Author Topic: AVL exhaust and jetting.  (Read 2243 times)

Techmaven

• Scooter
on: June 05, 2014, 07:23:22 pm
I recently took off the factory (long) muffler off of my 07 Electra to clean it..I HAD to start the bike to see how loud it would be minus the muffler..I love it! not too loud and pretty quiet if you don't get heavy handed on the throttle! The head pipe looks to be quite small inside diameter. Bike seems to run fine with just the pipe. Has any one else done this?

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:45:48 pm
I know "Woka" did it on his UCE and it ran fine according to him (When I met him).

Here's the thread - http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12299.msg156620.html#msg156620

I think as long as the air fuel mixture ratio is fine or close to "OK", it should be fine. Probably running a bit richer might compensate with more fuel?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:40:20 pm
You should at least use an Emgo muffler and pull the baffle out.  I have a pair of cocktail shakers on my twin with the baffles removed and it sounds fantastic.   :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:04:01 pm
I would like to get something a bit smaller than the monster that came off..Especially if it can be secured to the factory footpeg/muffler bracket.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:32:42 pm
The small diameter opening at the tail of the header is a "hot tube" restrictor which acts sort of like a cheap catalytic converter to burn off some remaining emissions before they get out into the air.
This is very restrictive for performance, and most people remove it by using the right size hole saw to core it out from the back end. This leaves a full size pipe all the way thru, and then you add a free flow silencer, and a free flow air filter and re-jet the carb.

This gives a nice boost overall, and is worth the effort.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:29:11 pm
The small diameter opening at the tail of the header is a "hot tube" restrictor which acts sort of like a cheap catalytic converter to burn off some remaining emissions before they get out into the air.
This is very restrictive for performance, and most people remove it by using the right size hole saw to core it out from the back end. This leaves a full size pipe all the way thru, and then you add a free flow silencer, and a free flow air filter and re-jet the carb.

This gives a nice boost overall, and is worth the effort.

During "normal" riding, would that drastically affect MPG? I'm getting 62-72 right now.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:58 pm
Might improve it some.
Shouldn't hurt it any.
Very likely to need a little richer jetting after doing it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:13:12 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !