Author Topic: Mikuni TM-32 fittment  (Read 28108 times)

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
on: November 18, 2013, 03:38:56 pm
I just ordered a Mikuni TM-32 for my 07' Electra. Someone on the list mentioned that they were available through Amazon for a good price. My bike currently has the 29mm CV carb on it. I am wondering if I can use the rubber mount that holds the 29mm CV for the TM-32 or if I need to order another Mikuni manifold from Sudco. Anybody been here, done this? I'll likely be looking for an after-market air filter. Suggestions on what works best?
TIA,
Bill N

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:40:03 pm
You need the Sudco rubber manifold that fits the 32-34mm carbs, and has the right spacing for the studs. The rubber manifold that NField Gear uses for their 34mm carb kit will work.

You can use a K&N pod filter, or an Ace Air Canister will fit on there too.
You can probably guess which one I think you should use.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:53 pm
Another option. Ace makes an alloy intake manifold as well. If you follow the link to the yahoo group in Ace's signature and into the pictures, you find it in the folder of ace products. This is the option I plan on using.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:29:21 am
Im a college student and broke ivr been running the tm32 with the stock flange

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:57:18 am
You can even bore out the existing flange to match the 40mm OD of TM32 I think.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:18:50 am
You can even bore out the existing flange to match the 40mm OD of TM32 I think.

I don't know if this can be done to the AVL manifold. Maybe it can.
I do know that it cannot be done with an Iron Barrel manifold.

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:22:45 am
Im a college student and broke ivr been running the tm32 with the stock flange

I understand what you are talking about - I bought my bike 10 years ago when I was studying and know how things are at that time. Until recently, I was running my TM34 on the stock flange from the AVL on my AVL engine. However, it a crazy tight fit and the rubber cracked after a few hundred kilometers. I have switched to the flange for the Classic 350 now. It seems to be of a tougher material and has been holding up pretty well. I don't think you should bore it out too much as these are prone to cracking under the vacuum. And if your bike/plug suddenly starts running too  lean this should be the first thing to check for cracks.

I use these on my bike as these are easy to come by here in India and can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of a sourcing a larger flange. The best would be to save up and get a perfectly matched manifold as Ace suggested.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 03:00:11 pm
A proper Mikuni 30-34 mm flange is about $25.  I think this model, M-VM34-200K, should do it.  http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/index.php/frontpage-slider/carb-flange-carburetor-flange-adapters-rubber-by-mikuni.html

Right part for the job means less problems later (nasty lean condition), and more consistent performance.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:33:01 pm
Dan B,
  Thanks for the lead on the rubber flange. The price couldn't be beat and I don't think I would have found this on my own. Now I hope the jetting on the Mikuni TM-32 on order is in the ballpark. Playing the "right jet game" usually ends with a pot of brass jets. Any suggestions on starting points with jets?
Bill N

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:55:52 pm
A proper Mikuni 30-34 mm flange is about $25.  I think this model, M-VM34-200K, should do it.  http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/index.php/frontpage-slider/carb-flange-carburetor-flange-adapters-rubber-by-mikuni.html

Right part for the job means less problems later (nasty lean condition), and more consistent performance.

Thanks for that part #, Dan.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a TM-32 even if I don't put it on until after next year's riding season. I can't see passing one up now for $127.

OR I might put it on right away when I get my head back  :)  rather than play with the BS-29 jets all over again & THEN go through it again with the TM.

Can anyone give me a source & part # for the throttle cable I'll need for an '08 AVL with stock bars & levers?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:29:11 pm

On my Iron Barrel I had to grind the top of the flange flat to clear the headbrace mount.  The flange is rubber over an aluminum (aluminium) core and a grinder or cutoff wheel works fine for this.  I don't know about he AVL head though.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 06:05:42 pm
You need the Sudco rubber manifold that fits the 32-34mm carbs, and has the right spacing for the studs. The rubber manifold that NField Gear uses for their 34mm carb kit will work.

You can use a K&N pod filter, or an Ace Air Canister will fit on there too.
You can probably guess which one I think you should use.

TM is flat slide, VM is round slide; Is that right?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:10:22 pm
            TM is flat slide, VM is round slide; Is that right?

Yes.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 07:30:45 pm
@Tooseevee:  Since you're sending the head to Ace, you may want to consider Ace's 32mm intake, also made at Mondello's I believe.  He can have it matched to your head!  Just an idea. 
Throttle Cable: I ordered an iron barrel cable from India.  I believe this will work, as it has the correct nipple on it for the TM32. Still waiting and havent checked the length.  I have an Electra and not the Classic (don't think that should make a huge difference as the PWK 30 uses the same IB cable), and I also changed the bars to drag bars.  I dont think I'll have a problem, but will know soon enough. Backup plan is to either order a long IB cable or just make one to fit. 

@ D the D:  Hmmm, you may be correct that the stock Mikuni flange may need to be cut down a bit to clear the AVL head steady.  Should be a fairly easy mod if needed.

@motoguzzibill:  Jetting is dependent on your conditions & setup.  I'm in Illinois; +100 sea level, its COLD at the moment and I have a 'mostly' open air intake and exhaust.  So for my initial setup I've elected the following:

Pilot - 30
Main - 200 (I have a selection: 185-200, in steps of 5)
Needle - Stock
Needle jet - P6 (Q2 is stock or as supplied)
Air Jet - Stock
Slide - Stock

More experienced setups are in this thread: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16053.0.html
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:17 pm
If you are ordering from Sudco anyway, then get their Motion Pro cable, called "Enfield Throttle Cable" Part number 021-947.
Great throttle cable, and worth the money.
We use them on all the Fireballs with the TM32.