Author Topic: No spark fixed, bigger problems now...  (Read 2554 times)

316CMH

• Scooter
on: November 14, 2013, 02:19:36 am
So I got spark, good fuel and everything else that was advised.  In an attempt to get the old girl fired up, I heard a metallic "ping" come from the motor. I stopped attempting to start it with the electric start and opted to very gently rotate the kick start with my hand.  I felt the motor "lock up".

I removed the heads and found that the decompressor that I was havig issues with had came apart.  Aparently there is supposed to be a small pin that holds the long, slender valve in place.  This small silver valve, had fallen into the motor and apparently landed on top of the piston, hence the "pinging" sound.  There are 2 very small scars on the top of the piston now and 2 on the head.  Valves appear to be in good shape. And no scars or scratches on the cylinder wall.

What do guys recommend?  Should I get a new piston and head?  Money's tight, was thinking about just getting a new decompressor pin and putting it all back together.

Any thoughts?

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:29:21 am
Hmmmm.....money is tight....if nothing else feels out of place...i would run it....nothing to loose....any additional damage should make itself apparent with some checking...is the cylinder all clear now?...nothing else in the chamber,?...button up and crank it....but more experienced folks on this group...so lets see what others have to say...but I can relate to money being tight....

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:26:25 am
If the only damage is as you described I think you'll be fine.  Doesn't sound like the engine spun long enough to do any actual damage.  Good job aborting the start and not doing any serious damage.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:10:18 pm
The head will most likely be fine, except for the scars which won't be a problem in a low output engine.

The piston never was any good,  even when new. I would recommend planning to replace that at the earliest opportunity.

There is some potential that the rod bearing may have suffered some damage, but would require a full engine strip to determine it. Keep an ear open for knocking sounds in the future.

There is a reasonable expectation that everything will be okay for now.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

316CMH

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:37:50 pm
Thanks guys, just ordered a new decompression valve.  I'm going to button it back up once that arrives.  Like I've said before, main thing is just getting it where it can start by Christmas morning.  My 10 year olds first bike and although it's our project, just seems cooler with it being able to fire up. 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 05:27:51 pm
Clean up the dings in the head and piston. The edges of the dings could be a source of a hot spot and cause detonation. File or sand them down to a smoother surface. You don't had to take them to the full depth, just remove the high spots. Not very likely there is any damage to the rod bearinfs. It takes a pretty hard smack to damage that stuff.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:24:28 pm
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17323.0.html I wrote this in tech tips about 2 months ago.
Titled "I remember Bugcatcher". Now, in hindsight maybe the title should have been "Don't let this pin ruin your day"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:29:41 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:51 am
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17323.0.html I wrote this in tech tips about 2 months ago.
Titled "I remember Bugcatcher". Now, in hindsight maybe the title should have been "Don't let this pin ruin your day"

You can still change the title  ;) Just click on 'Modify' in your original (first) post of that topic and change the subject to whatever you prefer ^
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 01:23:09 am
Done. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

316CMH

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:34:25 pm
Everything back together! I polished the top of the piston and went ahead and cleaned all of the carbon out of the head too.  Still no start!!! It's turning over, spitting out puffs of grey smoke but will not start.  I even tried a couple small spurts of starter fluid.  SUGGESTIONS PLEASE, afraid I'm going to have to give it my son rolling instead of running.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 02:59:49 pm
Check spark, compression, fuel delivery if all ok check the timing.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

316CMH

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 03:14:32 pm
Thanks, getting fuel, seems to be building compression.  The timing scares me