Author Topic: Mikuni TM-32 fittment  (Read 28101 times)

Adrian

Reply #60 on: June 09, 2014, 05:13:17 pm
I think my next project will have another Dell'Orto!  ;D

Tip re. the yard, dig out all the grass, put down a permeable membrane with stone chippings on top and maybe just a few drought-resistant plants inserted, so it only needs an occasional tidying instead of cutting . Better still get someone else to do it. That worked for me when my wife's cancer came back, and we decided my time would be better spent looking after her than gardening.

I hope the prospect of riding the fastest AVL 500 on your side of the Pond eases your pain.

Regards,

A.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: June 09, 2014, 08:23:38 pm
1/4 to 1/3 is mostly jet
1/3 to 2/3 is about even, jet + needle
2/3 - 3/4 is mostly needle

Thanks Ace.  So, if im getting this, switching to one jet leaner would require the needle to move a bit richer for good 1/3 to 2/3 performance.  Outside temps may also impact this as well (summer v winter for example).  Am I correct, generally?

Have you gotten better at dealing with needle changes with the TM-32? Do you have any hints for me when I get to that point? Do you do it on the engine with the tank removed? I'm thinking it's easier to remove the carb to make needle changes. No?

Hey 2CV.  I like your new title 'North America's Fastest AVL'!  ;D
So far, I just pull the tank to get to the carb on the engine.  For change needle settings, I just rotate the carb slightly to the timing chest side of the bike, and pull the cable / slide assembly off the top.  The i compress the spring and release the cable; the slide just comes off and the spring releases itself!  It's easy to get off;  To get it back on, you need to compress the spring with all the fixings in place on the cable plate, and re-attach to the slide.  Once the cable is on the slide, it's easy.  It's just the spring that is a b*tch (I gave up on the zip ties - more trouble that its worth!).  I do the same to change the needle jet, except I pull the bowl and main jet, and then lift it out the top; no need to mess with the spring...

I've gotten quick at it.  Yesterday I changed twice; gotten down to about 20 minutes, with minimal swearing.  But there is a learning curve! 

Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #62 on: June 09, 2014, 08:31:32 pm
Thanks Ace.  So, if im getting this, switching to one jet leaner would require the needle to move a bit richer for good 1/3 to 2/3 performance.  Outside temps may also impact this as well (summer v winter for example).  Am I correct, generally?

It might turn out that way. I would try the leaner needle jet, and see what happens. If you then need to move the needle, then do some of that.
It will require leaner as the temps get hotter, richer as they get cooler.

I really don't understand why your bike is so difficult to dial in. That is not typical, but I have very little AVL experience with it. Other AVL owners seem to have had easier times with it, from previous reports.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 10:53:10 pm
DanB - Are you absolutely 100% positive you have your timing dialed in correctly?   ???
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Adrian

Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 11:13:27 pm
Ignition timing is (usually!) fixed on the AVL models.

A.

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 01:32:41 am
hi guys any help would be great to jet a tm32. I have a 2008 electra with k&n filter and royal enfield classic exhaust system and alloy manifold from Ace.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 01:35:26 am
By the way I'm in DC so not much above sea level
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: June 10, 2014, 02:56:46 am
DanB - Are you absolutely 100% positive you have your timing dialed in correctly?   ???

Well....  No I'm not confident, but as Adrian said these are for the most part fixed. I haven't timed it nor messed with the woodruff key.

I think the dialing part is a lot of human error honestly. I tend to over think.  But I'm very close. Took it up to 80 yesterday and the plug showed I'm ok and the bike felt right. And it did so with relative easy. At 70 it just purrs nicely. When I commute I'm generally at 1/8 to 1/2. This has been tricky for me. Between over thinking and then reading the bike wrong.... Just trying to understand and learn!

Fuel consumption is not great due to the endless need to 'twist throttle more than is really needed' 8)
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: June 10, 2014, 04:35:39 am
hi guys any help would be great to jet a tm32. I have a 2008 electra with k&n filter and royal enfield classic exhaust system and alloy manifold from Ace.

If you read thru this thread you'll see where I started and where im at now.  Have you removed the hot tube from the exhaust?  I'm similar to your setup, with the hot tube removed and the air box opened up.  I am using the S cams; not sure how they impact the jetting overall from stock.
2006 AVL Electra

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 04:28:15 am
yes I saw you were using the S cams,I would think they make quite a difference but it is a starting point.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 04:35:54 am
yes I saw you were using the S cams,I would think they make quite a difference but it is a starting point.

Cams will not really affect the carb tuning too much in general.  All the cams do is allow more air/fuel in and out of the combustion chamber, the A/F ratio generally stays the same.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 07:17:37 am
If you read thru this thread you'll see where I started and where im at now.  Have you removed the hot tube from the exhaust?  I'm similar to your setup, with the hot tube removed and the air box opened up.  I am using the S cams; not sure how they impact the jetting overall from stock.

Hi Dan,
I am at 3000 ft above sea level and running the 'S' ( 'S' for 'Superman' cams cams  ;D)  with an open exhaust header ( without the hot tube & the narrow pipe at the exhaust mounting side). I am running the following for my TM-34:
1. Pilot 25 : 2 turns out
2. Needle Jet - P6
3. Main Jet - 190
4. Stock carb needle in the 2nd notch from the top.

The bike starts first kick in the morning even on cold days and pulls really well with an amazing exhaust note all the way up to 145 kmph. I can easily out accelerate the new new FI 500s. I maybe a little lean at WOT- still need to do some plug chops;haven't gone above this speed for want of better rubber than the stock ones which i am running (and there are always the speeding tickets which somehow find their way into my mailbox and despite my best efforts end up in my wife's hand  :-\)

Hope this is of help but I am using a 34mm and am at a different elevation than you. Temperatures range from 23 deg C - 33 Deg C here in Bangalore.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: June 11, 2014, 01:12:19 pm
Thanks Tejk. My settings are nearly exactly the same except I have a shim on the clip at the 2nd notch at about 600 ft. The faster I go, then more I realize I need to work in suspension next  ;D
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #73 on: June 12, 2014, 06:50:21 pm

Hey 2CV.  I like your new title 'North America's Fastest AVL'!  ;D
So far, I just pull the tank to get to the carb on the engine.  For change needle settings, I just rotate the carb slightly to the timing chest side of the bike, and pull the cable / slide assembly off the top.  The i compress the spring and release the cable; the slide just comes off and the spring releases itself!  It's easy to get off;  To get it back on, you need to compress the spring with all the fixings in place on the cable plate, and re-attach to the slide.  Once the cable is on the slide, it's easy.  It's just the spring that is a b*tch (I gave up on the zip ties - more trouble that its worth!).  I do the same to change the needle jet, except I pull the bowl and main jet, and then lift it out the top; no need to mess with the spring...

I've gotten quick at it.  Yesterday I changed twice; gotten down to about 20 minutes, with minimal swearing.  But there is a learning curve! 

Thanks for the hints. This is sorta how I was vizhalizing it. I've been inturrupted by a lot of crap lately plus a computer downage the day you wrote this plus the nesasesaticity of getting a new printer & the nightmare of convincing (F-ing) Windoze to allow me to load it & recognize it. Terminal, Killer neck aches.

Anyway, the picture shows where I was at on the weekend sometime while I was attaching cable to carb & then cable to throttle grip. That went well other than that bloody spring is a royal (enfield) bastard.

I'll post more on the other thread after I eat something & my neck lets me.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.