Author Topic: s cams  (Read 47801 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #105 on: April 22, 2014, 05:24:20 pm
75hp in 4th gear?  Who-da-lolly that sounds nice!  I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the installation of them but I'm going to have to try it.

This may be a "no dumb questions" dumb question but, do the cams change the air/fuel mixture at all?  Is re-jetting required?  At some point I'd like the TM32 that a bunch of  you folks are running in your AVLs, and that Tom is running on his Fireballs.  Dan, keep us posted on your tuning of the carbs.

Lot of good, tempting info here.  Thanks guys.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #106 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:27 pm
75hp in 4th gear?  Who-da-lolly that sounds nice!  I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the installation of them but I'm going to have to try it.

This may be a "no dumb questions" dumb question but, do the cams change the air/fuel mixture at all?  Is re-jetting required?  At some point I'd like the TM32 that a bunch of  you folks are running in your AVLs, and that Tom is running on his Fireballs.  Dan, keep us posted on your tuning of the carbs.

Lot of good, tempting info here.  Thanks guys.

Probably wouldn't require a jetting change. Maybe if you have not got your existing jetting up to par at higher rpms, it might need some attention. Always a good idea to do some plug chops when making changes to the engine.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #107 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:58 pm
DanB,

Sounds good.  Have you gotten into 5th yet?  What is your final gearing, stock or are you geared up one tooth on your countershaft sprocket?

boggy,

No re-jetting was required on the Harris Scrambler after installing the 'S' cams.  But always check after changing thing to the motor.

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #108 on: April 23, 2014, 07:08:42 pm
Good to know Bill, thanks.  And I know we are running the same PWK carb.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: April 24, 2014, 05:39:57 pm
Dan, keep us posted on your tuning of the carbs.

Will do Boggy!

Have you gotten into 5th yet?  What is your final gearing, stock or are you geared up one tooth on your countershaft sprocket?

Thanks Bill. No I haven't!  I decided I needed to give the front disc caliper a good cleaning and lube. Then the cold rain came!  I'm on an 18t sprocket and I think that's stock on the AVL Electra.

I'm fairly certain I'll be using a 18x main and p4 now and then a p2 this summer. No data to support any of this however until I get some quality chop time.  This weekend it'll be in the mid 40s. Not ideal.... But fun to be had!

Gotta say, wouldn't have done any of this without this forum! Thanks all! As Bill says, "Royal Enfield people are good people".
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: April 26, 2014, 02:02:13 am
Quick update:  beautiful day. Upper 60s. Found 5th gear, and made good progress to an indicated 85mph; could have done more I think, but the police made me stop and messed up my plug chop run. Now I gotta pay an extra bill... Gotta pay more attention to the median!

Sweet spot is right around 70 in 5th at about 4000ish rpm. Very pleasant.

Plug chops. I think I need help reading my plugs - they all look the same to me! but I'll start a different thread.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:20:08 am by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: April 26, 2014, 01:10:03 pm
Quick update:  beautiful day. Upper 60s. Found 5th gear, and made good progress to an indicated 85mph; could have done more I think, but the police made me stop and messed up my plug chop run. Now I gotta pay an extra bill... Gotta pay more attention to the median!

Sweet spot is right around 70 in 5th at about 4000ish rpm. Very pleasant.
That all looks very promising, Dan. I remember doing the 100 MPH + runs on the machine I tuned a few years back and a little part of me would have been happy to get 'done' by the police, just to make it more 'official'  ;D
 B.W.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: April 26, 2014, 02:03:29 pm
She clocked me at 74 when I asked her how fast. I tried to tell explain what I was doing and she was having none of it.  Lucky I let off the throttle when I did see her; 20 mph over would get me a court date.  :o Last time I checked (about 2 years ago) my speedo is +6 over true speed.

Have to say, a very attractive officer of the law
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: April 26, 2014, 03:24:19 pm
That all looks very promising, Dan. I remember doing the 100 MPH + runs on the machine I tuned a few years back and a little part of me would have been happy to get 'done' by the police, just to make it more 'official'  ;D
 B.W.

That thought crosses my mind as well when I am doing top speed runs.  "Wait.  Are you sure about that officer?  I don't think my bike will even go that fast.  Maybe we should find a better road and test to make sure your radar is working properly."  ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: April 26, 2014, 03:41:23 pm
That thought crosses my mind as well when I am doing top speed runs.  "Wait.  Are you sure about that officer?  I don't think my bike will even go that fast.  Maybe we should find a better road and test to make sure your radar is working properly."  ;D

Scottie J

;D ;D ;D

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #115 on: April 26, 2014, 07:11:03 pm
Had my '09 dyno'd with less than 1000 miles, didn't know anything at the time, with a k&n air filter, stock exhaust, stock carb rejetted,
    I believe it was 18 hp
                                           Matt in Glendale Az

Adrian

Reply #116 on: April 27, 2014, 02:34:03 pm
All this is, of course, part of the downside of speed testing on public highways! I can't speak for US law enforcement, but over here in the UK getting stopped for doing 100 mph is a licence buster. And who knows who else reads these forums?  :o

A.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: April 27, 2014, 02:43:13 pm
The nice thing about Colorado is that a lot of the police officers are Hot Rodders themselves.  I've heard several stories of guys being pulled over, interrogated about what is under the hood and then challenged to a race.  I personally haven't had this experience but I did have one officer compliment me at a stop light about how great the Blackhawk sounds and looks, and have had 2 others come up to me while filling up at the gas station.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #118 on: April 28, 2014, 05:40:54 pm
Hey Guys, i was able to acquire a used pair of s cams from hitchcocks!  I am really hazy on the installation.  Is it the same installation proccess as BW's S cams?  I hope they have the same effect.  H's rated them at 6/10 which is slightly above average.  They look fine to me except one of them has a slight rust color on the front. 

To bad i got a DUI last weekend looks like my enfield will be sitting all summer if i lose my license!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:20 pm
Hey Guys, i was able to acquire a used pair of s cams from hitchcocks!  I am really hazy on the installation.  Is it the same installation proccess as BW's S cams?
They should work just the same, Just use the same procedure already described for fitting them - they should be good to go 'on the marks', but the inlet may need retarding by 1 tooth at worst.
 B.W.