. I don't have Bill Gates money."

Second, there apparently ARE clearance issues with fitting bigger cams lobes into the twin engine cases.  Upon further investigation, it turns out that the Interceptor Series I  "R" Cams have almost the same identical lobe profiles as Ace's 357 Magnum Cams.  So we are going to try those out first, see how the motor goes together and run it for a season.  If it feels like we're still not getting enough, then I will consider sending out my cams to have them reprofiled for the next race season.

And Third, using either the Aisin AMR300 or AMR500 supercharger is going to be the most efficient cost effective way to build the kind of boost I want.  After chatting with many different racers on the land speed racing forum, there was a real concern as to whether the modular cast crank will be able to hold up past 8,000 RPMs.  There's a lot of controversy over this, so I'm going with the advice of other racers and am going to keep the redline RPMs closer to 7,000 RPMs as I don't want to burn up my brand new motor in one session of racing.  If I use a turbo, I'll only be actually building boost for about 2,500 RPMs at this redline and there would be a lot of wasted power.  By going with the supercharger, I'll be able to build boost right off of idle and continue building boost all the way through the entire RPM range.  This means  much more power down low and eliminates the need for HAVING to redline at 8,000 RPMs+.

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
I will discuss this crankshaft situation today with Mondello's and see what they say about nodular iron and rpms.
They have a cryo tank there,  which is usually a good treatment for cranks. They might have some recommendations.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Ok thanks Tom.  If they do crank balancing there I'm totally ok with sending my crank to you guys as well.  Just let me know if I need to ship it to you.

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Worked out a crank strengthening strategy with Mondello's today, and proposed it to Scottie on the phone, and it looks like it will be a go.
Using the nodular iron crank treatment that is required for all engines that race in NASCAR.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Yes!  The plasma nitriding is a definite go!  I was talking to Alex (my turbo guy) after I spoke with you and he was saying that all the newer STi cranks have plasma nitriding as well.  Let me know when we get those baseline flow results back.  Man am I excited!   :D

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Tom, I just sent an email to Bob Newby in regards to the belt drive, a custom crank pulley and what ignition he recommends.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I have an exciting bit of news!  As most of you know I've been on the hunt for a donor bike for a rear swing arm, mono shock suspension, disc brake and wheel set up for the Chief.  Tomorrow night I'm going to pick up my old Suzuki GS550ESD to use for the donor bike.  Not only is this cool because it was the first bike I owned when I moved to Denver, but he's giving to me got nothing because it ruined in the floods we had this fall!  I felt bad for just taking it from him so I'm going to pick him a 6 pack of a good micro brew add a token of my appreciation.  This is great because now I can get started the chassis while Ace figures out the tricky part of getting some custom rockers made.  Hopefully will be ordering the pistons, rods and cylinder in the next month or so.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Tom, when you have a moment, can you please review this information on the EFI kit and see if you can come to a conclusion on what size TB will work best for me?  I'm thinking that either the 50mm or 55mm will work best.

The following sizes are available to choose from:
News: We now have 38mm, 42mm, 45mm, 50mm, 55mm, 60mm, and 65mm throttle bodies to fit different size engines. Note, only 42mm throttle body has been customzied for certain bikes like Suzuki DR650. For other throttle bodies, you may need to do some mechanical adaptations.
Note: for DR650, the motor is running better with a little rich AFR in some cases, like idle, and WOT.

Here's the link to the page
http://www.ecotrons.com/products/400cc_to_800cc_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

Thanks!
Scottie