Author Topic: Mikuni TM-32 fittment  (Read 28104 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 09:46:17 pm
Thanks for the p/n Ace!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 02:29:12 am
Thanks for the p/n Ace!

Ditto   :)

Looks like I'm on some kind of path, doesn't it? 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 03:24:16 pm
             Ditto   :)

Looks like I'm on some kind of path, doesn't it?

I finally found Throttle Cable 021-947 for the TM-32 on a RE on the Sudco Price List. It's $22.00, Item #4,223 in a cast of millions, I guess.

The website doesn't seem to work like most I'm used to. Most links produce a Not Found 404 when clicked on  & the online catalog is impossible to read (the text is microscopic). And there's no Search window. And there doesn't seem to be any way to order anything. Is it me? Do you have to order through a dealer?  That would make the cable what? $50.00?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 05:26:26 pm
              I finally found Throttle Cable 021-947 for the TM-32 on a RE on the Sudco Price List. It's $22.00, Item #4,223 in a cast of millions, I guess.

The website doesn't seem to work like most I'm used to. Most links produce a Not Found 404 when clicked on  & the online catalog is impossible to read (the text is microscopic). And there's no Search window. And there doesn't seem to be any way to order anything. Is it me? Do you have to order through a dealer?  That would make the cable what? $50.00?

I'm not sure.  I've asked the question to Sudco directly today.  If you'd like 2CV, i can order a couple of cables (if it's possible) and then you & I can work it out later.  PM me if interested.

Soon as I hear from them, I'll share what I find.

Dan
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 06:01:56 pm
In the past, I have just called them and gave them part numbers, and they shipped them to me.
Try calling.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:27:34 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 07:28:12 pm
In the past, I have just called them and gave them part numbers, and they shipped them to me.
Try calling.

Thanks,, Ace & DanB

That's what I'll do when I've thoroughly convinced myself that ordering the TM is the path I want to be on.

Why can't I just be happy with the CV? The bike runs perfectly fine, perfectly being relative, with it.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 09:01:39 pm
Why can't I just be happy with the CV? The bike runs perfectly fine, perfectly being relative, with it.

For the same reason you have the smaller battery, missing side covers, no catch can, opened the exhaust/intake --> You can't stop tinkering!! ... just like me  :o

Talked to Sudco... just call them and they will handle for you. Or you can use a local dealer to do on your behalf. 
2006 AVL Electra

Adrian

Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 10:55:39 am
Dan's absolutely right!

Meanwhile, I have a slightly more random approach to throttle cables. I just bought a stock classic iron engine Bullet item. I then fitted a 90 degree bend ferrule to the carb top so as to direct it away from the underside of the gas tank, and simply trimmed the now over-length outer cable to suit. This was on a Dell'Orto PHF but ought to work on the TM32 Mikuni, especially as this is quite a tall carb, and room under the tank is limited.

Regards,

Adrian

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 05:11:02 pm
I just used the standard Iron Barrel throttle cable.  I don't see why the need for something else.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 04:35:41 am
The TM-32 I ordered from Amazon arrived and I thought I'd let others know that it is shipped with a 250 main, 45 pilot and a Q2 needle jet. It will be another $25 worth of jets, more if I order a few extra sizes, a cable if I can't piece one together $22, then an air filter. I may try to find a 58mm id hose that I can be used to connect the carb to the airbox.

No rush as there is a few inches of snow in my yard and the temperature just barely broke 30F.
Bill N.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 08:34:25 am
The TM-32 I ordered from Amazon arrived and I thought I'd let others know that it is shipped with a 250 main, 45 pilot and a Q2 needle jet. It will be another $25 worth of jets, more if I order a few extra sizes, a cable if I can't piece one together $22, then an air filter. I may try to find a 58mm id hose that I can be used to connect the carb to the airbox.

No rush as there is a few inches of snow in my yard and the temperature just barely broke 30F.
Bill N.
Yes, all the TM32 carbs come jetted like that. They always need a complete set of different jets for our application.
I think the usual application is for some motocross bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 03:29:44 pm
I just used the standard Iron Barrel throttle cable.  I don't see why the need for something else.

Because the ball end for the stock BS-29 on an AVL will not FIT the the slide lifter holder on a TM 32. You can't use the stock cable when going to a TM 32.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 03:41:52 pm

For the same reason you have the smaller battery, missing side covers, no catch can, opened the exhaust/intake --> You can't stop tinkering!! ... just like me  :o

Talked to Sudco... just call them and they will handle for you. Or you can use a local dealer to do on your behalf.

I called Sudco yesterday to order a throttle cable, a 90 degree fitting for the top & a bunch of jets. They will not deal with me as a private citizen so I ordered my bunch of jets from JetRUs. Now I'm on my way to the jap bike store to have my old friend the parts guy order the cable & adjuster for me.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to modify
motorcycles  :)

Adrian

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 10:31:39 pm
As for TM32 jets and settings, Bedlam's Electra-X ran very happily with those used on the C.I. engined Fireball! I'm sure they're still on Ace's web site somewhere...  ;)

A.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:54 am
Thought I would reuse this thread rather than creating a new one.  I need some help with tuning the TM32. 

Quick overview of my setup: 
  • Short bottle exhaust, with hotpipe removed and reduced steel header ring.
  • K&N filter in stock airbox, with lots of extra openings ::)
  • S-Cams
  • Ace's alloy intake

My initial starting point was:
Pilot - 30
Main - 200 (I have a selection: 185-200, in steps of 5)
Needle - Stock, 5FP17
Needle jet - P6 (Q2 is stock or as supplied)
Air Jet - Stock 2.5
Slide - Stock, 4.0

Now at:
Pilot - 25
Main - 190
Needle - Stock, middle clip, 5FP17
Needle jet - P4
Air Jet - Stock, 2.5
Slide - Stock, 4.0

See next post
2006 AVL Electra