Author Topic: iron barrel cams in an avl  (Read 2878 times)

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
on: June 10, 2014, 02:31:05 am
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can put iron barrel cams in an AVL but I can't for the life of me find it. whats the concensus on this is it possible and is it worth it, or should I just save up for some S cams.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:24:03 am
Whether they fit or not I'm not sure, but I can't imagine the the lobe profiles being of significant difference to where it would make a performance upgrade.  Personally, if you are trying to get more power/performance, save up and get the S cams.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:09:59 am
They fit, but they have smaller base circles, so the tappets ride lower, so you can't have the valve lifter on the exhaust valve with them.

Also, there is that issue with the valve bounce at 5800 rpm, which is why the S cams were first tried and succeeded.
The S cams ARE iron barrel cams. The valve lifter cannot be used with them either.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:18 am
Personally, I'd save for the S cams.  I dont have any experience with using IB cams in the AVL, but the s cams make a very nice difference... nice mid range revs and more on the top-end.  My Electra can easily be happy between 60-70 with power to pass... ive not gone faster than 85mph (had a pay a fine last time i tried);  My next mod will be suspension!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:59 am
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can put iron barrel cams in an AVL but I can't for the life of me find it. whats the concensus on this is it possible and is it worth it, or should I just save up for some S cams.

Iron barrel cams are better than the cams you get on your AVL but S cams make all the difference. You should check with Paul aka Bulletwhisperer :)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:32:00 pm
The last of the 'S' cams went only recently, making a total of 20 sets out there, from the U.K., to the U.S. and, of course, India.
 To get more made [here at any rate] would mean a commitment to at least 6 sets again, which I don't mind doing, but if anyone thinks they can get them cheaper than I can, please go ahead - I really make little more than a couple of beers per set, but I always enjoy hearing the results from those who have fitted them !!   8)
 B.W.

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:55 am
hey BW I will happily contribute to your beer fund. Just need 5 more power hungry souls.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

Adrian

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:34 am
There may be some more interest when we see how Tooseevee gets on with his tuned cylinder head. Given the concerns of local law enforcement when it comes to over-enthusiastically ridden motorcycles, it might be cheaper if we all just club together and buy BW the brewery! Cheaper than speeding tickets?

http://www.sabrain.com/beers

Cheers.

A.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 12:45:21 pm
There may be some more interest when we see how Tooseevee gets on with his tuned cylinder head. Given the concerns of local law enforcement when it comes to over-enthusiastically ridden motorcycles, it might be cheaper if we all just club together and buy BW the brewery! Cheaper than speeding tickets?

Sure, it would be way cheaper all around.  But it would also be a lot less fun.  And there are ways out of speeding tickets.  You just need a good amount of horsepower and a thorough knowledge of all of the side streets and/or back roads.  ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 02:13:52 pm
I would be very interested to see/verify if the Ace Magnum cams will work in the AVL with our new Ace cylinder head mods. I anticipate that it would, since we use the same springs, cams and valve hardware in the Fireball without any drama. The main difference with the AVL would be those very long-stemmed valves. I think it should work.
With Magnum Cams and our roller rockers installed in the AVL, it should reach .500" lift.

In any of these cases of higher lift, piston changes would be required to clear the higher valve lift over TDC.

If the stock valve lift is retained, then our Ace head  mods for the AVL will at provide more flow all thru the entire existing lift range, and about 25 cfm more peak flow at the same max valve lift. That is pretty substantial.
With S Cams that have the same lift, but longer duration, it could definitely add up to some power, without having to get involved with piston changes.
With piston change allowing higher valve lift, then it would really wake up even more.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:24:17 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !