Author Topic: Mikuni TM-32 fittment  (Read 28369 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 01:50:56 am
A quick update:

Took carb off and cleaned out the passages.
Pilot - 25, 1 turn out
Needle jet- P6 currently
Stock needle, 1 clip richer off middle
Mains - 195

Mid range from 1/2 to 3/4 is nice! Very nice exhaust note, maybe a tad lean. 
Wot - tried a 200... It choked. 195 at the moment. May go back to 190, but wanted to start richer.
0 to 1/4, 1/2 - this area has been tricky and it's where I ride the most. My P4 acted like it ran out of fuel around 4100 rpm.  I've got the P6 in now but have not go out on it yet due to storms in the area.

Had to relearn my starting technique. A sort of kick followed by a small throttle roll. 1 kick starts now. She needs about 4 minutes to warm up and still doesn't like any choke (mid to upper 70s the last few days).

Think I'm getting there!  Wish I had a dyno around me.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 03:40:26 am
You can get a needle shim from Sudco or a Mikuni dealer, which allows you to raise the needle the distance of half a groove. Sometimes this can help to find the sweet spot in difficult applications.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:53 pm
If you are ordering from Sudco anyway, then get their Motion Pro cable, called "Enfield Throttle Cable" Part number 021-947.
Great throttle cable, and worth the money.
We use them on all the Fireballs with the TM32.

I'll be calling my local bike shop (30 mile round trip) again today to see if SUDCO 021-947 (Motion Pro) is in yet. It's been on order all winter.

If NField Gear sells kits with Mikuni TM 32s & 34s, why don't they have any throttle cables?

Does anyone know a Motion Pro PART number for the throttle cable that SUDCO sells as 021-947?

I've been through cable nightmares before with others (throttle AND clutch & brake) & it looks like THIS project's cable is going to be another one.

My big hope today is that the guy I talk to at Motion Pro can immediately relate the SUDCO number to his Motion Pro number. This is what I should have done from the beginning, but I was too focused on SUDCO.   

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:16:01 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 11:29:26 pm
            I'll be calling my local bike shop (30 mile round trip) again today to see if SUDCO 021-947 (Motion Pro) is in yet. It's been on order all winter.

If NField Gear sells kits with Mikuni TM 32s & 34s, why don't they have any throttle cables?

Does anyone know a Motion Pro PART number for the throttle cable that SUDCO sells as 021-947?

I've been through cable nightmares before with others (throttle AND clutch & brake) & it looks like THIS project's cable is going to be another one.

My big hope today is that the guy I talk to at Motion Pro can immediately relate the SUDCO number to his Motion Pro number. This is what I should have done from the beginning, but I was too focused on SUDCO.   

I had the same issue. I had the wrong cable sent to me by SUDCO's. They took it back. I did the next best thing: a stock RE clutch throttle cable from CMW. It works just fine.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:28:33 am by 1 Thump »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 01:11:41 am
I had the same issue. I had the wrong cable sent to me by SUDCO's. They took it back. I did the next best thing: a stock RE clutch cable from CMW. It works just fine.

I don't NEED a clutch cable. I need a throttle cable with a stock RE (AVL) throttle end & a Mikuni TM-32 carburetor end. The TM-32 is totally different in every way from the stock Mikuni BS-29 & the stock cable housing, adjusters & carb entry are different.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:51 am
            I don't NEED a clutch cable. I need a throttle cable with a stock RE (AVL) throttle end & a Mikuni TM-32 carburetor end. The TM-32 is totally different in every way from the stock Mikuni BS-29 & the stock cable housing, adjusters & carb entry are different.

My bad. I meant stock iron barrel throttle cable.

Is something wrong with your stock AVL throttle cable .......or does it look like it wont work?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 04:03:32 am
Another update... went out on the P6.  1/8 to 1/4 and then to 1/2 is much better; no loss of acceleration. 

But... i rolled on to 3/4 to 7/8, then rolled off... BANG.  God almightly backfire thru the exhaust. (Scared the sh*t out of soccer mom SUV... they rolled up all the windows  :o) There are no intake leaks or exhaust leaks.  Do I interpret this as slightly lean at that throttle?  My plugs are showing a nicer grayish color at 1/4 to 1/2 on the insulator; The ring indicating fuel mixture is slightly too sooty... which i think is a pilot still too rich.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:54 pm
My bad. I meant stock iron barrel throttle cable.

Is something wrong with your stock AVL throttle cable .......or does it look like it wont work?

Maybe I should have thought of that months ago when I ordered the correct cable for an RE throttle to a TM-32 Mikuni, but I didn't think of that because I don't have a stock iron barrel.

My stock AVL cable will no way modify to operate a TM-32. The TM is a 100 & 80 degrees different than the stock BS-29 on the AVL in a multitude of ways & so is the cable. I can list all the various differences in the carbs & the cable, but I won't unless forced.

I'm going to get the SUDCO/MotionPro cable (021-947) that I started trying to get months ago or die trying. Or fly to Compton &offer to blow somebody & that would be a cosmically dangerous thing to do   ;) ;)

What bothers me the most is that I think the shop I ordered it through is lying to me. And I bought my first bike in RI from his grandfather in 1959. It's a Brave New World here in the Animal Farm down the road a piece from Walden II   :o

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:40 pm
Or fly to Compton &offer to blow somebody & that would be a cosmically dangerous thing to do

Bwahhahahahaha!
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: May 28, 2014, 04:19:49 pm
Bwahhahahahaha!

Thank you for recognizing the humor in my madness ;) :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 12:55:42 am
Another update... went out on the P6.  1/8 to 1/4 and then to 1/2 is much better; no loss of acceleration. 

But... i rolled on to 3/4 to 7/8, then rolled off... BANG.  God almightly backfire thru the exhaust. (Scared the sh*t out of soccer mom SUV... they rolled up all the windows  :o) There are no intake leaks or exhaust leaks.  Do I interpret this as slightly lean at that throttle?  My plugs are showing a nicer grayish color at 1/4 to 1/2 on the insulator; The ring indicating fuel mixture is slightly too sooty... which i think is a pilot still too rich.

I would interpret it as lean at the throttle setting that you rolled off to.
If you closed the throttle, it would be the pilot circuit.
However it is not too unusual to get at least a pop if you close the throttle from near WFO.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: May 29, 2014, 02:17:20 am
It sounds like the current setting is close to what I have on my twin, which is lean in the idle/pilot circuit and a bit rich in the main jet.  I have great throttle response everywhere and get a lot of talk out of my cocktail shaker, and an occasional loud pop.  But if your bike popped really loud, then as Ace said, your are still too lean on the pilot jet.  One more size up and you should be good to go on another plug chop run.  You're getting very close.  :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 01:59:04 am
Question for TM 32 'practitioners'

How much do the needle jet and needle overlap between 1/4 and 1/2? 

I've seen the VM curves and get that the carb is mostly on the jet at 1/4 and then transitions onto the needle (so to speak) more towards 1/2. Are the VM and TM about the same? 

Why I ask....  So I thought I was too lean between 1/4-1/2, so I move the clip one richer. Still didn't like the performance, so I shimmed it. Result? Sotty sotty plug. Black. Also noticed lots of hesitation and began to identify this as a rich surge. Ok, I read the bike wrong. Put clip on the 2nd leanest with a shim, and no rich surging... So, basically I'm nearly back where I started, except .5 clip leaner.  P6, needle shimmed at 2nd from the top, 190 mains.

So, if I change to a p4 needle jet, how much impact does that have at 1/8-1/4-1/2 if I leave the clip where it is now?

Thank you for any and all insight.
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: June 09, 2014, 03:32:48 am
1/4 to 1/3 is mostly jet
1/3 to 2/3 is about even, jet + needle
2/3 - 3/4 is mostly needle

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 01:30:15 pm
Question for TM 32 'practitioners'

How much do the needle jet and needle overlap between 1/4 and 1/2? 

I've seen the VM curves and get that the carb is mostly on the jet at 1/4 and then transitions onto the needle (so to speak) more towards 1/2. Are the VM and TM about the same? 

Why I ask....  So I thought I was too lean between 1/4-1/2, so I move the clip one richer. Still didn't like the performance, so I shimmed it. Result? Sotty sotty plug. Black. Also noticed lots of hesitation and began to identify this as a rich surge. Ok, I read the bike wrong. Put clip on the 2nd leanest with a shim, and no rich surging... So, basically I'm nearly back where I started, except .5 clip leaner.  P6, needle shimmed at 2nd from the top, 190 mains.

So, if I change to a p4 needle jet, how much impact does that have at 1/8-1/4-1/2 if I leave the clip where it is now?

Thank you for any and all insight.

Dan,

Have you gotten better at dealing with needle changes with the TM-32? Do you have any hints for me when I get to that point? Do you do it on the engine with the tank removed? I'm thinking it's easier to remove the carb to make needle changes. No?

A few days ago I decided this is the day I do the cable (with the carb NOT attached to the engine) & it is a tricky bastard even though I did it twice on the bench already for practice. I had already run the new cable through the nacelle leaving the throttle end loose & I managed to get it finally after trying various methods to hold that bloody spring. It went well from there on & the throttle end is very simple to hook up with the cable attached to the carb. All I did was shim the slide open an inch with a small piece of plastic to gain that little bit of extra length.

My next milestone will be getting the radiator hoses all fit up & angled properly to attach the carb to the engine & then the canister to the carb. Yard work & other "house duties" (groceries, other social bullshit, etc.) are taking time now also. Then I want to rig a remote hanging fuel supply so I can get it running first without the gas tank installed.

Sometimes I wish I could paint my yard green. The whole thing  :) ;)   And mainline Novacaine to my shoulders, neck & hands. Today my goals are to finish mowing the back yard, attach the carb to the engine & fit the Ace canister up.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:32:17 pm by tooseevee »