Author Topic: ACE Is Assisting With Bulldog Customs Twin - PROJECT ABORTED  (Read 68899 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
It's official!  I just sent off the heads for my '59 Chief Bonneville to Tom at Ace Cafe.  Looks like we're going to try and give them the Big Head treatment.  I'm super excited to be having ACE and Mondello's to be taking part in this build.  This bike is truly going to be a one of a kind and setting new mile stones along the way.  Thanks Tom!   :D

Scottie
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:33:14 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:07:49 pm
I'm looking forward to doing some magic on these heads!
Thanks,
Tom
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:04 pm
I'm looking forward to doing some magic on these heads!
Thanks,
Tom

Funny you should say that.  As I was packing them up I was singing to myself "They're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of air!"   Lol   I know, I'm a nerd.   ;)

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:46:29 pm
This bike here would make a perfect donor bike for my suspension, brakes and wheels needs.  :)

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4171589090.html

Or this one
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4125885613.html

Perfect timing!  Everyone is wanting to clean their crap out of their garage and I'm on the prowl!

Scottie
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:48:59 pm by Scottie J »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:04 am
The heads arrived at Ace Cafe earlier week.  Tom has high hopes for making BIG changes to the heads and there are talks of custom roller rockers.  :)

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:07:13 pm
Eagerly awaiting for a call from Tom with the initial flow bench results.    :D

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:05:05 pm
The heads are at Mondello's.
It all depends on how soon he gets them on the flow bench.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:11:41 pm
Cool!  Sorry, this is just exciting for me.   ;D

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:31:08 pm
Cool!  Sorry, this is just exciting for me.   ;D

Scottie
The rockers are going to be a challenge in these heads.
Very small area to work with, so this probably leaves out alloy roller rockers, and will likely need steel roller rockers fabricated. Or maybe even non roller, just with some ratio on them.
We are contemplating the options.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:14 pm
The rockers are going to be a challenge in these heads.
Very small area to work with, so this probably leaves out alloy roller rockers, and will likely need steel roller rockers fabricated. Or maybe even non roller, just with some ratio on them.
We are contemplating the options.

I was anticipating that being a problem.  Thanks for the heads up.

I joined the landracing.com forum today.  It looks like the speed to beat is 197 mph.  After I break that record I need to build something pre '57, the record there is only 121 mph.  ; D

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:26 pm
I've been doing some research and getting a lot of help from the landracing.com forum.  Turns out the Chief is considered a classic not a vintage bike.  I'm still looking into it but I might end up boosting this motor after all.  Coolest part is, that if I can in fact build my bike the way I want it doesn't look like anyone has ever run in the particular class I intend on.  This means if I have a successful legal build I will be the first person to run in that class and I will be setting the record for the first time ever.  Exciting times I tell you.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

I finally got in contact with the right people and it's a for sure thing now.  The '59 Chief is going to be getting custom EFI and and a Garrett G1241 turbo charger!  I also found out that the current record for MPS-PBF (Modified Partially Streamlined - Pushrod Blown Fuel) is 158mph.  I should be able to DECIMATE that!  And just for a little teaser, I found a more appropriate full fairing setup specially designed for LSR.

It will be painted candy gold with black and red graphics.

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Very neat Scottie.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Sat down and had a nice talk with my engine guy last night.  We decided that because we going to be boosting this motor after all, it is really unnecessary to spend almost $2000 on just pistons and rods alone going with custom 1-off CP pistons and Carrillo rods.  Maybe on a future NA application/build, but like most garage builders, we need to get the most bang-for-the-buck that we can.  So we decided that the forged Omega 8:1 performance pistons and billet rods from Hitchcock's will work just fine for this build.  The pistons and rods are still a very robust design, but nearly half the cost of going with custom CP pistons and Carrillo rods.  When all said and done, I will essentially have a 750 MK1 Interceptor with all the bells and whistles, plus the turbo charger, with a 90mm stroke as opposed to a 93mm stroke on an actual Interceptor.  I also think I may have place that I might be able to Dyno tune the bike (a friend of a friend type deal).

Tom - Are we looking at the first of the year before the heads will see the flow bench?  No worries, just curious.   :)

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
And just to refresh everyone's memory here is the EFI kit and Garrett turbo that are going to be used for this build.  I also am posting pics of the pistons and rods.

Scottie